Marijuana

scout5000
scout5000 Member Posts: 94 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I wanted to share my experience with nausea and marijuana. I had severe nausea with A/C and Taxol treatments. I took Emend, Zofran, and Ativan. Even with all of those meds I still had nausea for the first 10 days following each treatment. I live in California where under state law you can legally purchase medical marijuana. After suffering through two rounds of A/C I got a prescription. When I felt like I couldn't take it any more, I would take one little puff in a little pipe and the nausea was immediately gone for hours. Because I smoked so little I never had a feeling of being high. It is truly a miracle drug. I hope this information helps somebody get through treatment. My oncologist refused to discuss the possibility of my using it because she said it is still illegal under federal law. Something needs to change.

Comments

• chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    I live in California too,
    I live in California too, and am thankful that the chemo did not make me sick...as I am allergic to marijuana! I can't stand to be anywhere near it; even the smell makes me sick. Good thing I'm not a narc, I can smell that horrid ( to me!) tell-tale odor blocks away! LOL

That being said, I'm happy it worked for you...the medical marijuana clinics here get shut down as fast as they open up, and everyone I know who has the medical card seem to have it for some elusive back-pain or undiagnosed migraines! LOL

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • xskeetshooter
    xskeetshooter Member Posts: 169
    pot
    i am done now with chemo, but smoked pot all the way thru. it was the best for taking the sicky feeling away.plus i have glukoma in my eyes and the doc said if i didnt smoke pot i would have to take pills, so it is good for alot of things
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    I never really got into
    I never really got into smoking pot when I was a teenager as it always made me paranoid. I never really got sick from chemo but on occasion would get that 'nauseated' feeling from just the thought of chemo if that makes sense. One of the nurses at my center said that this is a very 'real' feeling. She told me a story... she once ran into a patient at the food store and went to say 'hi'. The lady ran away. When she came in for treatment the next time, she explained that the sight of her made her sick... what a nice thing to say, huh? The nurse said it's a very real feeling. Anyway, I was told and was convinced to try smoking to get rid of those 'ill' feelings so I did. I don't do it often, but it's a real nice relief from the nausea and a lot of other ailments. Heck, after all it IS an herb :) I don't know the truth to them, but I've also read things about marijuana preventing cancers... it's a nice thought anyway.
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    Marlene_K said:

I never really got into
    I never really got into smoking pot when I was a teenager as it always made me paranoid. I never really got sick from chemo but on occasion would get that 'nauseated' feeling from just the thought of chemo if that makes sense. One of the nurses at my center said that this is a very 'real' feeling. She told me a story... she once ran into a patient at the food store and went to say 'hi'. The lady ran away. When she came in for treatment the next time, she explained that the sight of her made her sick... what a nice thing to say, huh? The nurse said it's a very real feeling. Anyway, I was told and was convinced to try smoking to get rid of those 'ill' feelings so I did. I don't do it often, but it's a real nice relief from the nausea and a lot of other ailments. Heck, after all it IS an herb :) I don't know the truth to them, but I've also read things about marijuana preventing cancers... it's a nice thought anyway.

Have pot if I need it
    Luckily my niece lives in a small town and knew just who to go to for me. I start A/C next Wednesday and will use it if I need it. Oh and it is illegal in MO but I don't see the police throwing me in jail for having it.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159

Have pot if I need it
    Luckily my niece lives in a small town and knew just who to go to for me. I start A/C next Wednesday and will use it if I need it. Oh and it is illegal in MO but I don't see the police throwing me in jail for having it.

I live in a small town as
    I live in a small town as well, but thankfully I never needed it. I know my personality type anyway; even though I was a teenager in the 60's ( the generation which invented EVERYTHING!)LOL I just couldn't do illegal. Still can't! Didn't use it then, or any other mind-altering substances! The good new is, I remember my not so mis-spent youth!:-) I traveled across country with my fiance in the early 1970's and made him buy me a Woolworth's wedding band so that my conscience woudln't bother me as much when we had to check in to hotels on the way from NY to California! Sheeeesh...as if anyone cared!

And funny that it turns out I am allergic to pot...so all things considered, it's a good thing the only side effect I had from chemo was extreme exhaustion! I don't know what I would have otherwise done....

To those of you who use it and have gotten relief..Good On Ya! I'm happy that it exists and can be a blessing to our Warrior-Survivors.

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Bobbiek
    Bobbiek Member Posts: 5
    maijuana
    I am in last stage of liver cancer,I use pot for nausea,horrible itching, which I am told is the toxens in my body.I cannot afford to go to California. Marjuana is my savior. enjoy
  • Tinabug
    Tinabug Member Posts: 158
    Not legal in Alabama
    I didn't have nausea on my 1st round, but I had the big D so, so bad accompanied with major stomach pain. I can assure you if pot helped with the big D I would have a bong & be smoking the heck out of it, although it used to make me paranoid & it's illegal in AL. At this point, I'm all about relief of chemo se's. Happy some of you have found a way to find relief.

Hugs,
    Tina
  • kimber10
    kimber10 Member Posts: 47
    Tinabug said:

Not legal in Alabama
    I didn't have nausea on my 1st round, but I had the big D so, so bad accompanied with major stomach pain. I can assure you if pot helped with the big D I would have a bong & be smoking the heck out of it, although it used to make me paranoid & it's illegal in AL. At this point, I'm all about relief of chemo se's. Happy some of you have found a way to find relief.

Hugs,
    Tina

Legal in Colorado
    My surgeon wrote me a prescription after my second surgery he said what ever it takes to get you through chemo which I didn't end up having so never had to try it but was thankful that if need be it was an option.
    My father in law who passed away last week from lung cancer said it was the only thing that allowed him some relief from the pain and helped him keep food down. He used the edibles