Finishing Rads today!!!

pitt
pitt Member Posts: 387
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Yes, it's true. After 7 1/2 LONG weeks, today is my last radiation appointment. The fatigue is...exhausting! I got dressed this morning, hugged my hubby and cried that I'm too tired to move. But I know from my sisters before me that the fatigue is temporary and I am nearing the line. I just can't wait to get my day and my body back. So, I will do my last treatment today, heal for two weeks, have my hysterectomy, and pop a pill for a few years, all in an effort to tame the beast. Thank you all for helping me navigate my way through this incredibly stressful journey. I know it's not over, but at least I can slow down the pace a little. Thanks girls! Pitt

Comments

• Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    YEAHHHHHHH
    So glad for you

YEAHHHHHHH

So glad for you to be done with this part. One more step closer to the end of this journey.
    Best of luck with the surgery.
    Sher
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    Congrats on finishing rads!
    I would hope that just being 'done' with all the treatments would have to give you some of your energy back! I will be starting rads soon and can't wait to post this myself! Congratulations, Pitt! May your journey from here forth be nothing but uphill!

Best wishes for good health & happiness always, Mar
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Sher43009 said:

YEAHHHHHHH
    So glad for you

YEAHHHHHHH

So glad for you to be done with this part. One more step closer to the end of this journey.
    Sher

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
    I will START my rads next week, so it will be a while before I post that. BUT knowing the end is in sight and reading how happy you are when you're done makes it doable. Did you have much problem with your skin? Any advice for a beginner?
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    So happy for you!
    It feels great, doesn't it? I was so emotional on my last day of rads. I laid there and cried!

I wish you well!

Patti
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Pitt, I remember the first
    Pitt, I remember the first day you posted. I'm so happy to read that you are finishing rads. That's quite an accomplishment and one of the wonderful milestones we achieve in this process. You WILL get your strength back, just give it time and baby yourself for a little while longer. Congratulations!!! Job well done!!
  • pmartens
    pmartens Member Posts: 6
    Finishing Rads
    Hi
    Congradulations, I am in the middle and your end will help me get though. Today will only be my 14th visit of 35, but the end is near, can you tell me what side effects you had and when?
    i am just starting to get some redness and burning on my left breast and some fatigue in the evening.
    I guess I am waiting for the "bomb" to drop, I should be done on or before 3/16/2010(my son's 27th birthday)and going to Florida on 4/8
    Any advice to get through??
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    pmartens said:

Finishing Rads
    Hi
    Congradulations, I am in the middle and your end will help me get though. Today will only be my 14th visit of 35, but the end is near, can you tell me what side effects you had and when?
    i am just starting to get some redness and burning on my left breast and some fatigue in the evening.
    I guess I am waiting for the "bomb" to drop, I should be done on or before 3/16/2010(my son's 27th birthday)and going to Florida on 4/8
    Any advice to get through??

Congrats Pitt! Another
    Congrats Pitt! Another milestone passed!
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Congratulations!
    Completion of rads = huge accomplishment!

Rads induced fatigue is truly unique, like nothing else. Now - take good care, take it easy during these next two weeks before your surgery. Rest, nap, sleep - because the body heals most efficiently during rest periods.

Kind regards, Susan
  • pitt
    Words of advice for the rads girls...
    Thank you all and yes I do have some advice. Use your creams everyday right from the beginning, even before you think you need them. My only side effects were redness (like a sunburn) and fatigue. I've submitted other posts about the fatigue and how I've learned to listen to my body and to be forgiving of myself when I just can't go anymore. I've gone to bed as early as 6:45 but make it usually until 7:45pm. Listen to your body and be good to it. Drink water and then use even more lotion. Good luck to you. You will get through it and then move forward to the next event...

All the best, Pitt
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Congratulations!
    Dear Pitt,

You've been through so much and now this leg of your journey is coming to an end! Congratulations!

Much Love,
    dh
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    pitt said:

Words of advice for the rads girls...
    Thank you all and yes I do have some advice. Use your creams everyday right from the beginning, even before you think you need them. My only side effects were redness (like a sunburn) and fatigue. I've submitted other posts about the fatigue and how I've learned to listen to my body and to be forgiving of myself when I just can't go anymore. I've gone to bed as early as 6:45 but make it usually until 7:45pm. Listen to your body and be good to it. Drink water and then use even more lotion. Good luck to you. You will get through it and then move forward to the next event...

