Port & 1st Chemo Done

canoegirl
canoegirl Member Posts: 169
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Got my port yesterday morning with no complications. Went to a great place from the surgeon right down to the nurses and receptionist. Nurse had to do a "blind" insert to get the IV in, but she got it in! (tried for the hand, but most of those veins are already "blown" and only good for blood draws). Was awake thru procedure. They gave me something to relax me, but since I've gone totally asleep in the past, they just gave me a little and said they'd give me more if I was having anxiety or discomfort during the procedure. Not having much made the recovery time really short and gave me plenty of time to get lunch and head over for chemo. (30 minute drive).

Haven't had any problems with the chemo so far. Been keeping up with the anti-nausea drugs becuase I'm prone to that. (almost kept me an extra day after surgery because of the vomitting). They did say that the worst might not kick in for a couple of days. Anybody have any experience with that? I'm planning on going to work tomorrow. I started the A/C portion of the ACT+Herceptin Chemo.

I know everybody is different, but any thoughts on my ability to work at least an average of 24 hours/week with the AC every 2 weeks? I work in a small office and my boss has been great, but I have a project due the end of the month and may need to "hand it off" to a co-worker. She is already doing quite a bit on it for me, but she'll need notice if she's doing the entire thing.

Thanks, ladies, for all the support you've given.
Marcy

Comments

• mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
    Good to hear that the port

Good to hear that the port surgery and your first chemo went well. Congrats. I am also doing the AC portion of the ACTH. My first chemo was awful (on friday), the oncologist thinks I am very sensitive to it as I reacted within and hour and a half, despite the emend, premeds and anti-nausea and everything else. It is getting better.

I am also working, mostly from home and also have an end of month deadline. My boss too has been very understanding and I do have help. However I plan work through the AC portion and just take my chemo day off which is on a Friday and gives me time to rest over the weekend. I am also having the AC every 3 weeks which is why I think might be able to do it. I have been able to work most of Monday and yesterday. Not as effectively but still got a number of things done despite how I feel. And lying in bed with a laptop does make a big difference.

You might have a better idea by the end of week just how your body is reacting and what you might be able to do.
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    You're my hero
    WOW, Marcy, I can't imagine getting my port in and having chemo the same day! Major kudos to you! I get very worked up over new procedures. I couldn't imagine having both of those on the same day. You are my hero ;)

I had taxotere, adriamycin & cytoxan every 3 weeks for 6 cycles. I always took off the day of chemo, which was always on a Thursday, just so I wouldn't have anxiety about going back to work, not really because I wouldn't have been up to it. I worked the next day, Friday. By that Saturday, I was ready for what I used to call 'chemo weekend'. I stayed in comfy clothes all weekend, watched movies and ate, ate, ate. Obviously, I didn't get nausea but my muscles ached and I got winded easily, so I did't ever fight it. I just relaxed. By Monday I was fine to go to work. I worked 40 hours on my off weeks. After my 4th treatment, I got more and more tired, but I still worked.

Would your boss let you work on the project at home? I have a great boss and if ever I wasn't up for going to work, I would work from home in my PJ's.

Hoping for the best for you...Mar
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Marcy, I am also going to
    Marcy, I am also going to say "kudos to you", port put in and chemo the same day. I think your first round of chemo is a pretty good indication of how your body will handle additional rounds. I didn't have the same cocktail as you but did work 40 hour weeks. I had chemo on Thursday's and took Thursday and Friday off. Best of luck as you continue with treatments. Keep us posted.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    You'll do great
    Take it easy, but don't assume you'll have to take off of work. I worked 40 hours while on TAC chemo. Yes, the worst can hit you a few days after the infusion. See how you feel and take things as they come. Good luck and congrats on getting through the 1st one. That's huge!

Mimi
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Congratulations
    on getting your first chemo checked off the list!

I had a different cocktail from yours, but was able to work mostly F/T throughout chemo. I had my infusions (C/T) on Wednesday afternoons, and then would take Thursday and Friday off work. Saturdays were usually the days I felt the worst, and was able to go back to work on Mondays each time.

Keeping up with the anti-nausea meds is key. I never had problems with nausea either, and I'm sure it was due to taking my meds on schedule. Of course, you already know about drinking lots of water, too.

Take care, and keep us posted on how you're doing.

Cindy
  • SusaninKailua
    SusaninKailua Member Posts: 6
    Port and 1st Chemo Done
    Congratulations, Marcy!
    You are doing great and have been through a lot already! Keep it up! I found that it is really important to keep up with the anti-nausea meds. and keep ahead of the nausea/vomiting ... stay hydrated! I usually had "low" energy days and more nausea after AC on day three and four (and took Ondansetron for nausea as needed)but then felt better from there on to my next treatment. Once you get used to your treatment schedule I think you can be able to do part-time, esp. on week two. Can you work at home? Remember that the fatigue will gradually become more apparent as your treatments progress so factor that in.

