a little nervous, because of test results

Tinabug
Tinabug Member Posts: 158
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Before I started chemo, I had a bone scan, chest x-ray, & CT scan. Quite frankly, I thought it was just par for course before chemo & wasn't nervous. If anything, I was concerned about the chest x-ray since I had smoked most of my life...it is fine. I was diagnosed with Stage 1 no lymph node involvement so I haven't been concerned about mets. However, my onoco said there is a very small spot on my liver...too small for a biopsy. Also, my spine has spots which she thinks are degenerative(sp.) Yesterday, she said there is a spot on my right foot...I have had a cyst there for over ten years so I'm assuming that's what it is. I've been told these tests sometimes show up things that are absolutely nothing. However, I can't seem to stop thinking about the one on my liver. My chemo will be over at the end of March & she said four months after my last treatment she will do another bone scan to see if there have been any changes.
Have any of you ladies experienced spots on scans that are nothing? Am I over-reacting? It's frustrating, because I knew my life had changed forever because of my diagnosis, but I'm realizing it's always going to be tests for the rest of my life. I'm not complaining, because I will do anyting to stay on top of the situation, it's just a new way of life I'm having to adjust to.

As always, thank you for your imput.

Huge Hugs,
Tina

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Tina, I haven't had the same
    Tina, I haven't had the same situation as you but can understand your concern. Unfortunately, I think we will have some degree of concern in anticipation of any tests that we have done as we go forward. I would say don't worry but that would be silly, so just focus on finishing your chemo and keep a positive outlook. There are many stories on these boards of individuals with "spots" on various parts of their bodies that are gone once their treatment is complete. I'm wishing for the same for you. Be strong!!
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Tina
    This is my second attempt to post-lost the first one! Hope this one goes through!
    I certainly know how you feel! As if it wasn't bad enough to hear we have BC, these tests show all the other flaws in our bodies as well! It took me almost 6 months to finally confirm that the 4cm mass on my liver was NOT cancerous. The docs seemed to be more focused on the BC. I also found out that I have arthritis in my big toes(lol)had no clue, cysts on my kidneys, a 50% block in one of my veins, 5 cysts in my right breast, and now stomach issues. I almost don't even want to have anymore tests done for the fear of what they may find next!
    As for my liver though, I tried not to worry too much because I figured it if was cancer, the Chemo would take care of it. Yes, of course you still worry & wonder, but like they said, after Chemo they will do further testing to see where it's at. In the meantime, TRY not to worry too much, keep hydrated, and keep focused on taking one day/one thing at a time!
    This is most certainly a new way of life to say the least!
    ♥ Cathy
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Tina
    I haven't had any scans, and when I asked my onco about what tests she would be doing to monitor me after my treatments, she said that she would recommend doing mammos and MRIs of the breasts only. Her feeling was that scans often showed things that were nothing to worry about and caused unnecessary concern more often than not.

I'm hoping that this is the case with whatever they're seeing on your liver, and that you will be dancing with NED very soon!

Take care,
    Cindy
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Yes...
    The more detailed the imaging equipment, the more is seen. And often, little "spots" turn out to be nothing.

However, for us - of course there's an extra bit of concern and worry. A "little nervous" is totally understandable. You're undergoing chemo, for gosh sakes. Cancer treatment is front and center in your life at the moment.

My own team of onc doctors gave me this very wise advice upfront, right away after diagnosis: focus on one thing at a time. This was an excellent recommendation, which I followed, and - at times - kept me from losing my mind! I practice this strategy, concerning all health issues (and even "life in general" sometimes) to this day. Which is why I often reference here on the board: the journey can only be travelled one step at a time. Otherwise, it can be just too darned overwhelming.

Remember that chemo is systemic - goes everywhere within the body, meant to "get" everything. You've had a tough time with it - now you're at the halfway point. I'd say - focus on getting yourself through the second half. Try to take it one step at a time. That second scan is months away - and there's nothing you can do about it 'til then, anyway.

With heartfelt hopes your way, and always with...

Kind regards, Susan