All the best, Pitt

Bravo--another milestone.
    Bravo--another milestone. Pitt I believe you started chemo a few weeks before me. I have 2 more infusions to go and then on to radiation. You cant know how much your post means to me. It encourages me to hang in there despite all the bumps and different side effects. My energy levels are so low. After each infusion I find that I'm spending one additional day in bed recuperating as my body just doesnt rebound as it did in the beginning, but I feel motivated that I will too post soon enough that my treatment is completed. I so look forward to my day of celebration as you are celebrating today. I'm so happy for you.

Please keep us posted on your surgery and progress. I always enjoy your positive feedback. Hugs
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Congratulations!!!
    Your post about starting chemo was the first one I read when I came to these boards, and I have followed your progress through your journey, cheering you on and praying for you during your difficult times.

I'm so glad you've finished this important step, and are on the home stretch to having the worst of this battle behind you.

I hope that your strength will start to return soon and you will be dancing with NED before you know it.

Thank you for lighting the way to me and others that are following you.

Take care,
    Cindy
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Sher43009 said:

YEAHHHHHHH
    So glad for you

YEAHHHHHHH

Sher

Congrats on finishing!
    Megan

Congrats on finishing!

Megan
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Pitt,
    Hooray for the last

Pitt,
    Hooray for the last radiation treatment. And the fatigue will pass but it won't be fast enough for you (never is). Rest, heal and regain that strength. I will keep you in my prayers for the hysterectomy. Are they doing it laproscopically? Just rest up after you come home and don't overdo. It is so important to good healing. And as for the pills, I am guessing arimidex. I have been on it for almost a year and no side effects. So praying that will also be the case with you.
    Stef
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member

Congratulations!!!
    Your post about starting chemo was the first one I read when I came to these boards, and I have followed your progress through your journey, cheering you on and praying for you during your difficult times.

I'm so glad you've finished this important step, and are on the home stretch to having the worst of this battle behind you.

I hope that your strength will start to return soon and you will be dancing with NED before you know it.

Thank you for lighting the way to me and others that are following you.

Take care,
    Cindy

Congratulations
    Glad it's over for you. I am coming up in the rears here.
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    fauxma said:

Pitt,
    Hooray for the last

Pitt,
    Hooray for the last radiation treatment. And the fatigue will pass but it won't be fast enough for you (never is). Rest, heal and regain that strength. I will keep you in my prayers for the hysterectomy. Are they doing it laproscopically? Just rest up after you come home and don't overdo. It is so important to good healing. And as for the pills, I am guessing arimidex. I have been on it for almost a year and no side effects. So praying that will also be the case with you.
    Stef

Dear Pitt, I've watched your
    Dear Pitt, I've watched your progress too and glad to hear rads is over for you. Mine hasn't started yet but I've read all the posts regarding rads and it doesn't sound like its a picnic either. Seems like nothing is when it comes to destroying this beast. Posts like yours brings joy to those of us still waiting. Take a rest, you deserve it. I had a hysterectomy years ago and you'll feel fine afterwards. Take care and look forward to hearing from you again. Celebrate all these accomplishments, even in a small way.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Sunrae said:

Dear Pitt, I've watched your
    Dear Pitt, I've watched your progress too and glad to hear rads is over for you. Mine hasn't started yet but I've read all the posts regarding rads and it doesn't sound like its a picnic either. Seems like nothing is when it comes to destroying this beast. Posts like yours brings joy to those of us still waiting. Take a rest, you deserve it. I had a hysterectomy years ago and you'll feel fine afterwards. Take care and look forward to hearing from you again. Celebrate all these accomplishments, even in a small way.

Congratulations! Now go
    Congratulations! Now go party!
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Pitt, I remember the first
    Pitt, I remember the first day you posted. I'm so happy to read that you are finishing rads. That's quite an accomplishment and one of the wonderful milestones we achieve in this process. You WILL get your strength back, just give it time and baby yourself for a little while longer. Congratulations!!! Job well done!!

Big congrats on finishing
    Big congrats on finishing radiation!

HUGS
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Kat11 said:

Congratulations
    Glad it's over for you. I am coming up in the rears here.

Let us know when you finish
    Let us know when you finish Kat and we will throw another party!
  • pitt
    Thanks everyone! I really
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your notes. I'm hanging out today with the kids and will meet with my oncologist tomorrow to figure out the rest of the long-term solution...I will probably go straight to aromasin and not do the tamoxifen at all. I'll let you know when I find out tomorrow. The hysterectomy is in two weeks and will be done laprascopically, which I've heard is a much easier recovery time.

To all of you still dealing with chemo and/or rads, hang in there. You'll get through it and we will all rejoice when we read your posts about graduating!!!

Thanks again!
    Pitt