Hives!?!?!?!?

Zhentup
Zhentup Member Posts: 43
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had thought I was having a reaction to hand lotion-my skin is very fair ans sensitive. This happened on a Friday. Of course, it started to worsen and spread shortly after 5PM. That's usually when things get worse.

I ended up visiting the ER Saturday AM where they gave me Bennedryl via my port as well as the first dosage of Prednizone. After about 20 minutes they gave me Epinephran in my stomach. Since I had n3ver had Hives, but I had Steven's Johnson's 10+ years ago, I was pretty scared. Running the course of this miserable, excruciating problem has been awful. I just wondered if anyone has had this in conjunction with the chemo. I'm assuming not and it's just dumb luck!

Thanks,
Leanne

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Leanne, thank goodness you
    Leanne, thank goodness you got it under control. Was this a reaction to the chemo? I never had any problems with my chemo but I guess I, too, was just lucky. I do know there have been others that have had reactions to some of the chemo drugs. I'm sure they will be along shortly to share their experience. Glad you're better. Take care.
  • BethInAz
    BethInAz Member Posts: 203 Member
    Hives reaction
    Leanne, If this reaction came after chemo, I would definitely talk with your oncologist. I had a reaction while taking taxotere during infusion. Mine wasn't an allergic reaction like yours but they told me that if I was allergic to one of the cancer drugs, further infusions would only spur a more significant reaction. They talked about changing my drug cocktail but I was able to get through the original regimen with the help of extra steroids and benadryl. Definitely let your oncologist know what's going on and get his/her advice.
    Beth
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    Yes
    I had what I THOUGHT were hives. The itching about did me in! Both the chemo and radiation folks thought that I was just reacting to the stress my body was under and after awhile it would go away. Well, I'm finished with both chemo and radiation and I still have it. I finally went to the dermatologist and he diagnosed me with ezcema. He gave me a strong steroid spray, am taking Allegra in the a.m. and Zyrtec in the p.m. Also he recommended that I eat Activia.

Now here's the kicker....the first thing the dermatologist asked me was if I had severe diarrhea with my chemo....I did. It was horrible. He then told me I had what is called "leaky gut syndrome". Google it. Basically what happens if you have severe diarrhea your digestive tract can become permeable. Bacteria gets into your system and one reaction can be ezcema. Also, your immune system is compromised while on chemo and cannot fight the bacteria in your system like it normally would.

I'm getting better, but still itch alot. I hope you get relief. What type of chemo are you on and have you had trouble with diarrhea?

Sorry to be so long winded but it's worth looking into. My onco had never heard of it but thought it was very likely what I have once she researched it.

I wish you well.
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    pattimc said:

Yes
    I had what I THOUGHT were hives. The itching about did me in! Both the chemo and radiation folks thought that I was just reacting to the stress my body was under and after awhile it would go away. Well, I'm finished with both chemo and radiation and I still have it. I finally went to the dermatologist and he diagnosed me with ezcema. He gave me a strong steroid spray, am taking Allegra in the a.m. and Zyrtec in the p.m. Also he recommended that I eat Activia.

Now here's the kicker....the first thing the dermatologist asked me was if I had severe diarrhea with my chemo....I did. It was horrible. He then told me I had what is called "leaky gut syndrome". Google it. Basically what happens if you have severe diarrhea your digestive tract can become permeable. Bacteria gets into your system and one reaction can be ezcema. Also, your immune system is compromised while on chemo and cannot fight the bacteria in your system like it normally would.

I'm getting better, but still itch alot. I hope you get relief. What type of chemo are you on and have you had trouble with diarrhea?

Sorry to be so long winded but it's worth looking into. My onco had never heard of it but thought it was very likely what I have once she researched it.

I wish you well.

Hives
    I had a really bad reaction to taxotere chemo drug.It sounds just like Pattimc.And I did have diarhea for 4days before I had the hives.And I also still have the itching several months after stopping the chemo.I have to take Zyrtec every day.I ask my Cancer dr, if it would go away and she said she didn,t know.I keep trying to get off the Zyrtec and I will start itching without it.This is the first post that is exactly like what I had happen.Pattimc if you read this and find out anymore info please let me know. Pat.
  • ppurdin
    pattimc said:

Yes

I wish you well.

