Masectomy, reconstruction and radiation

Options
denbralou
denbralou Member Posts: 66
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone had their implants in and then had to have radiation, if so, how did the procedure go. I have 3 more treatments to go and then a double masectomy with immediate reconstruction. They are not sure if I will have to have radiation until my margins come back, but I am worried if I have to have radiation, this will hamper the reconstruction process. Thanks all.

Comments

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I had a lumpectomy, followed
    I had a lumpectomy, followed by rads, but, wanted to wish you good luck!

I am sure that someone that has gone thru this will post for you!
  • denbralou
    Options

I had a lumpectomy, followed
    I had a lumpectomy, followed by rads, but, wanted to wish you good luck!

I am sure that someone that has gone thru this will post for you!

Thanks
    Thank you survivorbc09. I am hoping someone can give me some insight on this.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    denbralou said:

Thanks
    Thank you survivorbc09. I am hoping someone can give me some insight on this.

Sorry noone has posted with
    Sorry noone has posted with the same situation. Hopefully, they will see it and answer your questions. Best of luck to you!

Hugs, Leeza
  • CarrWilson
    CarrWilson Member Posts: 111
    Options
    Hi Denbralou
    I had a mastectomy 2/9/10 with immediate expander placement for reconstruction. My margins did not come back clear, but when they took my case to tumor board, my wonderful plastic surgeon took the area in question, so yeah! he saved me from more surgery by making me pretty!

I was told I could have radiation with the expander in, my PS said it would help with reconstruction to have the skin expanded prior to radiation. (Radiation causes some skin damage, and makes the skin less elastic). I was told that I could not have reconstruction until I was 3 months past the whole chemo/radiation process. (Healing time) This process could take anywhere from 6 months to 1 year. I am sorry I cannot answer all your question, but I am ready for radiation when I have to. (also, my expander is and implant will be placed under the muscle, my PS said this would be better oncologically and cosmetically).

I don't believe that there is any hard and fast rules when it comes to BC, each MD has their own personal preferences, and each woman has to do what is best for her in the long run.

I hope this has helped.

- Carrie
  • denbralou
    Options

Hi Denbralou
    I had a mastectomy 2/9/10 with immediate expander placement for reconstruction. My margins did not come back clear, but when they took my case to tumor board, my wonderful plastic surgeon took the area in question, so yeah! he saved me from more surgery by making me pretty!

I was told I could have radiation with the expander in, my PS said it would help with reconstruction to have the skin expanded prior to radiation. (Radiation causes some skin damage, and makes the skin less elastic). I was told that I could not have reconstruction until I was 3 months past the whole chemo/radiation process. (Healing time) This process could take anywhere from 6 months to 1 year. I am sorry I cannot answer all your question, but I am ready for radiation when I have to. (also, my expander is and implant will be placed under the muscle, my PS said this would be better oncologically and cosmetically).

I don't believe that there is any hard and fast rules when it comes to BC, each MD has their own personal preferences, and each woman has to do what is best for her in the long run.

I hope this has helped.

- Carrie

Hi Carrie, thank you
    Thanks Carrie. I appreciate it. So am I understanding from above is that you have expanders in place and they are going to do radiation when you are ready right?

Denise
  • CarrWilson
    CarrWilson Member Posts: 111
    Options
    denbralou said:

Hi Carrie, thank you
    Thanks Carrie. I appreciate it. So am I understanding from above is that you have expanders in place and they are going to do radiation when you are ready right?

Denise

Still in process
    Hi Denbralou -

Yes, I had the right mastectomy 2/9, so I am 3 weeks post op, they just did the first filling of the expander yesterday. The PS will put in approx 50 cc per week to slowly stretch the muscle and skin. I am not very big, B cup, he said he will put 350-400 cc total. They will start chemo 5-6 weeks post op, then radiation one month after that. These are my approximate time tables. They are going to do a slight augmentation to my left breast during reconstruction to make them match in fullness. So I will have perky 50 year old boobs. ;-)

I am still waiting on some test results, but they will do radiation with the expanders inflated. I know it can be confusing reading another person's story, hope this clarifies. Let us know how you are doing, OK?

-Carrie
  • denbralou
    Options

Still in process
    Hi Denbralou -

Yes, I had the right mastectomy 2/9, so I am 3 weeks post op, they just did the first filling of the expander yesterday. The PS will put in approx 50 cc per week to slowly stretch the muscle and skin. I am not very big, B cup, he said he will put 350-400 cc total. They will start chemo 5-6 weeks post op, then radiation one month after that. These are my approximate time tables. They are going to do a slight augmentation to my left breast during reconstruction to make them match in fullness. So I will have perky 50 year old boobs. ;-)

I am still waiting on some test results, but they will do radiation with the expanders inflated. I know it can be confusing reading another person's story, hope this clarifies. Let us know how you are doing, OK?

-Carrie

Thanks much
    Thanks, I appreciate it. Please keep me posted on how your process if you can. Denise