New here.....50 y.o. man with incidentally-discovered 4.9cm solid mass

RalphB
RalphB Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Kidney Cancer #1
Hi all --

I had an ultrasound a week ago for my liver....and like many people I guess, my liver was fine, but a 4.9cm solid mass was discovered rising from the lower pole of the left kidney. I guess it's normal to be very frightened. I'm glad I found this site, and would love any stories/advice from folks with a similar experience. I'm going in for a CT scan tomorrow morning. Thanks very much --

Ralph

Comments

• corey50
    corey50 Member Posts: 111
    4.9cm solid mass
    hi ralph,
    basically the same thing happened to me last nov. i had an ultrasound to check ovaries, they were fine but saw a mass on left kidney. after 2 more ct scans it was confirmed i probably had cancer. they don't do biopsys with kidney cancer so can't know for sure till surgery. had my left kidney removed last dec. about the same size as yours. it was stage 1.
    i am now coming up on my 6 mos. scans. i know how scared and confused you are right now. thats normal. take it one day at a time. make sure you have a ct scan with contrast. and then wait for the results. you'll probably see an urologist and be scheduled for surgery.
    find out what you can so you can ask plenty of questions.
    good luck to you.
  • frank kirkey
    frank kirkey Member Posts: 8
    50 yr.old
    Hi, Ralph I had sugery 3-13 of this year at Cleaveland Clinic.Had a mass little bigger then yours lower right kidney.Lost a quarter of my kidney then afterwards I found out had stage 2.I was having test done in they did do a biopsy this has been done twice on me.They use various size needles in your back to kidney.Trouble is mass being so large in there going in with needle test came back inconclusive.Was not until removed they done biopsy in found out it was stage 2.I have spots on my liver in liasions.They said its ok.Hope this helps you out.Iwill keep you in my prayers good luck in Happy Thanksgiving.
  • Bob O
    Bob O Member Posts: 6

50 yr.old
    Hi, Ralph I had sugery 3-13 of this year at Cleaveland Clinic.Had a mass little bigger then yours lower right kidney.Lost a quarter of my kidney then afterwards I found out had stage 2.I was having test done in they did do a biopsy this has been done twice on me.They use various size needles in your back to kidney.Trouble is mass being so large in there going in with needle test came back inconclusive.Was not until removed they done biopsy in found out it was stage 2.I have spots on my liver in liasions.They said its ok.Hope this helps you out.Iwill keep you in my prayers good luck in Happy Thanksgiving.

To Ralph
    Last April 2nd while doing an ultrasound to look for gall stones , they found 2-3 cm mass in rt kidney, had a CT scan (its the "gold standard", biopsies can give to many false negatives)and was told (90% the dark sphere in rt kidney was cancer. It looked pretty contained to them. On May 9th they removed my right kidney. About a week later, biopsy report said it was Type 1a (all contained in the removed kidney) I just passed a chest xray to rule out spread (so far) even though my odds are very good that I've seem the last of it I still take it "one day at a time" and am grateful they caught early as they seem to have with you. I pray for patience, strength and comfort for you and your family.

They took out my gall bladder at the same time (it was a mess) so my recovery was was somewhat more painful than most (or so Im told) Take care we have all been through what you are feeling . We are here for you. Best Wishes Bob O
  • frank kirkey
    frank kirkey Member Posts: 8
    Bob O said:

To Ralph
    Last April 2nd while doing an ultrasound to look for gall stones , they found 2-3 cm mass in rt kidney, had a CT scan (its the "gold standard", biopsies can give to many false negatives)and was told (90% the dark sphere in rt kidney was cancer. It looked pretty contained to them. On May 9th they removed my right kidney. About a week later, biopsy report said it was Type 1a (all contained in the removed kidney) I just passed a chest xray to rule out spread (so far) even though my odds are very good that I've seem the last of it I still take it "one day at a time" and am grateful they caught early as they seem to have with you. I pray for patience, strength and comfort for you and your family.

They took out my gall bladder at the same time (it was a mess) so my recovery was was somewhat more painful than most (or so Im told) Take care we have all been through what you are feeling . We are here for you. Best Wishes Bob O

Bob O
    Pretty much same thing they told me on biopsy.I live State of Mich.Up here they yank hole kidney.Thats why I was sent to Cleaveland by my Doc..My doc. down there had over 3,000 repairs,I felt very safe with him he even called me at home before in after to see how I was doing.Was not in my blood stream or rest of kidney thats why they only took a Quarter of kidney.I have had 2 cats 1 lung xray.Mon.the 30th go for anoter cat.So far so good.Bob I will pray for you in your family.The more we have praying all over the better we are.Good luck all.
  • RalphB
    RalphB Member Posts: 2

Bob O
    Pretty much same thing they told me on biopsy.I live State of Mich.Up here they yank hole kidney.Thats why I was sent to Cleaveland by my Doc..My doc. down there had over 3,000 repairs,I felt very safe with him he even called me at home before in after to see how I was doing.Was not in my blood stream or rest of kidney thats why they only took a Quarter of kidney.I have had 2 cats 1 lung xray.Mon.the 30th go for anoter cat.So far so good.Bob I will pray for you in your family.The more we have praying all over the better we are.Good luck all.