Hives
    I had a really bad reaction to taxotere chemo drug.It sounds just like Pattimc.And I did have diarhea for 4days before I had the hives.And I also still have the itching several months after stopping the chemo.I have to take Zyrtec every day.I ask my Cancer dr, if it would go away and she said she didn,t know.I keep trying to get off the Zyrtec and I will start itching without it.This is the first post that is exactly like what I had happen.Pattimc if you read this and find out anymore info please let me know. Pat. Thank you.
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    ppurdin said:

Hives
    I had a really bad reaction to taxotere chemo drug.It sounds just like Pattimc.And I did have diarhea for 4days before I had the hives.And I also still have the itching several months after stopping the chemo.I have to take Zyrtec every day.I ask my Cancer dr, if it would go away and she said she didn,t know.I keep trying to get off the Zyrtec and I will start itching without it.This is the first post that is exactly like what I had happen.Pattimc if you read this and find out anymore info please let me know. Pat.

Pat
    I don't know if there is a "cure" for this or not. If it is leaky gut syndrome then you have to build your intestinal wall back up. I've been eating Activia and that's supposed to get rid of the bad bacteria and add in good bacteria. You probably need to go to a dermatologist like I did to get this more powerful steroid spray. It's called Clobex. I had to use it tonight as my arms just got hot and red blotches everywhere. It took care of them right away. It's very potent though so I don't like to use it much.

He also switched me to Allegra during the day and Zytec at night. He thought the combo was better for me than just the Zyrtec.

I totally sympathize and get what you are saying. It's enough to drive a good woman nuts with the scratching!!

Good luck, Pat!
  • ppurdin
    pattimc said:

Pat
    I don't know if there is a "cure" for this or not. If it is leaky gut syndrome then you have to build your intestinal wall back up. I've been eating Activia and that's supposed to get rid of the bad bacteria and add in good bacteria. You probably need to go to a dermatologist like I did to get this more powerful steroid spray. It's called Clobex. I had to use it tonight as my arms just got hot and red blotches everywhere. It took care of them right away. It's very potent though so I don't like to use it much.

He also switched me to Allegra during the day and Zytec at night. He thought the combo was better for me than just the Zyrtec.

I totally sympathize and get what you are saying. It's enough to drive a good woman nuts with the scratching!!

Good luck, Pat!

pattimc
    Hi,i will try the activia.But it is exactly like you are describing.It feels real hot usually where it is itching.Like you it is allot better.But it is a pain to deal with every day.Thank you for your help. Pat.
  • mema1963
    mema1963 Member Posts: 18
    ppurdin said:

pattimc
    Hi,i will try the activia.But it is exactly like you are describing.It feels real hot usually where it is itching.Like you it is allot better.But it is a pain to deal with every day.Thank you for your help. Pat.

I too had a reaction to the
    I too had a reaction to the chemo and they gave me Benadryl thru my IV alos compazine for nausia this is done with each chemo tratment and I have not had anymore problems thank you Jesus! I'm glad you are doing better I will keep you in my prayers.
  • Zhentup
    Zhentup Member Posts: 43
    mema1963 said:

I too had a reaction to the
    I too had a reaction to the chemo and they gave me Benadryl thru my IV alos compazine for nausia this is done with each chemo tratment and I have not had anymore problems thank you Jesus! I'm glad you are doing better I will keep you in my prayers.

Thanks to all who commented!
    My Hives had pretty well run its course by the time I wrote here. The drugs they gave me to take were Prednizone, Prevacid and the Claritin (or Loridone). The docs all agree that my body has been made keenly sensitive to things and even though we don't know what caused it, things are calming down by themselves.

What I did find interesting was the prescription for the Claritin. I remember wondering why the Claritin helps with the Neulasta shot and this brought that all together for me. Of course Bennedryl takes care of a lot of allergy type things but, if I understand it correctly, there is an upper or lower tier of allergens that Claritin is more apt to take care of-hence the reason for the Claritin for the Neulasta reaction.

Amazing the things we learn!!!!!