Has anyone survived stage 4 stomach cancer?

Comments

• OCTOMAN
    OCTOMAN Member Posts: 21
    LarryT said:

I am stage 4, stomach cancer, have survived for 2 years, 50 years old, and male.

To your question: I eat 5 to 10 servings of vegetables and fruits. A breast cancer study showed that having >5 servings of vegetables and fruits a day cut down cancer recurrence rate by 50%. I do not eat red meat. I do not eat salty, spicy, or oily foods. A rule of thumb is to eat fresh foods. Some traditional Chinese foods are bad in that regard due to special treatments for preservation. I exercise every day, starting from 10 min. a day last year to now 35 min a day. I sleep 8 hours a day. I appreciate life and am enjoying my life.

I went thru chemo and radiation therapies. The success rates of those treatments are low, about 30% per my oncology doctor, but unfortunately are the best one can find today. Never give up those conventional treatments. In fact the best defense against cancer is our body's immunity system. And the best way to build up one's immunity system is to do what I said above. Unconventional approaches can be supplemental. Miracles do happen. I have seen at least one success case. Just do not bet on it.

My life was not always like what I said above. I used to smoke, slept 4 to 5 hours a day, never ate breakfast, skipped lunch more often than not, had high pressure from work, and thus ill tempered. Looking back, I admit I deserved the cancer.

Encourage your brother. Never give up. Never!

stomach cancer
    just to say 7 years ago I was diagnoesed with stomach cancer which had spread to my liver and kidneys,so no surgery possible or radiation either.My cancers do not respond to it.so chemo was the only option.But Ilive in England where treatment is free,so long waiting lists. So I too went to the immune system,fruit,exersize and no meat but I also went for no stress and plenty of relaxation I must not get tense,lose my temper,get angry,ect.after 2 years no chemo I had a PET scan(The travelling PET scan,was in a big van) had arrived in my town the scan showed the liver and kidney cancers were dormant but my stomach cancer was still active.So had immune system boosting worked,or was the surgeon's opinion I had liver and kidney cancers wrong that my late diagnoses meant the cancer had spread? (I had my first symtoms 12years ago and a barium meal and x-ray test,the diagnoses was I did not show a cancer only inflamation.I went on for heart tests then they found my heart was in great shape.Psychological tests.Any way,this is my experience,make of it what you will.Did you know they are working on a vaccine for cancer treatment that would help the immune system PS They wanted to remove my stomach and investigate my liver,after the PET scan result.But I would only agree to the cancer removal, they did not agree to that. They believed in maximum treatment.They have lost a lot of court cases through under treatment. by the way I will be eighty next year.I presume.
  • Tonia11
    Tonia11 Member Posts: 57
    OCTOMAN said:

stomach cancer
    just to say 7 years ago I was diagnoesed with stomach cancer which had spread to my liver and kidneys,so no surgery possible or radiation either.My cancers do not respond to it.so chemo was the only option.But Ilive in England where treatment is free,so long waiting lists. So I too went to the immune system,fruit,exersize and no meat but I also went for no stress and plenty of relaxation I must not get tense,lose my temper,get angry,ect.after 2 years no chemo I had a PET scan(The travelling PET scan,was in a big van) had arrived in my town the scan showed the liver and kidney cancers were dormant but my stomach cancer was still active.So had immune system boosting worked,or was the surgeon's opinion I had liver and kidney cancers wrong that my late diagnoses meant the cancer had spread? (I had my first symtoms 12years ago and a barium meal and x-ray test,the diagnoses was I did not show a cancer only inflamation.I went on for heart tests then they found my heart was in great shape.Psychological tests.Any way,this is my experience,make of it what you will.Did you know they are working on a vaccine for cancer treatment that would help the immune system PS They wanted to remove my stomach and investigate my liver,after the PET scan result.But I would only agree to the cancer removal, they did not agree to that. They believed in maximum treatment.They have lost a lot of court cases through under treatment. by the way I will be eighty next year.I presume.