News from the CT scan
    Thanks to all of you for your responses; it really helps to know other people have been through similar things. I had my CT scan on Tuesday, and it confirmed what the ultrasound indicated (solid mass, but not mestasized). My urologist, who seemed great, said the best course of action was to do a radical nephrectomy. Some tears, but I'm the kind of person that once I know what's going on, I can focus on a plan of action. The surgery is either going to be this coming Wed., or 2 Wed.'s later.

I'm headed back to Tenn., where I grew up, later this morning for Thanksgiving. My 18-month old twins are about to wake up, and it'll be a long day of airports and traveling. But it makes me think of how much I have to be thankful for. Thanks for all your prayers!

Ralph
  • smurfin57
    smurfin57 Member Posts: 29
    RalphB said:

News from the CT scan
    Thanks to all of you for your responses; it really helps to know other people have been through similar things. I had my CT scan on Tuesday, and it confirmed what the ultrasound indicated (solid mass, but not mestasized). My urologist, who seemed great, said the best course of action was to do a radical nephrectomy. Some tears, but I'm the kind of person that once I know what's going on, I can focus on a plan of action. The surgery is either going to be this coming Wed., or 2 Wed.'s later.

I'm headed back to Tenn., where I grew up, later this morning for Thanksgiving. My 18-month old twins are about to wake up, and it'll be a long day of airports and traveling. But it makes me think of how much I have to be thankful for. Thanks for all your prayers!

Ralph

your surgery
    Ralph, your surgery was about a month later than mine. Did you have a partial or a full. My surgery was partial with open insicion. Hurt like hell. I am still having some back pains and stomach muscle pain. How is your recovery going. What is your prognosis? My docs seem hopefull but they don't have cancer. Mine was stage two grade three. Tumor was 4cm on top of right kidney. Did they take out your adrenal gland or any lymph nodes? They didn't on me. Please tell us how you are doing. Steve
  • lbinmsp
    lbinmsp Member Posts: 266
    Kidney cancer is generally
    Kidney cancer is generally diagnosed when they're looking for something else. It's a sneaky disease without any 'real defined' symptoms. I had a backache for two years before an MRI was ordered and then they didn't care that my back hurt! It is a shock and scary. I had a radical nephrectomy but was still in denial right through it all until the final pathology report came back. The surgery is tough and recovery tougher but it does get better! Unfortunately we don't have any choice but to ride it out. I'll pray that your surgery goes well and that they've found it early.
  • stormy_08
    stormy_08 Member Posts: 2
    just found out scary news!!

my 56 yr old mom just had a cat scan of her BACK that she's had many surgeries on over the last 15 years, and they found a solid mass on her right kidney 10 cm. we were able to get the scan reports asap, scan was yesterday got reports today and they said things like "Likely Malignant" and Solid mass almost covering the entire right Kidney. We also saw that they saw a much smaller "cyst like" on the same kidney in 2010 and NEVER told her!!! How dare them! I am so mad right now, Im scared too. She has an appointment Tuesday with a Urologist to see what our options are, today is Friday , I feel like thats a lifetime away....I was hoping u guys could help me with some success stories and or anything thing u know about my mothers situation. Thank u all in advance......

God Bless <3

• stormy_08
    stormy_08 Member Posts: 2

my 56 yr old mom just had a cat scan of her BACK that she's had many surgeries on over the last 15 years, and they found a solid mass on her right kidney 10 cm. we were able to get the scan reports asap, scan was yesterday got reports today and they said things like "Likely Malignant" and Solid mass almost covering the entire right Kidney. We also saw that they saw a much smaller "cyst like" on the same kidney in 2010 and NEVER told her!!! How dare them! I am so mad right now, Im scared too. She has an appointment Tuesday with a Urologist to see what our options are, today is Friday , I feel like thats a lifetime away....I was hoping u guys could help me with some success stories and or anything thing u know about my mothers situation. Thank u all in advance......

God Bless <3

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    stormy_08 said:

God Bless <3

Mom

Stormy,

Sorry to hear about Mom's CT scan. When I started my journey 11 years ago my  tumor measured 4.2 cm when they took it out. Over that 11 years the prognosis for larger tumors such as 10 cm has gone from poor to very good as a result of all the new drug treatments over the last 5 years.  Definately start a new post so you can ge the attenton of our new heros who are going thru similar challanges like your mom. In some cases with larger tumors they try to shrink them with drugs before taking out the Kidney which always used to be first. Definately seek a surgeon or medical center as far up the food chain as you are able.

Icemantoo

• skip123
    skip123 Member Posts: 1
    Solid Mass

I had an ultra-sound last Friday, 6/9 which found a solid mass of 6.7cm on my left kidney. Waiting to hear when I can get the ct scan. The hardest part is waiting for results so I can get on with fixing this. My daughter died 4 1/2 years ago from kidney cancer. Only time in our family that I know of. I definitely need some encouragement.

Thanks,

Skip

• Steve.Adam
    Steve.Adam Member Posts: 463 Member
    Hi Skip

I think this post is being overlooked. You should start a new forum topic and tell us your story.

Anyway, welcome to the group. You'll get lots of encouragement here.

Steve.