non small cell lung cancer

onray
onray Member Posts: 13
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
I am wondering if anyone else has had a problem with Liquid build up around the Heart and the Lungs. A window was put in the Heart sack to help drain it, and was done again 6 months later, which was last Oct. The Left lung was also drained in Oct., then again in Jan. and then again a week ago. It has become a faster fillling situation as now it is needing drained about every 3 weeks. Does anyone else have this problem, and has anyone heard of the Denver Cathiter? Thanks Ron

Comments

• stayingcalm
    stayingcalm Member Posts: 650 Member
    Denver Catheter
    Looking on the web, it seems a Denver Catheter is very similar to a chest tube, though maybe somewhat smaller, and it's primary point is to allow patients to drain the thoracic area themselves, after instruction. Apparently, the Denver Catheter can lead to a natural pleurodesis. Here's the website for the company that makes them : http://www.denverbio.com/physician_pleurx_catheter.html

Hope this helps a little - I have no first-hand experience to give aside from having had chest tubes ( with a Heimlich Valve the second time) a couple of times. The second chest tube was removed Feb. 9th right in the Thoracic doc's office because my lung had finally healed, and I had no more drainage or air leak. I hope for the same for you!

Deb
  • onray
    onray Member Posts: 13

Denver Catheter
    Looking on the web, it seems a Denver Catheter is very similar to a chest tube, though maybe somewhat smaller, and it's primary point is to allow patients to drain the thoracic area themselves, after instruction. Apparently, the Denver Catheter can lead to a natural pleurodesis. Here's the website for the company that makes them : http://www.denverbio.com/physician_pleurx_catheter.html

Hope this helps a little - I have no first-hand experience to give aside from having had chest tubes ( with a Heimlich Valve the second time) a couple of times. The second chest tube was removed Feb. 9th right in the Thoracic doc's office because my lung had finally healed, and I had no more drainage or air leak. I hope for the same for you!

Deb

Denver Catheter
    Thanks Deb for the info. You are fortunite, as my Liquid build up is a steady thing. I had my heart and Left Lung drined in Oct. and the Heart was drained 6 months earlier too. Now the Left Lung has to be drained every 3 weeks, with a Qt. drainage each time, that is why I am checking on the Catheter. They Doc's and Hospitals can't seem to find the source of the Liquid, so I would like to save the Hospital visits that often. Thanks again. Ron