Wow
    My husband seems to be in the same boat. He has advanced stomach cancer and surgery is not an option. His first round of chemo did not work nor did radiation. He's on his second round of chemo now. So do you still have the stomach tumor? Mets to the liver and lungs were found on his last CT. We were trying to change his diet but he was losing so much weight so fast we had to add some fat to his diet. His weight has stablized a bit so we are going to try adjusting his diet. He does walk every night. Sometimes he gets so winded but he keeps pushing on. By the way, my husband is only 38 yrs old. Your story is very inspiring.
  • OCTOMAN
    OCTOMAN Member Posts: 21
    Tonia11 said:

Wow
    My husband seems to be in the same boat. He has advanced stomach cancer and surgery is not an option. His first round of chemo did not work nor did radiation. He's on his second round of chemo now. So do you still have the stomach tumor? Mets to the liver and lungs were found on his last CT. We were trying to change his diet but he was losing so much weight so fast we had to add some fat to his diet. His weight has stablized a bit so we are going to try adjusting his diet. He does walk every night. Sometimes he gets so winded but he keeps pushing on. By the way, my husband is only 38 yrs old. Your story is very inspiring.

cancer wieght loss
    Tonia11 I still have an active cancer I have not lost any weight.I do take a body bulk drink instead of coffee or tea, since I found I had cancer I also play golf every day,so I do a lot of walking I have a peddle machine and a bouncy ball which I use whilst watching TV.Exersize gives my body a boost,I never had chemo,since they discovered my liver and kidneys were clear they will not give it to me. Stomach removal is my only option. I told the surgeon I would rather fight cancer on a full stomach.I have no medication,except iron tablets for blood loss I wish you all the luck,I have had with fighting cancer.
    1309 Member Posts: 2
    stomach cancer stage 4 survival
    HI

MY MAM HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH STAGE 4 STOMACH CANCER.SHE WAS COMPLAINING FOR EIGHT MONTHS ABOUT STOMACH ACID AND PAIN.SHE EVENTUALLY GOT A SCOPE DONE WITH A LOT OF DOCTORS VISITS.THE HOSPITAL TOLD HER IT WAS STOMACH CANCER AFTER THE SCAN THE TUMOUR WAS IN 50%OF HER STOMACH.THE DOCTORS THEN DECIDED TO DO KEY HOLE SURGERY TO REMOVE 3 NODULES TO TEST FOR CANCER. WE GOT TO TALK TO THE CONSULTANT YESTERDAY AND HE DECIDED TO START CHEMO. I ASKED HIM WHY SHE WAS NOT HAVING SURGERY HE SAID BECAUSE IT WAS IN STAGE 4 AND THE NODULES ARE ON THE BIG BOWEL.I AM VERY CONFUSED UPSET AND SHOCKED SURELY THEY CAN GET SURGERY AND CHEMO THE LIVER AND LUNGS ARE CLEAR IS THEIR HOPE CAN THE CHEMO KILL THE CANCER HOW IS IT AT STAGE 4 CAN ANYONE HELP OR HAD A SIMILIAR EXPERIENCE PLEASE HELP SHE HAS SO MUCH TO LIVE FOR I HAVE A 3 YEAR OLD AND A BABY ON THE WAY AND I REALLY CANT DEAL WITH THISVERY WELL HER APPETITE IS REALLY BAD I FEEL LIKE I AM FORCING FOOD INTO HER SHE NEEDS TO BE STRONG FOR CHEMO
  • Michelle1429
    Michelle1429 Member Posts: 3

hello
    if there was no VISIBLE tumor, may i ask HOW the doctors diagnosed you ? i mean, with what method did they use to diagnose you? what symtoms did you have that made you go to the doctor? i can NOT get my doctor to take me seriously or give me any kind of catscan or anything else. i have symptoms, like, bloating after meals, feeling like throwing up, tired all the time, stomach discomfort......etc... but the doctor just says i have heartburn w/o running any test!

