Tamoxifen and hair loss

sparky72156
sparky72156 Member Posts: 61
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Have any of you experienced hair loss or hair thinning with Tamoxifen?

Comments

• teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    i havent
    i havent noticed it but i dont have much hair just finished chemo september and started tamoxifen december.

teresa
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    teresa41 said:

i havent
    i havent noticed it but i dont have much hair just finished chemo september and started tamoxifen december.

teresa

Gosh, My hair is just
    Gosh, My hair is just starting to come in. I hope Tamoxifen has nothing to do with hair loss.
  • crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
    no hair change
    Hey Sparky, I have been on Tamoxifen since Nov. 7th, Let's see, that's 3+ months. I have had no change in my hair. Since I did not have chemo, I have all my hair, and it hasn't changed at all. Tamoxifen does not lower the amount of estrogen flowing in your bloodstream, so I don't think it would be associated with hair loss. Now, throid changes could cause that! Good luck figuring it out.
    ~~Connie~~
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    crselby said:

no hair change
    Hey Sparky, I have been on Tamoxifen since Nov. 7th, Let's see, that's 3+ months. I have had no change in my hair. Since I did not have chemo, I have all my hair, and it hasn't changed at all. Tamoxifen does not lower the amount of estrogen flowing in your bloodstream, so I don't think it would be associated with hair loss. Now, throid changes could cause that! Good luck figuring it out.
    ~~Connie~~

Menopause...
    Can also cause hair to thin.
  • kimber10
    kimber10 Member Posts: 47

Menopause...

none here
    My onc said thinning hair was a side affect I have been on tamoxifen since august and I haven't noticed any thinning.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member

Menopause...

I don't know that I have
    I don't know that I have heard that as a side effect of tamox. Christmas Girl is right, it could be menopause. Have you talked to your gyno about this too?
  • Sam7
    Sam7 Member Posts: 2
    Tamoxifen and hair loss
    Yes. I went on tamoxifen after chemo and therefore you do not notice thinning since anything is an improvement on bald. But I came off tamoxifen after two years because I just felt so bad on it. I felt tired, numb and 'emotionless'. Anyway, I then found out I had Vit D and iron deficiency and went on supplements. I feel much better and therefore decided to try the tamoxifen again hoping that the other side effects do not come back. I have only been on it again for a few weeks and I am noticing that my hair is falling out again.
  • Dot53
    Dot53 Member Posts: 239 Member
    Yes, I have.. it has been
    Yes, I have.. it has been falling out like rain...

It's very depressing..

Dot
  • bjmom1
    bjmom1 Member Posts: 152
    hair thinning
    My hair is very thin on the sides. I just keep my hair cut short because the longer it get it seem it get thinner. Sorry I couldn't help u with the thinning of the hair problem.

Barb