Will I ever feel normal again?

kimmy101
kimmy101 Member Posts: 12
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My annual routine appointments turned into my worst nightmare. My biopsy was on Dec. 3. My surgery Jan. 6. My breast and armpit are so numb. Now dealing with my next step the ovarian scare. ugh. that doc feels it might not be cancer, but will not confirm. will need chemo 6 months then 8 wks radiation. i feel so alone. I know my mom has bet this. but it is so much different when you have young kids. trying to stay hopeful and put together my daughter's 4th birthday party.

frustrated in jersey

Comments

• Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    You've come to the right place!
    Kimmy, everyone on this board has been where you are and has felt what you feel. You are not alone and will soon come to find that you have many friends on here that all understand what you are going through.

I am a single mom of 3 and to say I was scared doesn't nearly describe how I felt. We all associate cancer with death and I just couldn't die. I have way too much to live for and my children need me. They have come such a long way with treatment and being as your mom is a survivor, that should give you much needed inspiration. I had a mastectomy of my left breast and node removal ~ 4 out of 21 lympth nodes positive. I just finished chemo last week. I had TAC (taxotere, adriamycin & cytoxan) every 3 weeks for 6 sessions. I had little to no side effects except for lethargy since my 4th treatment and, of course, losing my hair which isn't a breeze, but it grows back and we will all help you through it. I'm onto radiation within the next few weeks. You'll be amazed at how fast it goes.

You will get lots of advice here so keep posting.

I'm in Jersey also. I live in Toms River.

Hugs ~ Mar
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Kimmy, welcome to the group.
    Kimmy, welcome to the group. It's not one you wanted to join but I promise it's one you'll be glad you did. We're a group of very kowledgeable individuals that help each other through the trials and tribulations of treatments. All of it is do-able and you can do it too, if for nothing else, that beautiful 4 year-old daughter. Continue to post and ask questions and we'll be along with our experience and encouragement. Take care.
  • canoegirl
    canoegirl Member Posts: 169
    Wondering the same thing
    Hi Kimmy,
    Sorry to hear about your diagnoisis. I was laying in bed last night wondering the same thing as you. I had a mastectomy and node removal on Jan 14th and my breast and arm are still uncomfortable at night. At least my youngest is a senior in HS this year so she can drive herself to activities, etc. Hoping for lots of help when it comes to planning her graduation/going away (she leaves for college on June 27th) party and hoping the chemo isn't TOO bad (they told me 4 months and I start in March).

Also in New Jersey,
    Hugs,
    Marcy
  • lisamnovak
    lisamnovak Member Posts: 27
    new
    Kimmy,
    Yes, you will feel "normal" again. But, really, what is normal anyway? I kind of think it is over rated! LOL! Just remember that this is not just for you, it is for your daughter, your family, your friends. That is what I keep telling myself. I hate it, but my boys need me (my husband included..lol!). My sister, my friends, my parents. You are stonger and braver than you think. Take it one day at a time. You will make it, and we will be here for you. HUGS!
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I am 4 years out....
    and, as tired as the saying is....it's a new normal.

It's not who I was, but then I'm not sure that person was my best....

I am now living life as large as I can, but being careful of my 'special' arm, and the things my other cancer (rectal, 9 months before my breast cancer) changed in my life. I have a new appreciation for the fact that life can change in an instant.

So, back to normal...well, I agree with others that 'forward to normal' is a much better way to look at it...

Hugs, Kathi
  • dbs1673
    dbs1673 Member Posts: 203
    KathiM said:

I am 4 years out....
    and, as tired as the saying is....it's a new normal.

It's not who I was, but then I'm not sure that person was my best....

I am now living life as large as I can, but being careful of my 'special' arm, and the things my other cancer (rectal, 9 months before my breast cancer) changed in my life. I have a new appreciation for the fact that life can change in an instant.

So, back to normal...well, I agree with others that 'forward to normal' is a much better way to look at it...

Hugs, Kathi

Daily Quote
    There is a quote that I say to myself daily...

We aren't what we ought to be
    We aren't what we're going to be
    We aren't what we want to be
    But thank God, we aren't what we were
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    dbs1673 said:

Daily Quote
    There is a quote that I say to myself daily...

We aren't what we ought to be
    We aren't what we're going to be
    We aren't what we want to be
    But thank God, we aren't what we were

I love your quote dbs!
    I love your quote dbs! Thanks for posting that!

We won't be what we used to be, but, the new "normal" can be just as good if not better!
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Welcome to the site
    Sorry for your medical conditions. Yes, you will be normal again. It is a tough road but you are a very strong and brave. You have a beautiful daughter who needs her mom. She will be your inspiration helping you to go through all difficulties.
    Please come here to share your feeling.
    Good luck,
    New Flower
  • marilyndbk
    marilyndbk Member Posts: 238 Member
    Hang in there. Sometimes it
    Hang in there. Sometimes it is difficult to put on that happy face for family and friends. We are stronger than we think and can do whatever we have to do in our life to survive. Take good care of yourself. Marilyn
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member

Hang in there. Sometimes it
    Hang in there. Sometimes it is difficult to put on that happy face for family and friends. We are stronger than we think and can do whatever we have to do in our life to survive. Take good care of yourself. Marilyn

Welcome KIMMY
    I am sorry for the reason but so glad you found this board, it was my saving grace while i was going through treatments. You will get past this and things may never be quite the same but you can live life to the fullest and you will find peace with your new normal, although I have had many hardships I have hope and belief that things always get better. I have a new appeciation for life and loved ones and try not toever take things for granted anymore.

I am no as young as you and my children are grown, I know how hard this must be for you hun. You are in my prayers.
    hugs, jackie