2nd opinion....Gastrologist
    Hello. The symptoms that you're having sound exactly like what my mom was going through. She started feeling them in May of 09. She went to the hospital & they x-rayed her abdomin & said that she was constipated & sent her home with stool softeners. With that said, they shouldve referred her to a gastrologist.

Towards the end of Nov, she began to feel bloated even more so she scheduled a Dr's appt on Dec 3. On Dec 4, her Dr called her back & told her to rush to the emergency room because 82% of her kidneys had failed. So she immediately went to the emrgency room. They were stomped as to why a healty 62 year old woman with absolutely no history of any health problems in her GENERATION would fall so i'll. The ER Dr did a routine abdominal exan & he found a large mass in there. They decided that the "drainage tubes" from her kidneys to her bladder had failed & that's why she was so bloated. They didn't know why so they placed stints in them. oddly enough, 1 of the stinks literally fell out so they decided to do a CT scan. After running CT & PET scans, xrays, ultrasounds, biopsies etc,.

It was just discovered (just 2 days ago) that she has stage 4 stomach cancer in her stomach, it has spread to some lymph nodes, they found it in her spine by her neck & a tumor so large that's pressing against her kidneys & intestines in which is preventing her from urinating & having a bm.

They want to start chemo asap but we are trying a natural approach. Ever heard of B17 (aka Leatril)? Probably not, but its a natural cure to cancer.

My advice, get 2 or 3 opinions!! If your Dr is not taking you seriously, go see a Gastrologist...they'll find it if its there.

God bless... I will say a prayer for you.
  • Michelle1429

My husband was diagnosed with stage IV stomach cancer this April, had his stomach removed 2 days later, and is now on 2nd round of 8 chemo treatments, to be followed, most likely, by radiation. We are also looking for survivors and also want to know any dietary or other tips or stories from survivors. My husband is 46 and our son is 9. Is your brother also receiving chemo, post-gastrectomy?

We get much well-meaning advice from friends, but nobody has any experience with stage IV stomach cancer and we strongly share your desire for stories from experience and any research-based confirmation of dietary or other ways to improve the prognosis. I've heard about black cummin seed and about kombucha tea but not fom anybody with research-based or direct knowledge of stage IV stomach cancer. The advice to eat fresh fruits and vegetables seems so logical, but my husband's doctors advise cooking any but the softest fruits (so he's eating only melon, avocado, and papaya fresh). They also want him to eat lots of protein and carbs--frustrating advice, because they've also said he should avoid beans and other high-fiber non-meat sources of protein. He wants to eat lentils, but we can't get anyone even to advise us on that! One doctor has said to replace most lactose-containing foods with soymilk or tofu, but we have had little consistency in dietary advice even from medical professionals.

Our online access is away from home, but I hope we can be in touch. Neither my husband nor I has used a chat room before, so we may need tips on "netiquette": Do we exchange emails or usernames, or how should we proceed? Does your brother know English? (or Spanish?) and want to communicate directly with my husband? I wish your brother well and hope we can continue to talk and learn from each others' and others' experiences!

Fist off, I hope this finds
    Fist off, I hope this finds you & your family in good health & spirit.

I just joined today & was trying to get personal opinions... I just wanted to share with you some things that I found interesting. My mother was just diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer... We just started her on a B17 diet. You can youtube it to find more about it. I strongly recommend even for you & your children (if you have any)... Buy organic apricots... Take the kernal off of the seed & eat the seed. Its high in B17. B17 is the natural cancer fighter that is in a lot of fruits but if grown in chemicals made to speed the process up & enlarge the fruit as it grows, the chemicals kills the natural B17. B17 is made to stabilze those cancer cells that we all have. A lot of our fruits lack it because of the chemicals. Also try peach & apple seeds. They MUST be organic.

I hope this helps.

