Neuropathy

debtam
debtam Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a lumpectomy, followed by a lymph node disection in February 2009. I started 24 weeks of chemotheraphy in April, followed by 6 weeks of radiation, which ended in November 2009. I was given Taxol and experienced some inflamation in my nails during my treatments, but it wasn't until I was finished with chemo that I started experiencing horrible pain in my hands and feet. I would compare it to the feeling you get when you have been frost bitten and your hands start to warm up. It sometimes feels like electrical shock. I can't even hook my own bra in the morning. It has been 5 months now and my doctor says I should be at the peak of my pain, but it could take up to 2 years for it to clear and there is no way to know if it ever will. I am no baby, but I find myself in tears throughout the day from it. I am on so many drugs right now, so I don't want to add another one. My question is, has anyone found relief from anything else than drugs? I can't imagine another year of this! Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    I have the same problem
    I finished chemo in September and I have been dealing with Neuropathy, too. Heat helps. I notice that cold makes the pain worse. I use a heating pad. I wear gloves when its chilly and I put my hands and feet in hot water every day. Hot baths or showers are nice and hand washing the dishes helps, too. None of the drugs prescribed have worked for me. My Oncologist sent me to a Neurologist and I am seeing an Occupational Therapist now.
    Hope this helps.
  • mickeymom
    mickeymom Member Posts: 117
    Taxol can be a bear
    I'm sorry you are in so much pain. I had four dose dense treatments of Taxol and had pain in my fingers and feet too. It sounds like you have it worse that I did, but I can say that is is slowly starting to get better. I finished chemo in September. It is not nearly as intense now and is limited to my left hand and my right foot.

I did find that massage helped. I discovered it by accident when I went for a pedicure and the technician gave me a great foot massage. I didn't feel any tingling for a couple days. It worked on my fingers too. You might give it a try.

Also, I took Glutamine powder and Vitamin B6. My nutritionist suggested it. I don't really think the Glutamine helped, but I think the B6 did help. I started taking both during chemo and stopped a couple weeks after my last treatment. After I stopped, things got worse. I started back on both and everything seemed to settle down. I stopped taking the Glutamine a couple months ago but I'm still taking the B6 and things are definately improving.

You've been through a lot and finding life after all the treatment can be difficult. Hang in there!
  • elm3544 said:

I have the same problem
    I finished chemo in September and I have been dealing with Neuropathy, too. Heat helps. I notice that cold makes the pain worse. I use a heating pad. I wear gloves when its chilly and I put my hands and feet in hot water every day. Hot baths or showers are nice and hand washing the dishes helps, too. None of the drugs prescribed have worked for me. My Oncologist sent me to a Neurologist and I am seeing an Occupational Therapist now.
    Hope this helps.

I found and suggest to check
    I found and suggest to check with your Doctor try Vitamin B6 50mg once day has help mine immensely.