Another for Lisa42

dianetavegia
dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
This was just posted elsewhere:

This just came through the C3 news feed, another update on the promising report from a study first reported in 2009 from Dr. Heinz-Lenz's blog:
Inhibitor of AKT shows promising activity in colon cancer

READ MORE HERE

Briefly:
At ASCO in June 2009 a study was presented showing potential benefit of a novel inhibitor of AKT and MAPK in patients with metastatic colon cancer in second and third line chemotherapy. An update at the 2010 ASCO GI meeting in January further confirmed these promising results.

This was a randomized phase II study comparing Xeloda alone versus a combination of Perifosine and Xeloda.

The target of this novel inhibitor are AKT and MAPK and JNK pathways, which are frequently altered in patients with metastatic colon cancer. When AKT is mutated or highly active, colon cancer cells grow and spread more aggressively and are more resistant to chemotherapy.

Perifosine is the first inhibitor of AKT which shows very promising clinical benefit. The time to tumor progression doubled for patients who received perifosine and Xeloda compared to patients who received only Xeloda.

The Keryx Biopharmaceuticals, the company manufacturing Perifosine, is planning a registration phase III trial to get this drug approved for the market.

In the future we hope to have more drugs like this which target colon cancer’s specific genetic make up. What we need to do in the future is select patients who benefit the most from these specific targeted agents. We need to find out what tumors have activated these pathways.

Comments

• lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Hi Diane,
    Thanks again for the info! I get this C-3 e-newsletter in my inbox too. I'm actually seeing Dr. Lenz (who wrote the article) this Thursday. I am looking forward to hearing what his thoughts and ideas are. I'll let you know!

Lisa
  • jscho
    jscho Member Posts: 62
    lisa42 said:

Hi Diane,
    Thanks again for the info! I get this C-3 e-newsletter in my inbox too. I'm actually seeing Dr. Lenz (who wrote the article) this Thursday. I am looking forward to hearing what his thoughts and ideas are. I'll let you know!

Lisa

question for Dr Lenz
    Hi Lisa, another thing you may want to ask Dr. Lenz about is the status of trials of a drug ICG-001 that he has been working on with a collaborator at USC. This drug targets cancer stem cells via the pathway (WNT) that they frequently use to promote growth. This drug will hopefully make them differentiate and not self-renew.

Perhaps the study was not approved?

I really hope Dr Lenz can direct you to some good trials. There is so much going on scientifically and clincally. Keep up your positive spirit and hopes.
    Jeremy
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    jscho said:

question for Dr Lenz
    Hi Lisa, another thing you may want to ask Dr. Lenz about is the status of trials of a drug ICG-001 that he has been working on with a collaborator at USC. This drug targets cancer stem cells via the pathway (WNT) that they frequently use to promote growth. This drug will hopefully make them differentiate and not self-renew.

Perhaps the study was not approved?

I really hope Dr Lenz can direct you to some good trials. There is so much going on scientifically and clincally. Keep up your positive spirit and hopes.
    Jeremy

thanks Jeremy
    Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for the tip. I wrote the info on the study you mentioned down and will mention it when I see Dr. Lenz tomorrow. It's so nice to be able to find out other possibilities from other people!