Breast Cancer and Diabetes

Freyou
Freyou Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was wondering if anyone has had to balance diabetes with their cancer. Mom is gearing up for chemo and takes a daily dose of Metformin to keep blood sugars in check. She has to eat regularly and has been keeping her numbers right where they need to be. But the effects of chemo, I've heard, include not being able to keep food down.

I also wondered if the healing from chemo and then surgery were longer.

I hope that someone can help out with advice and/or ideas from their experience.

Comments

• teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    im not diabetic
    im not diabetic but i had 4 rounds of chemo and i had no problems with vomiting or nausea. i was gave medicine in my I.V. before each treatment to prevent nausea and vomiting. my oncoligist also gave me compazine pills to take at home to prevent it as well.everyone is different she should talk to her oncoligist.wishing her the best of luck!

teresa
  • shortscake
    shortscake Member Posts: 228
    I have type 1 diabetes and bc
    I have type 1 diabetes and bc stage 3 and i am on my 2nd set of chemo i take insulin and have not had any problems with n/v they give me something in an iv when i am getting chemo every Monday, my numbers have stayed were i want them to be also my onc know that i have diabetes so they stay on top of my numbers also.girl power
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Type 2 Diabetes and Stage IIa bc
    I have Type 2 Diabetes and Stage IIa bc.

The only time I have had issues with my sugar is when I have had to take steriods or been under a lot of stress. My sugar is usually out of whack for about 3 days around chemo.

I have been through just about everything as far as side effects from chemo, including spending 2 days in the hospital because of Big "D" and vomitting. I have really only had spells of vomitting about 5 times and 2 of those were just dry heaves. Big "D" is my demon. I just finished my 5th chemo and have one more to go. My onc did tell me that diabetics are more sensitive to chemo.

Make sure your mom has lots of sugar free small snacks like jello and pudding. When I don't feel like eating much I have a cup of broth and some jello. Bananas are good but make sure they are small. Sugar free gum seems to help sometimes with nausea. Drink Gatorade G2 and water. I try Crystal Lite in the water sometimes, when my taster is working.

It usually takes me a little over a week to recouperate from each chemo. Because of the Big "D" and lack of appetite I get fluids after chemo to keep me from getting dehydrated. I did not have an issue mending from surgery. I had a lumpectomy in Sep 09. I did get an infection in my breast but it was cleared up with antibiotics.

Wishing your mom the best. Post again when you can.

Donna
  • sausageroll
    sausageroll Member Posts: 415

The only time I have had issues with my sugar is when I have had to take steriods or been under a lot of stress. My sugar is usually out of whack for about 3 days around chemo.

I have been through just about everything as far as side effects from chemo, including spending 2 days in the hospital because of Big "D" and vomitting. I have really only had spells of vomitting about 5 times and 2 of those were just dry heaves. Big "D" is my demon. I just finished my 5th chemo and have one more to go. My onc did tell me that diabetics are more sensitive to chemo.

Make sure your mom has lots of sugar free small snacks like jello and pudding. When I don't feel like eating much I have a cup of broth and some jello. Bananas are good but make sure they are small. Sugar free gum seems to help sometimes with nausea. Drink Gatorade G2 and water. I try Crystal Lite in the water sometimes, when my taster is working.

It usually takes me a little over a week to recouperate from each chemo. Because of the Big "D" and lack of appetite I get fluids after chemo to keep me from getting dehydrated. I did not have an issue mending from surgery. I had a lumpectomy in Sep 09. I did get an infection in my breast but it was cleared up with antibiotics.

Donna

I have type 2 diabetes and
    I have type 2 diabetes and had some troubles while on chemo. I think that the main problem for me was that both the breast cancer and diabetes were diagnosed at the same time...so I had not been able to get my numbers in shape. The steroids during chemo really sent my numbers up. At that time I was on Metformin. I added Glipizide and eventually both Lantus and Novolog. Finished chemo in the Spring and still have some problems. During chemo, I really fancied surgery snacks and sugar ree had a weird taste for me. I also had found that my body accepted Metformin well...until I started Chemo. I hope to go back on that soon, because some of the side effects are good! Healing went well after surgery.

All in all though I don't think your Mom will have meny more problems than someone wothout diabetes. Make sure she takes her testing kit into chemo sessions. Although she will have lab work done just beforehand, for some reason they had no way to test blood sugar in the infusion room.

Good luck!!
  • mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
    Type II
    Hi,

I'm type II and I didn't have any problems going through chemo. I actually lost weight due to surgery and stress so I ended up being able to go off the Metformin. I still take Glipizide and Januvia but that is it and my sugars have been good. I do have spikes if I take steroids for any reason but that is to be expected. I never had nausea with chemo and no one should there are plenty of drugs out there to keep it in check. If one doesn't work another one will. Good luck with your Mom. I hope she does well.
  • Ranee123
    Ranee123 Member Posts: 1

Donna

Hi Donna,
    I was just diagnosed with Grade I Stage II breast cancer and have been insulin dependent for about a year. I was diagnosed one month ago and am in the process of getting all my tests, referrals, clearances etc and am nervous!!! How do you keep sugar levels low when stress is high? I'm in the medical field and that makes it worse. I know enough to scare myself. Brother, how did you cope?
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Ranee123 said:

Hi Donna,
    I was just diagnosed with Grade I Stage II breast cancer and have been insulin dependent for about a year. I was diagnosed one month ago and am in the process of getting all my tests, referrals, clearances etc and am nervous!!! How do you keep sugar levels low when stress is high? I'm in the medical field and that makes it worse. I know enough to scare myself. Brother, how did you cope?