God bless!!!
  • Michelle1429
    SunnyD961 said:

Stomach cancer survivor again...
    Hello. I am a 25-year-old Black female. I didn't know why I was sick at the time, but I was 23 years old, and I wasn't actually diagnosed with Stage IV stomach cancer until after my 24th birthday, mental and emotional toll, and a partial-gastrectomy in Feb. 2008. I started chemotherapy soon after surgery for 6 months finishing in Aug. 2008. Not even a month after my last cycle I was having symptoms again, and by Sept. I couldn't take it anymore. I knew why I was in pain, not having an appetite, getting bloated, and wanting to vomit. My heart told me my cancer was coming back. As of Sept. 2008, I am currently battling stomach cancer again. I will continue to go through every drug there is until there is no more, as long as I have more time with my family. My 3 year old son needs his mother around as long as I can be. As long as my Lord allows me to be here. I am going to fight until the end for my son, and my husband. Yes, there will be pain along the way. I am willing to bear it. Whoever said life's experiences would be easy and painless?

I have been through too much death in my short life to allow an invasion of my body to take me to my deathbed lying down. Never. My father died when I was 3 months old, my brother at 14 yrs., my step-father at 16 yrs., my mother at 21 yrs. and my grandmother (her mother) at 22 yrs. old. Not to mention, other uncles and aunts, cousins and friends along the way. I shouldn't be afraid of death by now, but I am scared shitless. lol I should hate the world and everyone in it, but I don't. I should have given up long before I was stricken with cancer, but I haven't. I'm not going to.

You tell your brother to fight for all he is worth. It will never be easy or painless all the time, but to have another moment with his children, nieces and nephews, parents, siblings, and friends. Maybe one day they will find a cure for us, and maybe not. He shouldn't allow today's drug pharmaceuticals predict his outcome tomorrow. Medicine has made huge strides over the years, and I don't think it will ever stop. So why should he? There is always someone worse off than you. Keep living and keep fighting.

Hello,
    I hope this finds you

Hello,

I hope this finds you in good health & spirit.

I'd like to suggest a few things to help you overcome this obstacle iin your life. I know that it might not seem much & may not be the answer but please try including this in your daily diet.

Buy ORGANIC apricots. After eating, break open the she'll & eat the seed. It MUST organic. You can youtube "the world without cancer" and do a little research. I promise that it can't hurt to try.

I stronly believe that He wouldn't put things before us that we cannot handle. He made the fruits of this earth. The apricot seed is enriched with vitamin B17. In my opinion, this is Gods cure for cancer. We believe in God & the passages in the Bible. Doctors play God & believe in their meidical book...the one with all of the medications to choose from.

Google B17 & see for yourself. My mom was just diagnosed with stage 4 in her stomach. We are treating her naturally. She refuses otherwise.

I truely do apologize for bothering you but I want people with cancer to know their options.

At least try the apricot seed.

God Bless!!!
  • Rhenae
    Rhenae Member Posts: 3
    1309 said:

HI

MY MAM HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH STAGE 4 STOMACH CANCER.SHE WAS COMPLAINING FOR EIGHT MONTHS ABOUT STOMACH ACID AND PAIN.SHE EVENTUALLY GOT A SCOPE DONE WITH A LOT OF DOCTORS VISITS.THE HOSPITAL TOLD HER IT WAS STOMACH CANCER AFTER THE SCAN THE TUMOUR WAS IN 50%OF HER STOMACH.THE DOCTORS THEN DECIDED TO DO KEY HOLE SURGERY TO REMOVE 3 NODULES TO TEST FOR CANCER. WE GOT TO TALK TO THE CONSULTANT YESTERDAY AND HE DECIDED TO START CHEMO. I ASKED HIM WHY SHE WAS NOT HAVING SURGERY HE SAID BECAUSE IT WAS IN STAGE 4 AND THE NODULES ARE ON THE BIG BOWEL.I AM VERY CONFUSED UPSET AND SHOCKED SURELY THEY CAN GET SURGERY AND CHEMO THE LIVER AND LUNGS ARE CLEAR IS THEIR HOPE CAN THE CHEMO KILL THE CANCER HOW IS IT AT STAGE 4 CAN ANYONE HELP OR HAD A SIMILIAR EXPERIENCE PLEASE HELP SHE HAS SO MUCH TO LIVE FOR I HAVE A 3 YEAR OLD AND A BABY ON THE WAY AND I REALLY CANT DEAL WITH THISVERY WELL HER APPETITE IS REALLY BAD I FEEL LIKE I AM FORCING FOOD INTO HER SHE NEEDS TO BE STRONG FOR CHEMO

