I was wondering if anyone has felt like this..........

Angel_4_James
Angel_4_James Member Posts: 73
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was wondering if anyone has felt like this..........

I have a port in my upper left shoulder area and today I am feeling my heart beat,,,well maybe pumping is a better discription and my right upper arm feels real tight. Like the day after you have worked out really hard. Is this something I should be concerned about???

Thanks my friends in pink for your wisdom.
Angel

Comments

• TrSquirt
    TrSquirt Member Posts: 6
    Hi,
    I'm not sure on the port

Hi,
    I'm not sure on the port and your heart beat but if you have had a mastectomy with lymph removal on your right side it could be lymphademia. That is one of the signs. You might measure your right compared to your left and see if there is a significant difference.

I hope someone has ideas on the port though,

Take Care and Good Luck, Trudy
  • Angel_4_James
    TrSquirt said:

Hi,
    I'm not sure on the port

Hi,
    I'm not sure on the port and your heart beat but if you have had a mastectomy with lymph removal on your right side it could be lymphademia. That is one of the signs. You might measure your right compared to your left and see if there is a significant difference.

I hope someone has ideas on the port though,

Take Care and Good Luck, Trudy

Thanks
    I had a lumpectomy on my right side and 1 lymph removed........

Thanks for that info though. : )
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991

Thanks
    I had a lumpectomy on my right side and 1 lymph removed........

Thanks for that info though. : )

I really don't know. Have
    I really don't know. Have you called your surgeon and oncologist and told them about this? You probably should. Let us know what you find out. Good luck

Angie
  • jennN
    jennN Member Posts: 40
    odd sensations
    Hi,

I have felt some odd sensations in my port area a number of times. I am at a higher risk for blood clots and am now taking Coumadin. Now, I do not have the sensations.....since my blood is thinner. You might check with your doctor to see what he/she thinks. Some women do have an uncomfortable feeling for the duration though.

Jen
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Hmmmm
    Angel I never had a port in all the 28 chemos I received, I did however have heart palpatations so I suggestion to you is that you tell you onco asap as they need to know of any and all changes you notice while in their care. Hope this helps.

RE
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    Call your doc
    I get heart palpitations; I have all my life so I feel that pumping sensation you are talking about quite often. I haven't ever gotten the tightness in my upper arm though. If this is something new for you, I would most definitely suggest you call your doctor. Chemo can affect our hearts and it's not something you want to be passive about. I hope it's not anything to be concerned about but would rather you hear that from the doctor. Please let us know we he/she says.

Hugs, Mar
  • Angel_4_James
    Thank you all
    Thank you all for sharing. I am guessing it was as some of you said just heart palpatations. It went away last night some time during my sleep. I will talk to
    my oncal. I have been fine all day today. It was just a bit weird. I do flags
    at church and I am thinking I might have just irritated the port area. :/

I will post what the oncal says.

Blessings and HUGS
    Angel
  • bananabread
    bananabread Member Posts: 2
    your right upper arm feels tight
    Could be lymphedema starting. Best to get a referral from your surgeon or onc to a physical therapist who specializes in lymphedema to get evaluated. Better yet get several and call each to get a feel for how experienced they are. I got a referral from my surgeon for a lymphadema pre-evaluation before surgery(from the surgeon who did nerve damage during surgery) to a lymphadema PT but that PT knew nothing about how to treat the nerve damage, so I found a lymph clinic myself with a wonderful PT who was familiar and she has helped a great deal. Doing some light cardio and strengthening arm excercises we think gives the nerves something to do instead of scream and cause awful pain every second. Hope this helps. Anyone else out there had nerve damage from lymph surgery ? Would love to talk.
  • kiki14738
    kiki14738 Member Posts: 14

Could be lymphedema starting. Best to get a referral from your surgeon or onc to a physical therapist who specializes in lymphedema to get evaluated. Better yet get several and call each to get a feel for how experienced they are. I got a referral from my surgeon for a lymphadema pre-evaluation before surgery(from the surgeon who did nerve damage during surgery) to a lymphadema PT but that PT knew nothing about how to treat the nerve damage, so I found a lymph clinic myself with a wonderful PT who was familiar and she has helped a great deal. Doing some light cardio and strengthening arm excercises we think gives the nerves something to do instead of scream and cause awful pain every second. Hope this helps. Anyone else out there had nerve damage from lymph surgery ? Would love to talk.

blood count
    I'm not sure if it is low platelets or low red blood count but one of them can also cause heart palpitations. might be another thing to check with your doc and maybe do a MUGA scan for heart function? please let us know.

Kim
  • kiki14738
    kiki14738 Member Posts: 14

Nerve damage
    I had my lumpectomy on Nov 17, 2009. Sentinal node biopsy with 12 Auxillary nodes removed. I am still numb under my arm and where the incision is. Once in awhile I do get shooting pains through my arm but they are not very painful, just annoying. The worst thing is trying to scratch the numb spot because for some odd reason it ITCHES! Sounds weird I know, but it drives me crazy! lol My doc said that the feeling may never come back.

Kim
  • Angel_4_James
    kiki14738 said:

Nerve damage
    I had my lumpectomy on Nov 17, 2009. Sentinal node biopsy with 12 Auxillary nodes removed. I am still numb under my arm and where the incision is. Once in awhile I do get shooting pains through my arm but they are not very painful, just annoying. The worst thing is trying to scratch the numb spot because for some odd reason it ITCHES! Sounds weird I know, but it drives me crazy! lol My doc said that the feeling may never come back.

Kim

Left not right arm....
    It was my left arm, the right arm is where they removed the lymphnode. I understand about the numbness, but it is not as bad as it was. It is still kinda weird when I shave it though. LOL

Thanks again for all the imput. I have not had any more issues with it since that night, but I will definitely tell the onco about it Tuesday. Will let you all know what he says.

Hugs you to all.
    Angel
  • pampered
    pampered Member Posts: 1
    kiki14738 said:

Nerve damage

Kim

nerve damage
    Hi, I had a lumpectomy and auxillary lymph node surgery on Feb. 2nd. left breast. The drain was taken out Feb. 12th. Incisions have healed nicely and the surgeon put an ace wrap on arm to help with any swelling. I still have discomfort, which feels more like an irritation in upper left arm also I still feel like I have a bulky dressing under arm even though I do not. Could this be swelling that I should be concerned about or is this just because of the surgery? I was told to just do range of motion and not exercise this arm yet. Any comments would be helpful. How long does this discomfort last? I will be seeing my surgeon next week.
  • Angel_4_James
    Update............
    Had my 3rd treatment today and I talked to my onco dr about the weiredness going on. He said that since it was 2 weeks out from my last treatment he was not concerned about it. Most likely I was having some heart palpitations. It I start feeling it again I need to let him know and we will get it check out.

Thank you all for you input on this and I hope it may help someone else on here.

BIG HUGS TO ALL
    Angel
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member

Update............
    Had my 3rd treatment today and I talked to my onco dr about the weiredness going on. He said that since it was 2 weeks out from my last treatment he was not concerned about it. Most likely I was having some heart palpitations. It I start feeling it again I need to let him know and we will get it check out.

Thank you all for you input on this and I hope it may help someone else on here.

BIG HUGS TO ALL
    Angel

Hopefully it will go away
    Hopefully it will go away soon and you won't feel funny. Glad that you told your oncologist about it. Be sure and let him know if you are still feeling it or if it gets worse. Good luck!

KYLEZ ♥