Ranee123
    Ranee123

I posted a reply to you on the boards.

Donna
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    mom62 said:

Type II
    Hi,

I'm type II and I didn't have any problems going through chemo. I actually lost weight due to surgery and stress so I ended up being able to go off the Metformin. I still take Glipizide and Januvia but that is it and my sugars have been good. I do have spikes if I take steroids for any reason but that is to be expected. I never had nausea with chemo and no one should there are plenty of drugs out there to keep it in check. If one doesn't work another one will. Good luck with your Mom. I hope she does well.

I have diabetes II for over
    I have diabetes II for over 15 years and did well until recently, now I'm on insulin and with all the stress I'm having a hard time keeping my sugar levels down. Anytime I have to take steroids it really goes high. So my battle with bc will be more complicated if I have to take chemo. Won't know till after my coming surgery. Thanks for bringing up this subject as it has been a concern for me.
  • sausageroll
    sausageroll Member Posts: 415
    Sunrae said:

I have diabetes II for over
    I have diabetes II for over 15 years and did well until recently, now I'm on insulin and with all the stress I'm having a hard time keeping my sugar levels down. Anytime I have to take steroids it really goes high. So my battle with bc will be more complicated if I have to take chemo. Won't know till after my coming surgery. Thanks for bringing up this subject as it has been a concern for me.

It will get better
    I can tell you Sunrae that you will begin to notice a difference pretty quickly once everything is over. I finished my last Avastin infusion about 4 weeks ago and already feel more in control.
  • arkansasgirl
    arkansasgirl Member Posts: 84
    BC & DIABETES TYPE 2
    Hi

I have type 2 diabetes and since 2002 and I got Breast Cancer in March 2009. My A1C has
    been up and down over the years. The type of BC I have is very rare and chemo & radiation
    has no effect even though I took six treatments of chemo. I had a lump that went from 2cm
    to 5cm in 4 weeks. I had both breasts removed in April 09. I take Actos 30mg and Januvia
    100 mg once a day. The chemo made me very sick. I took 6 treatments every 3 weeks. I lost
    weight during chemo. My taste buds went numb. After all that I went and had my A1C and
    it was 6.0. I was estatic. That's the lowest it has ever been. I healed up very quickly
    after my surgery. My surgeon, primary care doctor and onocologist was very surprised how
    well I healed up. My sugar in the mornings was staying around 90 to 115. There were some
    mornings I didnt take my Actos cause I didn't want my sugar to drop. I took Januvia at night. I hope this helps you a little.

Also I took a pet scan last week and I'M CANCER FREE.
    THE CANCER WON THE 1ST BATTLE AND I WON THE 2ND BUT THE WAR IS FAR FROM OVER YET FOR I WILL NOT GIVE UP!!!

GOD BLESS YOU.

ARKANSASGIRL
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808

BC & DIABETES TYPE 2
    Hi

I have type 2 diabetes and since 2002 and I got Breast Cancer in March 2009. My A1C has
    been up and down over the years. The type of BC I have is very rare and chemo & radiation
    has no effect even though I took six treatments of chemo. I had a lump that went from 2cm
    to 5cm in 4 weeks. I had both breasts removed in April 09. I take Actos 30mg and Januvia
    100 mg once a day. The chemo made me very sick. I took 6 treatments every 3 weeks. I lost
    weight during chemo. My taste buds went numb. After all that I went and had my A1C and
    it was 6.0. I was estatic. That's the lowest it has ever been. I healed up very quickly
    after my surgery. My surgeon, primary care doctor and onocologist was very surprised how
    well I healed up. My sugar in the mornings was staying around 90 to 115. There were some
    mornings I didnt take my Actos cause I didn't want my sugar to drop. I took Januvia at night. I hope this helps you a little.

Also I took a pet scan last week and I'M CANCER FREE.
    THE CANCER WON THE 1ST BATTLE AND I WON THE 2ND BUT THE WAR IS FAR FROM OVER YET FOR I WILL NOT GIVE UP!!!

GOD BLESS YOU.

ARKANSASGIRL

ArkansasGirl, Glad to hear
    ArkansasGirl, Glad to hear all your good news. My A1C was 7.8 in Dec. and my dr was not pleased so now I'm on a fast acting isulin dose before lunch and dinner, along with a slow release dose at bedtime. I also take metformin and glyburide twice a day so you can see I don't have it under control. Hopefully when most of the treatment is over My sugar levels will be better. My onc told me that metformin may be helpful in treating cancer so there's research going on with that. Freyou, your mom will be fine and she has a very loving daughter to help her. Hoping for good results for your mom.