Hi over a yr after surgery at 49 yr old
    Get all the protien in her you can i was told i had stage 4 and had an imeadate surgery they took most of my stomach out went 9 months all clear without chemo then ct scan showed new tumors on oviers so more surgery total hysterectomy now doing Xeloda chemo for 6 cycles only in cycle one but in the nine month after surgery i gain 29 pounds i had lost 80 before surgery but any way my oncology doc says i am doing great protien protien any way you can get it special k meal bars have 10 grams in a swmall amount of food hope this helps.
  • Rhenae
    1309 said:

HI

Get all the protien in her you can i was told i had stage 4 and had an imeadate surgery they took most of my stomach out went 9 months all clear without chemo then ct scan showed new tumors on oviers so more surgery total hysterectomy now doing Xeloda chemo for 6 cycles only in cycle one but in the nine month after surgery i gain 29 pounds i had lost 80 before surgery but any way my oncology doc says i am doing great protien protien any way you can get it special k meal bars have 10 grams in a swmall amount of food hope this helps.
  • TrudiB
    TrudiB Member Posts: 1

My husband was diagnosed with stage IV stomach cancer this April, had his stomach removed 2 days later, and is now on 2nd round of 8 chemo treatments, to be followed, most likely, by radiation. We are also looking for survivors and also want to know any dietary or other tips or stories from survivors. My husband is 46 and our son is 9. Is your brother also receiving chemo, post-gastrectomy?

We get much well-meaning advice from friends, but nobody has any experience with stage IV stomach cancer and we strongly share your desire for stories from experience and any research-based confirmation of dietary or other ways to improve the prognosis. I've heard about black cummin seed and about kombucha tea but not fom anybody with research-based or direct knowledge of stage IV stomach cancer. The advice to eat fresh fruits and vegetables seems so logical, but my husband's doctors advise cooking any but the softest fruits (so he's eating only melon, avocado, and papaya fresh). They also want him to eat lots of protein and carbs--frustrating advice, because they've also said he should avoid beans and other high-fiber non-meat sources of protein. He wants to eat lentils, but we can't get anyone even to advise us on that! One doctor has said to replace most lactose-containing foods with soymilk or tofu, but we have had little consistency in dietary advice even from medical professionals.

Our online access is away from home, but I hope we can be in touch. Neither my husband nor I has used a chat room before, so we may need tips on "netiquette": Do we exchange emails or usernames, or how should we proceed? Does your brother know English? (or Spanish?) and want to communicate directly with my husband? I wish your brother well and hope we can continue to talk and learn from each others' and others' experiences!

Has anyone ever survived stage 4 stomach cancer
    HI, my mother in law was recently disgnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer, which has spread to her liver, doctors realized that she has spot on cancer cells on her liver. she currently has swallowing issues therefore she cannot eat through her mouth, she had a tube inserted in her small intestine to build her system back up in hopes that she will be able to undergo chemotherapy to shrink some of the cells and then do surgey. the doctors however does not know at this point if chemotherapy will be able to help her and they fear that the amount of time it will take to rebuild her system to even do chemo or surgery will be too long and the disease would have grown rapidly and beyond the point of any help. i am seeking some form of advice for my family, some survial rates, some information of what we can so to expedite the process, so she can get some form of treatment. i am in need of immediate help.

thanks
  • Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Rhenae said:

Xeloda
    Hi Rhenae,
    I am a caregiver for my dad. He was dx with ec 11/08. The tumor was down at the junction to his stomach. He had 6 wks of radiation and xeloda chemo. Did very well. Tumor shrunk. Now fast forward to December 09. Severe pain in right side, jaundice, had ultrasound, found he had a blocked bile duct in his liver, as well as lesions on his liver. Had a stent put in blocked duct as well as his esophagus. The esophagus was about to close due to scar tissue.
    He recently started the xeloda chemo again for the liver cancer. He is having alot more side effects from it this time. Very weak, tired, swollen ankles, dizzy, and some anger outbursts.
    Some days he is mad, grouchey, mean and nasty. Yelling at my mom and me. I was just wondering if you had any of these side effects while you were on xeloda. And about the protein, will this help for liver cancer as well? Thanks for listening.
    Tina
  • Rhenae

Xeloda
    Hi Rhenae,
    I am a caregiver for my dad. He was dx with ec 11/08. The tumor was down at the junction to his stomach. He had 6 wks of radiation and xeloda chemo. Did very well. Tumor shrunk. Now fast forward to December 09. Severe pain in right side, jaundice, had ultrasound, found he had a blocked bile duct in his liver, as well as lesions on his liver. Had a stent put in blocked duct as well as his esophagus. The esophagus was about to close due to scar tissue.
    He recently started the xeloda chemo again for the liver cancer. He is having alot more side effects from it this time. Very weak, tired, swollen ankles, dizzy, and some anger outbursts.
    Some days he is mad, grouchey, mean and nasty. Yelling at my mom and me. I was just wondering if you had any of these side effects while you were on xeloda. And about the protein, will this help for liver cancer as well? Thanks for listening.
    Tina

Well so far i am the lucky
    Well so far i am the lucky one i am tired very tired so i know this makes bne not as nice as normal but my side evects so far have been very mild mouth is sore and hands and feet hurt alot and are very dry, as far as the portien all i know is my doctor says i need it to build white blood cells and to be able to heal and stay at a good weight, so that we don't have to decrcse the mg;s of xeloda now at 1800 x 2 a day but that is basted on hight and weight.
    wish i could be of more help, but try to be patient, i have had to get a lot of help from my family and i am not good at it i have always been the fixer the one who was pretty much in charge and it is hard to realise i am not in control of anything not even my own body it is hard for him too i am sure.
    will be praying for your family along with my prayers for me and mine
  • toffeeclub
    toffeeclub Member Posts: 3
    OCTOMAN said:

stomach cancer

alternative therapies
    HI
    my dad has stage 4 stomach cancer mets liver. Not operable.
    did u go through a strict diet? organic food, loads of vegs? my dad has no history of cancer and his bilirubin level was at 200 when first dx in feb2010. he went through 2 cycles of oxalipatin and xelida without rest.
    i am also giving B17 apricot kernels.
    recent studies also claims that papaya leaves can help shrink n prevent growth of tumor without harming good cells.
    i read that in the very early stages of stomach cancer, there is a 96% chance of survivor, if last stages, there is only 5% of survivor. as the cancer often mets to other organs.
    my dad's weight has maintained at 74kg. did u use a specific diet plan? juicing etc? silymarin?
    am all ears for any alternatives therapies to support the usual chemo.
  • Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Rhenae said:

Well so far i am the lucky
    Well so far i am the lucky one i am tired very tired so i know this makes bne not as nice as normal but my side evects so far have been very mild mouth is sore and hands and feet hurt alot and are very dry, as far as the portien all i know is my doctor says i need it to build white blood cells and to be able to heal and stay at a good weight, so that we don't have to decrcse the mg;s of xeloda now at 1800 x 2 a day but that is basted on hight and weight.
    wish i could be of more help, but try to be patient, i have had to get a lot of help from my family and i am not good at it i have always been the fixer the one who was pretty much in charge and it is hard to realise i am not in control of anything not even my own body it is hard for him too i am sure.
    will be praying for your family along with my prayers for me and mine

