DCIS and herceptin

terri805
terri805 Member Posts: 122
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone on this site participated in the research study of dcis dx and taking herceptin? My dr asked me if I wanted to participate in the study and I don't know if I do or not since I won't know if I am given a placebo or herceptin until after the study is completed.It is a 50/50 chance of being chosen to take it and what about the side effects?

Comments

• tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Herceptin
    Herceptin targets the HER2 neu gene so if you are not HER2+ then I don't know why they would give you Herceptin.

Margo
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member

Herceptin
    Herceptin targets the HER2 neu gene so if you are not HER2+ then I don't know why they would give you Herceptin.

Margo

If you are HER2+ I would not
    If you are HER2+ I would not do the study. The herceptin blocks the HER2 receptors keeping the cancer from coming back. I am HER2+ and would not take the chance of not getting the Herceptin.
  • terri805
    terri805 Member Posts: 122
    Sher43009 said:

If you are HER2+ I would not do the study. The herceptin blocks the HER2 receptors keeping the cancer from coming back. I am HER2+ and would not take the chance of not getting the Herceptin.

HER2+
    They have not tested my tissue removed from the lumpectomy for HER yet and I guess they normally don't for DCIS. The dr said if I wanted to participate in the study they would send the tissue for testing to see if I would be a candidate for herceptin.I think I am leaning toward not participating in the study and just going with the radiaton and arimidex.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    terri805 said:

HER2+
    They have not tested my tissue removed from the lumpectomy for HER yet and I guess they normally don't for DCIS. The dr said if I wanted to participate in the study they would send the tissue for testing to see if I would be a candidate for herceptin.I think I am leaning toward not participating in the study and just going with the radiaton and arimidex.

Could there be a study to
    Could there be a study to see if herceptin might help other forms of breast cancer besides the her2 pos.
  • canoegirl
    canoegirl Member Posts: 169
    Sher43009 said:

Why not try it
    I read a report recently that stated that most DCIS is HER2 Pos. They didn't know why when it spreads to IDC that only 25-30% are postive. If Herceptin could cut down on the number of DCIS that spreads beyond the ducts it would be great. Of course I haven't started Herceptin yet, so I don't know how bad the side effects are. If it's miserable, you might not want to do it. Just food for thought. Good luck with whatever decision you make. Can you get the pros and cons from your doctor?