How nice to have supportive colleagues!

All the best and much Aloha,
    SusaninKailua
  • canoegirl
    canoegirl Member Posts: 169

Port and 1st Chemo Done
    Congratulations, Marcy!
    You are doing great and have been through a lot already! Keep it up! I found that it is really important to keep up with the anti-nausea meds. and keep ahead of the nausea/vomiting ... stay hydrated! I usually had "low" energy days and more nausea after AC on day three and four (and took Ondansetron for nausea as needed)but then felt better from there on to my next treatment. Once you get used to your treatment schedule I think you can be able to do part-time, esp. on week two. Can you work at home? Remember that the fatigue will gradually become more apparent as your treatments progress so factor that in.

How nice to have supportive colleagues!

All the best and much Aloha,
    SusaninKailua

Thanks everybody. My boss
    Thanks everybody. My boss is willing to let me work at home or on weekends. He has a "do what you need to do" policy and a "take care of yourself and get better" policy. The only problem with working from home is that most of my work involves a program that I don't have at home and accessing it through remote access on the internet makes it painfully slow. The cursor just inches accross the screen. Still, I may try to use it on days where I think I need to stay home, and just charge a portion of the time to my client.

I did get slightly queasy on the 90 minute ride to get my Neulastin shot (the rest are being overnighted to me tomorrow) But I popped a pill and ate some crackers. My dad-in-law drove me and he tends to switch lanes quickly which may have added to it.

Hoping I'm up to working tomorrow.

Hugs,
    Marcy
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    mimivac said:

You'll do great
    Take it easy, but don't assume you'll have to take off of work. I worked 40 hours while on TAC chemo. Yes, the worst can hit you a few days after the infusion. See how you feel and take things as they come. Good luck and congrats on getting through the 1st one. That's huge!

Mimi

Congrats on getting that
    Congrats on getting that first chemo done! Good luck!

Hugs, Leeza
  • Chrispea
    Chrispea Member Posts: 123 Member
    canoegirl said:

Thanks everybody. My boss
    Thanks everybody. My boss is willing to let me work at home or on weekends. He has a "do what you need to do" policy and a "take care of yourself and get better" policy. The only problem with working from home is that most of my work involves a program that I don't have at home and accessing it through remote access on the internet makes it painfully slow. The cursor just inches accross the screen. Still, I may try to use it on days where I think I need to stay home, and just charge a portion of the time to my client.

I did get slightly queasy on the 90 minute ride to get my Neulastin shot (the rest are being overnighted to me tomorrow) But I popped a pill and ate some crackers. My dad-in-law drove me and he tends to switch lanes quickly which may have added to it.

Hoping I'm up to working tomorrow.

Hugs,
    Marcy

Hi Marcy,
    I did OK on AC.

Hi Marcy,

I did OK on AC. I'd get chemo on Wednesday.. and Thursday I was OK, just a bit of nausea but the meds helped. I think Saturday was my worst day, and by Sunday I was fine. I had 4 rounds of that every 3 weeks.

Little different for me on the Taxotere, but everyone is different. I just did my last round of that this past Wed. :)

Good luck to you!
  • brenda247
    brenda247 Member Posts: 124
    THATS GREAT!!!
    THATS GREAT TO HEAR YOU ALREADY MADE A JUMP START.. I WENT THROUGH SIMULAR THE SAME AS YOU AND IT KICKED MY BUTT!! I WAS SICK WHEN I GOT MY PORT THEY GAVE ME NO NAUSUA MEDS WHEN I HAD THE PORT PUT IN BUT BELIEVE ME I POPPED THE ONES I GOT FOR CHEMO AND IT FINALLY GAVE ME SOME RELIEF.. BUT AFTER MY SECOND CHEMO EVERYTHING WENT SMOOTHER WITH THE NAUSUA MY COUNTS WERE MESSED UP BUT MY DRS HANDLED THAT WITH MORE STICKS.. LOL.. BUT AS TIME WENT ON IT GOT BETTER AND NOW ITS OVER.. SO HANG IN THERE AND BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!! YOU DOING GREAT SO FAR!!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

Congratulations
    on getting your first chemo checked off the list!

I had a different cocktail from yours, but was able to work mostly F/T throughout chemo. I had my infusions (C/T) on Wednesday afternoons, and then would take Thursday and Friday off work. Saturdays were usually the days I felt the worst, and was able to go back to work on Mondays each time.

Keeping up with the anti-nausea meds is key. I never had problems with nausea either, and I'm sure it was due to taking my meds on schedule. Of course, you already know about drinking lots of water, too.

Take care, and keep us posted on how you're doing.

Cindy

Congrats Marcy! Praying for
    Congrats Marcy! Praying for continued good luck!

Sue :)