Hi Rheane,
    Hope this finds

Hi Rheane,
    Hope this finds you as well as you can be. Hoping the xeloda is working for you, and you are not suffering with any of the side effects. I was writing to tell you that my dad lost his battle with cancer on 3/9/10. This time the xeloda did not do him well. It worked great on the esophageal cancer, but not when it went to his liver. He went down hill from December to March. We respected his wishes, and gave him our blessing. Thanks for being there. Keep in touch.
    Tina
  • Jesdream
    Jesdream Member Posts: 2
    THIS MIGHT HELP......
    My mother has stage 4 stomach cancer. I had just found out about two months ago and now she is in a special facility where they make you feel comfortable. The doctor says she does not have long to live. I know the pain you are going through with your brother. My mother suffers pain everyday and is fearful about death. A friend of mine that I met a month ago named Anetta told me how she beat stage 3 cancer which was in her arms and breast. She had a lump the size of a golf ball in her breast and the doctor said eventually they would have to operate. The advice another doctor gave her, was to get a juicer and juice 9 glasses of vegetable juice, berries, tomatos, greens and eat healthy. Well Anetta did that and by the time she had to get checked again the cancer in her arms was gone and the lump sized down to a peanut. So the doctor took the lump out and it has been 10 years now and the Cancer has not come back. Also, alot of people all over the world was praying for her. Anetta's father is a preacher. I hope this helps you. Read Psalm 118 and 91 over your brother everyday. I pray that God would heal your brother and stop the pain. See what happens!! God Bless
  • Jesdream
    Jesdream Member Posts: 2
    SunnyD961 said:

Stomach cancer survivor again...
    Hello. I am a 25-year-old Black female. I didn't know why I was sick at the time, but I was 23 years old, and I wasn't actually diagnosed with Stage IV stomach cancer until after my 24th birthday, mental and emotional toll, and a partial-gastrectomy in Feb. 2008. I started chemotherapy soon after surgery for 6 months finishing in Aug. 2008. Not even a month after my last cycle I was having symptoms again, and by Sept. I couldn't take it anymore. I knew why I was in pain, not having an appetite, getting bloated, and wanting to vomit. My heart told me my cancer was coming back. As of Sept. 2008, I am currently battling stomach cancer again. I will continue to go through every drug there is until there is no more, as long as I have more time with my family. My 3 year old son needs his mother around as long as I can be. As long as my Lord allows me to be here. I am going to fight until the end for my son, and my husband. Yes, there will be pain along the way. I am willing to bear it. Whoever said life's experiences would be easy and painless?

I have been through too much death in my short life to allow an invasion of my body to take me to my deathbed lying down. Never. My father died when I was 3 months old, my brother at 14 yrs., my step-father at 16 yrs., my mother at 21 yrs. and my grandmother (her mother) at 22 yrs. old. Not to mention, other uncles and aunts, cousins and friends along the way. I shouldn't be afraid of death by now, but I am scared shitless. lol I should hate the world and everyone in it, but I don't. I should have given up long before I was stricken with cancer, but I haven't. I'm not going to.

You tell your brother to fight for all he is worth. It will never be easy or painless all the time, but to have another moment with his children, nieces and nephews, parents, siblings, and friends. Maybe one day they will find a cure for us, and maybe not. He shouldn't allow today's drug pharmaceuticals predict his outcome tomorrow. Medicine has made huge strides over the years, and I don't think it will ever stop. So why should he? There is always someone worse off than you. Keep living and keep fighting.

