Skin Cancer ?

Cat64
Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I feel like this is probably a dumb ?, but have to ask. I'm not real familiar with Tumor Markers just yet, but can skin cancer cause an elevation in levels?
Cathy

Comments

• Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    I'm curious too...
    I'll be watching for replies to this. Good question!
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    Here's another who wondered.
    Count me on wondering about Tumor Markers. I look forward to an explanation.

Plus, you are asking another question. Can skin cancer cause an elevation in levels? This is sometime I know nothing about.

Are you worried about skin cancer on the breast or skin cancer somewhere else on the body?

Janelle
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    Not a dumb question at all
    Nobody (and I mean nobody) has the answer about tumor markers. At best, tumor markers are just one weapon in an oncologist's arsenal. Some oncologists don't use them at all because they provoke more anxiety than they're worth. Moopy's oncologists use them to track "trends:" obviously, trending down is better than trending up. Some women report having had huge tumor markers for YEARS without any recurrence.

So, in sum, just another useful thing (not sure EXACTLY what it's useful for) to drive cancer survivors nutso. Moopy and I have been there, and we can say that out of all of the big deals there are (unfortunately) to worry about, tumor markers ain't one of them. Let your onc worry about them. If something needs to be done, he or she will certainly tell you.
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    Aortus said:

Nobody (and I mean nobody) has the answer about tumor markers. At best, tumor markers are just one weapon in an oncologist's arsenal. Some oncologists don't use them at all because they provoke more anxiety than they're worth. Moopy's oncologists use them to track "trends:" obviously, trending down is better than trending up. Some women report having had huge tumor markers for YEARS without any recurrence.

So, in sum, just another useful thing (not sure EXACTLY what it's useful for) to drive cancer survivors nutso. Moopy and I have been there, and we can say that out of all of the big deals there are (unfortunately) to worry about, tumor markers ain't one of them. Let your onc worry about them. If something needs to be done, he or she will certainly tell you.

You Are One Smart Man
    Thank you for the explanation. This is the second post that I have read where you responded. You are very enlightening and you write well.

May you and Moopy have a long, long, long life together.

Fondly,
    Janelle
  • Cat64
    Aortus said:

Thanks
    Marlene & Janelle for being curious with me! Joe-thank you for your insight and you are right on target, this definetely has made me suffer more anxiety & insanity!
    I asked because after 2 rounds of Chemo, surgery, & still no Herceptin, my markers are still up. I have a few more tests to complete to rule out any other Cancer, but I have a "suspicious" spot on one of my ears that I still need to have checked out & thought maybe it was because of that.
    However, I just had the chance to speak to my Onc. today & he told me it would not affect the levels so I did get the answer...somewhat anyway.
    Thank You!
    ♥ Cathy
  • Marlene_K
    Cat64 said:

Thanks
    Marlene & Janelle for being curious with me! Joe-thank you for your insight and you are right on target, this definetely has made me suffer more anxiety & insanity!
    I asked because after 2 rounds of Chemo, surgery, & still no Herceptin, my markers are still up. I have a few more tests to complete to rule out any other Cancer, but I have a "suspicious" spot on one of my ears that I still need to have checked out & thought maybe it was because of that.
    However, I just had the chance to speak to my Onc. today & he told me it would not affect the levels so I did get the answer...somewhat anyway.
    Thank You!
    ♥ Cathy

Hmmmm
    I did a 'hmmmm' on that. So if it wouldn't affect the levels than that means if we had skin cancer, it would not show up on markers?
  • Cat64
    Marlene_K said:

Hmmmm
    I did a 'hmmmm' on that. So if it wouldn't affect the levels than that means if we had skin cancer, it would not show up on markers?

Marlene
    I'm sorry, after reading my post I guess that does sound rather confusing.
    Unfortunately, I did not "absorb" his entire answer, he did say that skin cancer would NOT elevate the levels, but I didn't hear the reason why it wouldn't. On my bloodwork results there are two markers: CA 15-3 which he wrote is for the breast. Then there is CEA, but I can't understand what he wrote on there as to what this level represents. I just know they are both elevated, esp. the CEA & am trying to figure out why. I apologize if this confuses you more!
    Cathy
  • Marlene_K
    Cat64 said:

Marlene
    I'm sorry, after reading my post I guess that does sound rather confusing.
    Unfortunately, I did not "absorb" his entire answer, he did say that skin cancer would NOT elevate the levels, but I didn't hear the reason why it wouldn't. On my bloodwork results there are two markers: CA 15-3 which he wrote is for the breast. Then there is CEA, but I can't understand what he wrote on there as to what this level represents. I just know they are both elevated, esp. the CEA & am trying to figure out why. I apologize if this confuses you more!
    Cathy

Confused
    No reason to be sorry, Cat. When it comes to all these medical things, I don't think I'd ever feel unconfused, lol. But I sure hope they find out why your levels are raised. Please keep us posted! Mar