Taste Buds

Options
WJGardner_Dec2009
WJGardner_Dec2009 Member Posts: 50
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am new to chemo as of last week and to this Discussion Board. Okay, I was warned that my taste buds would change and they have, especially after having the Neulasta shot. I hate the way my mouth taste inside. Any suggestions on how to help with the nasty taste or is it something I will just need to get use to. I drink a lot of water and now that doesn't tast so hot anymore. Actually most foods don't taste good, mostly bland. Didn't know if someone might have remedy out there.

Wanda

Comments

• RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    Taste
    For me the taste in mouth was a metal taste, I learned to use heavy duty plastic utensils to eat with which did help me to taste more of the food and less of the metal taste chemo was creating for me. Hope this helps a bit.

RE
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    Options
    Salt water & baking soda
    I always gargled with salt water & baking soda every night and started doing it the night before my first chemo and I never lost my taste buds. I got a little lazy with it because I got so tired during the end, but I stopped and after my last chemo, I got sores in my mouth and lost my taste buds, so there must be some truth to it working. It definitely can't hurt anything! I hope it works for you!
  • DESTINY27
    DESTINY27 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Marlene_K said:

Salt water & baking soda
    I always gargled with salt water & baking soda every night and started doing it the night before my first chemo and I never lost my taste buds. I got a little lazy with it because I got so tired during the end, but I stopped and after my last chemo, I got sores in my mouth and lost my taste buds, so there must be some truth to it working. It definitely can't hurt anything! I hope it works for you!

Salt, Water and Baking soda
    Thanks for the info. I will gargle tonight before going to bed since I will be taking my second round of chemo tomorrow morning. I didn't lost my taste buds the first time, but as they said "an ounce of preventions is the pound of cure." Thanks again.

Nina
  • WJGardner_Dec2009
    Options
    Marlene_K said:

Salt water & baking soda

Thank you, i will give it a
    Thank you, i will give it a try. As you say it can't hurt.
  • WJGardner_Dec2009
    Options
    RE said:

Taste
    For me the taste in mouth was a metal taste, I learned to use heavy duty plastic utensils to eat with which did help me to taste more of the food and less of the metal taste chemo was creating for me. Hope this helps a bit.

RE

Ya, maybe the metal utensils
    Ya, maybe the metal utensils could be effecting my tast of the food. I give plastic a try.
    Thank you
  • WJGardner_Dec2009
    Options
    DESTINY27 said:

Salt, Water and Baking soda
    Thanks for the info. I will gargle tonight before going to bed since I will be taking my second round of chemo tomorrow morning. I didn't lost my taste buds the first time, but as they said "an ounce of preventions is the pound of cure." Thanks again.

Nina

I think it started when i
    I think it started when i got my first neulasta shot last week. It helps increase the white blood count.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Hi, Wanda
    My oncologist recommended Biotene mouthwash, which you can get from the drugstore -- it's not expensive, has a very pleasant, mild mint taste, and I used it religiously during chemo -- didn't get any mouth sores at all.

Plain water also started tasting nasty to me, to the point that I stopped drinking much water -- BAD, BAD idea during chemo, you need LOTS of hydration. Crystal Light was my lifesaver -- I've never liked the taste of it full strength, but I bought some and just sprinkled a little in my glass of water -- voila, bad taste gone! The fruit punch flavor worked best for me, but they have so many flavors, it was kind of fun to experiment with buying a different one each time I went to the grocery store. Other women here have highly recommended lemon slices, orange slices, or cucumber in your water.

Hope that helps,

Traci