really excited

snommintj
snommintj Member Posts: 601
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I've been up for a few hours now. I saw my oncologist today, he was completely oblivious to Novalis Tx and the fact that there was one 15 minutes down the road. Novalis Tx is covered by my insurance and I have an appointment next week. What I'm most excited about though is the prospect of having my thyroid cancer treated. I seriously don't know why but it has always concerned me more than anything. My oncologist had the Novalis guy on the phone during my appointment and he feels confident I could benefit from treatment.
I don't plan on counting my chickens just yet but at least I got some eggs. I truly don't care if the cancer comes back. I feel pretty confident I can live with a significant amount of cancer in my body. I would just like to get rid of as much as I can, to sort of reset the countdown.
The Dr did mention a lifetime dose maximun. I don't know how many times I could get treated but I'm probably good for at least two rounds. That's probably an additional 2 years of life expectancy. I'm also looking forward to life without chemo. I can get Novalis concurrent with chemo. If they can clean me up, I'll continue chemo for a few months but I'll quit for the summer. That would be terrific.

In other news. We finally got the blizzard. We've had four snowfalls this year. That's the most I've experienced in my 30 years in SC. This one was pretty good, we've got about a foot right now. I rode my atv in it last night for a few hours. Luckily, this was my last night before having to restart chemo so I was feeling pretty good.

I feel really positive and I hope everyone will get to experience a little bit of hope with their next Dr visit.

Comments

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Sounds Promising John
    This news sounds good overall. I know about the chickens and all but at least you have eggs as you said.

-p
  • lcarper2
    lcarper2 Member Posts: 635 Member
    PhillieG said:

Sounds Promising John
    This news sounds good overall. I know about the chickens and all but at least you have eggs as you said.

-p

john
    sounds like you may be getting a break and I am sending you some beacon to go with your eggs.

Louann
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    John
    So glad that you were on your toes about other options and that your onc was agreeable to contacting the other doc.

Keep up the good spirit, and let's hope those 'eggs' turn into full fledge chickens!

Marie
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member

John
    So glad that you were on your toes about other options and that your onc was agreeable to contacting the other doc.

Keep up the good spirit, and let's hope those 'eggs' turn into full fledge chickens!

Marie

Great News John....
    Coming from you I shouldn't have expected anything less...You are the true Warrior....Love and Hope to ya bud, Buzz
  • lizzydavis
    lizzydavis Member Posts: 893
    Buzzard said:

Great News John....
    Coming from you I shouldn't have expected anything less...You are the true Warrior....Love and Hope to ya bud, Buzz

Very happy for you!
    Hi John,

I am very happy for you!

Please keep us posted!

lizzy
  • Crow71
    Crow71 Member Posts: 679 Member
    Awesome John. Just one more
    Awesome John. Just one more example of how important it is for us to research tx info on our own (and here). Thanks for sharing. Glad you got to have some fun in the snow. We've had way more than usual up here in NC as well.
    Take Care.
    Roger
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Great news John!
    My oncologist friend from India said Novalis is an excellent treatment. So glad insurance will cover it! Sounds like you are a man with a plan! Go get 'em John!

We got four inches of snow here due west of Atlanta. It's so pretty. Still only 25° so we're home til the ice on the roads clears up.
  • sfmarie
    sfmarie Member Posts: 602
    Your outlook
    on life is inspiring to say the least. You certainly have come to terms with the cancer and are definitely in charge. I'm happy to hear you can get the Novalis treatment and I hope it gives you your summer break and far more than the two years you are giving yourself. You have so much to give! Stay warm.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I'm dancing for you!!!
    Sounds like fun....playing in the snow!!!!

And the news you have is GREAT! I LOVE your thought of 'having eggs'...lol!

Hugs, Kathi
  • lizzydavis
    lizzydavis Member Posts: 893
    KathiM said:

I'm dancing for you!!!
    Sounds like fun....playing in the snow!!!!

And the news you have is GREAT! I LOVE your thought of 'having eggs'...lol!

Hugs, Kathi

John, where exactly is it?
    John, where exactly is it?
    (Novalis Tx and the fact that there was one 15 minutes down the road.)
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Way to go John! You are
    Way to go John! You are truly inspiring in your approach to this disease + I wish you every success with this treatment.

Hardly any snow (just outside of Toronto, Canada).
  • just4Brooks
    just4Brooks Member Posts: 980 Member
    Sending some Toast too!!
    Sending some Toast to go with the eggs and bacon. Great news!! You inspire so many here. Hope you dont get too cold in that snow. They sey we could hit near 80 today in Murrieta California.

Brooks
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
    Great news John
    Great news John! Glad to hear that you will be able to have this treatment and have an action plan in place.

Funny story about chickens...

My parents had a farm and my dad bought some hens from a fellow down the road. The man that sold them to my dad knew these hens were done producing eggs but sold them to us anyway. We ended up using those chickens for stew. In any case, this man called my dad a few weeks after and asked, "how are those hens working out?" to which my dad responded, "Ken, those chickens are laying so many eggs I can't even keep up with them..."

John, I hope that you have so many eggs that you can't keep up with them....
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
    mom_2_3 said:

Great news John
    Great news John! Glad to hear that you will be able to have this treatment and have an action plan in place.

Funny story about chickens...

My parents had a farm and my dad bought some hens from a fellow down the road. The man that sold them to my dad knew these hens were done producing eggs but sold them to us anyway. We ended up using those chickens for stew. In any case, this man called my dad a few weeks after and asked, "how are those hens working out?" to which my dad responded, "Ken, those chickens are laying so many eggs I can't even keep up with them..."

John, I hope that you have so many eggs that you can't keep up with them....

YEAH JOHN!!!!!
    What terrific news John!!!! I can feel your excitement in your words. This is just fantastic.... I am so happy for you. Take care!

Jennie
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Hope
    Oh, John. That's great! Hope is always welcome here!

*hugs*
    Gail
  • crazylady
    crazylady Member Posts: 543 Member
    great news
    Hi John

That is great news. Please keep us informed about your appointments and how it works.

Take care,
    Jamie
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    Great!
    Fantastic news John! You are full of hope and you share your hope with us so well!

Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • JR
    JR Member Posts: 139 Member
    Great news
    Great news John. Way to do your homework. Let us know whats happening.

John
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    sounds great
    John,

This sounds like a really great prospect for you. It's somewhat amazing but maybe not that surprising that an oncologist wasn't aware of such a place down the street. Let us know how your appt. goes.

Lisa