I Found Out

pdv
pdv Member Posts: 56
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I got the news this morning with a phone call from the doctors office...infiltrating stage 2 breast cancer. I was a little overwhelmed that it was stage 2...can anyone tell me what infiltrating stage 2 means? For some reason it doesn't sound good.

Pat

Comments

• chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    This info is from the Mayo
    This info is from the Mayo Clinic BC site~ I too had invasive BC,staged at 2B with 3 of 15 lymphnodes positive. I had a lumpectomy, chemo and radiation therapy, and finished 5 years of Arimidex 11 months ago! So~ though the dx is indeed overwhelming, there is Life After Cancer!!! Many of us are living proof!

" Invasive (infiltrating) breast cancers spread outside the membrane that lines a duct or lobule, invading the surrounding tissues. The cancer cells can then travel to other parts of your body, such as the lymph nodes. If your breast cancer is stage I, II, III or IV, you have invasive breast cancer."

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Please...
    Try not to be frightened by the "stage"... I thought of mine as simply a "measurement" that would help to identify the best treatment possible.

Quite honestly, nothing about breast cancer is "good"... However, remind yourself that it IS highly survivable when caught and treated early.

Best wishes to you, Pat.

Kind regards, Susan
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    I'm sorry you are facing bc.
    Hi Pat,

Today is the anniversary of my suspicious mammo. I know how frightening the doctor's call is. At this point, the stage is based on the size of the tumor. 2cm or larger is stage 2 or if there is lymph node involvement that can also determine the stage. The usually don't decide if there is lymph node involvement until surgery. They remove a node to examine while you are under anesthesia and keep you under while they wait for the results. If it is positive, they may remove more nodes. Stage 1 and 2 are considered early stage breast cancer. Infiltrating means that it has spead to some surrounding breast tissue which will be removed with the tumor during surgery. Did the doctor say whether it is lobular or ductal? Are they ordering any other tests? If tests are ordered, don't panic. It has become normal procedure.

Please get the book, "Just Let Me Get Through This". It is for early stage breast cancer patients and is written by a survivor. It really helped me to know what to expect and what questions to ask.

Those of us who are diagnosed with early stage are very fortunate. Take a deep breath and try not to think the worst. We've been where you are and have lived through it. Hugs.

Roseann
  • BethInAz
    BethInAz Member Posts: 203 Member
    Scary news
    Pat,
    Don't worry. I've just finished my treatments for my stage 2 infiltrating ductal carcinoma. The initial diagnosis is very scary and it took me a few days to get past the shock of it all. Then I took control of my care. Get a notebook to put all of your test results in as well as your appointment information and other information you receive from your doctors. Stage 2 usually means that the tumor is a certain size and that lymph nodes aren't involved. As you have further testing, surgery, lymph node testing, you'll be able to understand better what your particular cancer looks like. I've learned that breast cancer can be so different for each individual case. You'll find out through testing what kind of treatments will be indicated for you specifically. I opted for bilateral mastectomy even though my tumor was in one breast. I'm happy I made that decision. With the mastectomy I will not have to endure radiation treatments. I did opt for 4 rounds of chemotherapy which I just finished yesterday. It wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. Each day of this process I've learned so much about this disease, my own strength, and my wonderful God who has upheld me throughout the process. Now I'm anticipating good results and long life. If I can be of any help, please feel free to email me directly. It's good to know that somebody else has been through what you're going to go through and has survived!
    Blessings, Pat.
    Beth
  • BethInAz
    BethInAz Member Posts: 203 Member
    Scary news
    Pat,
    Don't worry. I've just finished my treatments for my stage 2 infiltrating ductal carcinoma. The initial diagnosis is very scary and it took me a few days to get past the shock of it all. Then I took control of my care. Get a notebook to put all of your test results in as well as your appointment information and other information you receive from your doctors. Stage 2 usually means that the tumor is a certain size and that lymph nodes aren't involved. As you have further testing, surgery, lymph node testing, you'll be able to understand better what your particular cancer looks like. I've learned that breast cancer can be so different for each individual case. You'll find out through testing what kind of treatments will be indicated for you specifically. I opted for bilateral mastectomy even though my tumor was in one breast. I'm happy I made that decision. With the mastectomy I will not have to endure radiation treatments. I did opt for 4 rounds of chemotherapy which I just finished yesterday. It wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. Each day of this process I've learned so much about this disease, my own strength, and my wonderful God who has upheld me throughout the process. Now I'm anticipating good results and long life. If I can be of any help, please feel free to email me directly. It's good to know that somebody else has been through what you're going to go through and has survived!
    Blessings, Pat.
    Beth
  • pdv
    pdv Member Posts: 56
    BethInAz said:

Scary news
    Pat,
    Blessings, Pat.
    Beth

Thanks for the Info
    Thanks for the information you have given. And thank you BethinAz...even though I hate that you even have to be on this website and forum, I'm glad you have the info I need. How do I go about e-mailing you? I really would like some info before I go to the surgeons office tomorrow.

Pat
  • Harmonyaz
    Harmonyaz Member Posts: 4
    pdv said:

Thanks for the Info
    Thanks for the information you have given. And thank you BethinAz...even though I hate that you even have to be on this website and forum, I'm glad you have the info I need. How do I go about e-mailing you? I really would like some info before I go to the surgeons office tomorrow.

Pat

Where can I find that book?
    I was trying to find the book on amazon and didn't see it. Do you have an authors name?
  • CarrWilson
    CarrWilson Member Posts: 111
    Harmonyaz said:

Where can I find that book?
    I was trying to find the book on amazon and didn't see it. Do you have an authors name?

amazon
    This book has also helped me with stage 2 infiltrating ductal carcinoma. A lot of good advice.

Just Get me through this!:The Practical Guide to Breast Cancer By Deborah A. Cohen and Robert M. Gelfand
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    chenheart said:

This info is from the Mayo
    This info is from the Mayo Clinic BC site~ I too had invasive BC,staged at 2B with 3 of 15 lymphnodes positive. I had a lumpectomy, chemo and radiation therapy, and finished 5 years of Arimidex 11 months ago! So~ though the dx is indeed overwhelming, there is Life After Cancer!!! Many of us are living proof!

" Invasive (infiltrating) breast cancers spread outside the membrane that lines a duct or lobule, invading the surrounding tissues. The cancer cells can then travel to other parts of your body, such as the lymph nodes. If your breast cancer is stage I, II, III or IV, you have invasive breast cancer."

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Thank You
    Thank you for the post. It gives all of us hope. BTW...what side effects did you experience on the Arimidex? Were the muscle aches severe?

P
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    The Girls Are Right
    The girls are right. Try not to get hung up on the stage. Try to focus on your treatment and what it takes to get better. I know that is easier said than done but you can do it. We're here to help.

P
  • june4
    june4 Member Posts: 7
    Make a list of any questions
    Make a list of any questions you want to ask. When you meet with the surgeon, oncologist and plastic surgeon the time goes quickly. I was also recently diagnosed with IDC that the oncologist has at stage 2 right now just due to the size of the tumor. They will determine stage when the surgery is complete. My husband went with me to all of my appointments and took notes for me. I had friends that have volunteered to go along to take notes too. I'll be praying for you.