PSALM 118 AND 91
    Hello My Sister

My mother has stage 4 cancer and may not have that much longer to live only by the grace of God. See if this helps. Get a juicer and juice 9 glasses of carrot juice a day and juice some greens, berries, and tomatos. This should help you fight the Cancer better than the medicine. My friend had stage 3 cancer and it was gone by just eating healthy and juicing. Get alot of protein in your system. I pray God would heal you and use as a testimony to other people. By JESUS strips you are healed, we clain this in JESUS name AMEN!!! My prayer are with you.
  • sweetpea7
    sweetpea7 Member Posts: 1

Very similar type of stomach cancer
    Hi DJ,

I was diagnosed in Sep 08 with a carcinoma on my stomach, they also did a laparoscopy and found that the tumor had penetrated the wall of the stomach and was spread to the peritoneal cavity. I have been in chemo treatment for 7 months now and I still have hopefully another month or two of chemo. I have had 10 cycles of which 9 were with the same dose EOX (Epirubisin, Oxiplatinin and Xeloda) plus avastin. The 10th one was only the Avastin and continue with the Xeloda on a lower dose. I have been getting them every 3 weeks. I have another 2 to go with the reduced dose and then a CAT Scan. If the CAT Scan looks positive they will do another laparoscopy to see if the cells on the peritoneal are gone. After doing that, they will consider surgery or another alternative. Your story gives me a lot of hope since it appears we have the same diagnostic and now I know someone that was able to eliminate the cancer cells in the peritoneal cavity.
    I am originally from Mexico, just turned 40 and have a lovely wife and 3 beautifull children (8, 5 and 3). I am undergoing my treatment in Memorial Sloan in New York. Please keep in touch to see how are you doing. I wish you all the luck and remember that you will live for a very long period of time. If you have additional information that you would like to share with me please do so.
    Christian.

surgery
    My husband was diagnosed 1 yr ago with adnocarcinoma of the stomach he was told it was inoperable. 4 months after the chemo they did a lap and found it had spread. It has been a year a we are trying to find out if he could have the surgery. Were you able to have it and how did you do?
  • bflb54
    bflb54 Member Posts: 2
    Husband with stomach cancer
    How are things going now? My husband was diagnosed in February with stage 4 stomach cancer and I am looking for answers. Please let me know how things are going with you.

Thanks
  • jenene
    jenene Member Posts: 40
    Tonia11 said:

Wow

same story
    My husband is also 38 and just found out he has stage IV cancer which has spread to the liver. He is about to start his first round of chemo tomorrow. It doesn't look good. He is pretty much ready to die which is not good. I have a 3 and 1/2 year old dughter. If you want to ever talk let me know. I live in Washington state.
  • Sung78
    Sung78 Member Posts: 3
    LarryT said:

I am stage 4, stomach cancer, have survived for 2 years, 50 years old, and male.

To your question: I eat 5 to 10 servings of vegetables and fruits. A breast cancer study showed that having >5 servings of vegetables and fruits a day cut down cancer recurrence rate by 50%. I do not eat red meat. I do not eat salty, spicy, or oily foods. A rule of thumb is to eat fresh foods. Some traditional Chinese foods are bad in that regard due to special treatments for preservation. I exercise every day, starting from 10 min. a day last year to now 35 min a day. I sleep 8 hours a day. I appreciate life and am enjoying my life.

I went thru chemo and radiation therapies. The success rates of those treatments are low, about 30% per my oncology doctor, but unfortunately are the best one can find today. Never give up those conventional treatments. In fact the best defense against cancer is our body's immunity system. And the best way to build up one's immunity system is to do what I said above. Unconventional approaches can be supplemental. Miracles do happen. I have seen at least one success case. Just do not bet on it.

My life was not always like what I said above. I used to smoke, slept 4 to 5 hours a day, never ate breakfast, skipped lunch more often than not, had high pressure from work, and thus ill tempered. Looking back, I admit I deserved the cancer.

Encourage your brother. Never give up. Never!

My dad has stage 4 also, 53
    I teared reading your post, u r so close in age and diagnosis as my daddy. We found out a few weeks ago and worse, it's spread to mod of his liver - mo chance of surgery. I'm in a state of depression, my dad has always been my best friend. We've been given a maximum time line around 2 years and reading ur post makes me feel better that we really might get that much more time. Best of luck to you ... My dads diet was just like yours previously w tobacco, liquor etc, but neither of you deserved this. ;)