Should I worry?--from dmc_emmy's daughter

dmc_emmy
dmc_emmy Member Posts: 549
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello friends from DMC's daughter. My mom was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma breast cancer stage 2b in 2005; I am now 22, and it was not until recently that I began to wonder about my personal risk for breast cancer, considering my mom's history. This concern has arisen due to my current involvement with a school internship class at an oncology center and it has alerted me to the lives of young women being diagnosed with breast cancer, even when they had no known family history of breast cancer.

My question for you, then, is should I be worried/concerned about my risk for breast cancer? What can I do now in terms of preventive health check-ups? I am now beginning to do self-exams and I have had a physical breast exam from a nurse practitioner; however, I am still technically too young to qualify for a mammogram--should I seek out a physician who will give me a referral?

Another topic of discussion I would like to pose is your thoughts about BRCA genetic testing. Should I have it done? What are the pros/cons of having vs. not having the test? Would knowing about my status of whether or not I have the BRCA gene be beneficial or emotionally hazardous?

Any information that you are willing to share with me on any of these issues would greatly help me. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post. Have a blessed day.

Jessica, DMC_emmy's daughter

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I'm sure that others will chime in....
    I am an old lady, so I don't know what to say. Except that my daughter, who is now 29, is very watchful, considering that her mom (me) and her grandmother (my mom) both have had breast cancer. She does, as you do, self exams, and has anything she finds checked out. Thankfully, so far there has been nothing...

Ask your doctor about the gene testing...I know that for me and my daughter, I would need to test first. Then, if I tested positive, the insurance would cover my daughter's test.

Mammograms are a great tool...but many, many breast cancers are found by self exam...and being vigilant.

Good luck to you, dearheart!

Hugs, Kathi
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Hello, Jessica
    At your age, breast cancer never - ever! - even crossed my mind. No family history - I am the first, on both sides... Therefore, I'm no expert on BRCA testing - no first-hand experience with it. Please know that less than 10% of all breast cancer cases are due to genetics. With all that being said...

Like Kathi - I'll agree that you're probably already doing what you can at the moment. I'll also back her up on the fact that far, far more BC tumors are originally detected by self-exam, vs. those found via mammograms and/or other electronic imaging methods. Knowledge, self awareness, and steadfast vigilance are probably your most powerful weapons at this time.

I have heard of other women your age and slightly older with even more extensive family BC history (i.e., several women/several generations). Even they did not begin annual mammograms until 30-35 years old - slightly younger than the standard recommended age of 40. And much depended on all the specifics.

Your question about the BRCA testing is a tough one, indeed. Even a positive result is not a "guarantee" that the patient will develop BC - it signals only a predisposition. If you truly desire to take things another step further, I suggest you seek the professional medical advice from a doctor. Maybe even your Mom's own doctor.

As is your Mom - you, as one of her caregivers, are always welcome here, Jessica.

Best wishes to you, dear.

Kind regards, Susan

P.S. to Kathi - You are NOT an "old lady"!!!
  • girls4444
    girls4444 Member Posts: 34
    braca testing
    Hi Jessica - I was diagnosed with breast cancer in Oct 2009 after discovering a 6cm tumor, there was no family history, I am 50 years old. In December 2009 my sister whom is two years younger than me went for her annual mammogram and they found she had early stage breast cancer. She went for the braca test and was tested positive, I had my hesitations about taking the test but I needed to make a decision before my 16 chemo treatments were over with which type of surgery I was looking at. I also tested positive. I have done alot of research on the test and spoke to my oncologist and my surgeon. I will have my children tested, the biggest reason is because if you have the gene and if you have already had children you can have your ovaries removed (prior to starting menopause) and this reduces your chance of getting breast cancer by 90%. All that said it's a huge emotional decision.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    girls4444 said:

braca testing
    Hi Jessica - I was diagnosed with breast cancer in Oct 2009 after discovering a 6cm tumor, there was no family history, I am 50 years old. In December 2009 my sister whom is two years younger than me went for her annual mammogram and they found she had early stage breast cancer. She went for the braca test and was tested positive, I had my hesitations about taking the test but I needed to make a decision before my 16 chemo treatments were over with which type of surgery I was looking at. I also tested positive. I have done alot of research on the test and spoke to my oncologist and my surgeon. I will have my children tested, the biggest reason is because if you have the gene and if you have already had children you can have your ovaries removed (prior to starting menopause) and this reduces your chance of getting breast cancer by 90%. All that said it's a huge emotional decision.

I have two teenage daughters
    I have two teenage daughters and i worry about this. I have had the gene testing and am negative. i am thinking the same thingd, I have already talked to them about SBE. They will need to have mammos starting at 24 . nutrition and esp exersize is key. I also think MRIs are going to be more important.
  • carkris
    girls4444 said:

braca testing

I have two teenage daughters and i worry about this. I have had the gene testing and am negative. i am thinking the same thingd, I have already talked to them about SBE. They will need to have mammos starting at 24 . nutrition and esp exersize is key. I also think MRIs are going to be more important.
  • carkris
    girls4444 said:

braca testing

I have two teenage daughters and i worry about this. I have had the gene testing and am negative. i am thinking the same things, I have already talked to them about SBE. They will need to have mammos starting at 24 . nutrition and esp exercise is key. I also think MRIs are going to be more important too.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    carkris said:

Here is what I was told by
    Here is what I was told by my Surgeon and Onc. My Mom got BC in her late 50"s. We know of No other family member with BC. Because this cancer was in her late 50's they do not believe I got it because of her. Risk is just the fact you are a women. Be careful with the brac testing at your young age because of insurance. If you do get tested, self pay for it.
  • girls4444
    girls4444 Member Posts: 34
    Braca gene test
    If you have a direct family member who has had breast cancer your insurance company will cover the cost.
  • Tinabug
    Tinabug Member Posts: 158
    I was concerned at your age
    Jessica,

I was 22 when my mom died of breast cancer at 43, so I have always been very concerned. I am now 43 & found my bc through a monthly self exam. I have always done monthly self exams...always. Between the age of 30-40, my insurance would only pay for 1 mammogram. Every year before my birthday, I paid for a mammogram...it was my gift to myself.

As far as the genetic testing that is tough. I have an older friend who is a 20 year survivor & she has (2) daugthers in their early 20's. Both of them were tested this year & they tested positive for the gene. However, now they have some very tough decisions to make. I think you should really discuss it with your doctor in detail.

I wish you all the luck in the world in making your decisions. I think you are already on the right track by being aware & taking positive steps such as self exams.

Hugs,
    Tina