Hair

GayleMc
GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi all. As was expected, my hair began to fall out on day 14 after 1st chemo. I finally gave in and had my head shaved. I am 1 week post second chemo and I swear, hair has grown on my bald head. I was so excited, only to find out it is also falling out. Should I keep shaving my head until I'm all finished? I have two more chemos of T/C. About how long before hair is going to come and stay? I'm sure this has been addressed before, but can't seem to find the answer. Thank you.

Comments

• ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    Hair
    Hi,my hair came out also at my 14th day after first chemo.I had to shave it twice total.That was sept.And I just shed my wig and hats.Its still only about two inches long and is salt and pepper..But i am proud of it.I am here to tell you that you will also get their also.That was one of the hardest things for me.The ladys on this sight was such a God scent to me/helping me get through it.Good luck to you. Pat.
  • chipoo
    chipoo Member Posts: 32
    I just finished 6 cycles of
    I just finished 6 cycles of chemo. 1 1/2 weeks ago. Like you, my hair started to fall out on day 14. I also shaved my head. I did not have to shave it again. My hair started to grow back before my 6th cycle of chemo. It is really starting to grow now and is coming in the same color (dark brown) as my original color. Your hair may also start to grow back even before you finish your chemo.
    Take care,
    Marjorie
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Gayle,
    you probably won't have to shave again-if I were you I wouldn't. At some point it will all fall out I would think.One thing that I used believe it or not for a smooth head when I had stubbles was a lint roller over my head(a fellow bc friend told me about it)! If it is loose,it actually does come out with it-it did for me..
    Can't remember when my hair started growing back,sorry..
  • GayleMc

Gayle,
    you probably won't have to shave again-if I were you I wouldn't. At some point it will all fall out I would think.One thing that I used believe it or not for a smooth head when I had stubbles was a lint roller over my head(a fellow bc friend told me about it)! If it is loose,it actually does come out with it-it did for me..
    Can't remember when my hair started growing back,sorry..

Thanks everybody!!! I think
    Thanks everybody!!! I think I'll wait a little and use the lint roller. It's prickly and ugly, but it's hair!!!
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Gayle, I had the same
    Gayle, I had the same cocktail as you. My hair fell out on day 14 and I, too, used the link roller after that. I had it buzzed again after the 3rd treatment because my onco said it would all fall out anyway. It never did! It's growing very slowly but nonetheless it's growing. I was 4 months from my last treatment when I ditched the head coverings and just sported around in my Jamie Lee Curtis hairstyle. Good luck to YOU!
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Gayle,
    I, too, had stubble throughout my chemo regimen. I had it buzzed once and then never again. Like others, mine started growing back after the 5th treatment (out of 6). I am now 10 months post chemo and have thick, short hair. Haven't worn a wig in a long time. It's hard where you are right now, but you'll get past it. Good luck.

Mimi
  • Chrispea
    Chrispea Member Posts: 123 Member
    The wig people told me not
    The wig people told me not to shave my head because it would be itchy under the wig. So I took the clippers and took it down to about an inch or so.

My hair fell out completely. It started on day 16, then a few days later, just all came out.

I had 4 rounds of A/C, then when they switched to Taxotere, I noticed that I had stubble. I was super excited! I asked some people on here if it would stay around, some said theirs did other said theirs didn't. Mine has stuck around and it's been 9 weeks now. I have about 1/4 inch or so. I did notice some little hairs in my sleeping cap, but, the majority of the hairs are "holding fast" as my dad would say.

My hair is coming in dark, but I always highlighted it and colored it, so I haven't seen my real hair in years.

Now, if my eyelashes and eyebrows would just grow back!
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    GayleMc said:

Thanks everybody!!! I think
    Thanks everybody!!! I think I'll wait a little and use the lint roller. It's prickly and ugly, but it's hair!!!

Hey Gayle! Just wishing you
    Hey Gayle! Just wishing you good luck with your chemo!

Hugs, Debby
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Chrispea said:

The wig people told me not to shave my head because it would be itchy under the wig. So I took the clippers and took it down to about an inch or so.

My hair fell out completely. It started on day 16, then a few days later, just all came out.

I had 4 rounds of A/C, then when they switched to Taxotere, I noticed that I had stubble. I was super excited! I asked some people on here if it would stay around, some said theirs did other said theirs didn't. Mine has stuck around and it's been 9 weeks now. I have about 1/4 inch or so. I did notice some little hairs in my sleeping cap, but, the majority of the hairs are "holding fast" as my dad would say.

My hair is coming in dark, but I always highlighted it and colored it, so I haven't seen my real hair in years.

I have been inspecting my
    I have been inspecting my body and I have some fine hair on my scalp(I finished jan 21) none on my arms, legs, or underarms. I am very light and my hair is slow growing. I have to take baths 3 times a day because I had bum surgery. the other day i noticed it (TMI) down there!!!!! I want it on MY HEAD. but at least it is growing. the acupuncturist noticed my brows. no eyelashes. There is hope!!! ( I was getting worried that it would be permanant} as I have had weird and stupid sideeffects. Sorry about the TMI
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Chrispea said:

Good luck Gayle! Looks like
    Good luck Gayle! Looks like you have great advice from the great survivors here!

Hugs, Leeza
  • GayleMc
    jnl said:

Good luck Gayle! Looks like
    Good luck Gayle! Looks like you have great advice from the great survivors here!

Hugs, Leeza

Thanks to each and every one
    Thanks to each and every one of you for the advice and encouragement. I have followed the advice and not shaved my head again. I am sure more will fall out but I am going to leave it alone if I can. I have turned the corner from chemo # 2 and am feeling quite well. I am so ready to get on with numbers 3 and 4 as I'm sure everone in treatment is. Couldn't have done it without this site and all my new friends.
  • trooper52
    trooper52 Member Posts: 4
    hair
    my hair started to come out 14-16 days after 1st chemo. i shaved it right away and then two more times as stubble would grow unevenly. body hair lost next which was kinda nice not shaving for a while; but eyelashes and eyebrows were last to go. eyelashes didn't fall completely out until 6-8 weeks following last chemo. eyebrows came back in quickly.

hair on my head is coming in very slow, thicker on top than the back....was it always that way? LOL! don't think so and am waiting patiently and eager to toss the wigs!