OVER sensitivity

lisaloo
lisaloo Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Why is it so painful to wear clothes? I know that sounds silly, but I had double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction just over a month ago. Got through all of that just fine. It's all kind of a blur. I've been expanded twice, but now it seems that feelings are coming back (tingling, etc.) and just the slightest touch of clothing rubbing on certain areas is EXTREMELY sensitive ... almost feels like it feels when you have a bad sunburn when something rubs against it. I'm back to work and want to rip my shirt off before it even hits 10:00 a.m.! Has anyone else had this? How long does it last?

Comments

• aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Sorry
    Sorry you are hurting. I have been told that what you are feeling, the pangs, tingling, numbness, and sudden sharp pain is the nerves that were effected. You will have to ask your onc about it but I was told that it could take 6 months to a year to get back to normal.

Take care,

P
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    aztec45 said:

Sorry
    Sorry you are hurting. I have been told that what you are feeling, the pangs, tingling, numbness, and sudden sharp pain is the nerves that were effected. You will have to ask your onc about it but I was told that it could take 6 months to a year to get back to normal.

Take care,

P

that happened to me too, i
    that happened to me too, i wore loose cotton t shirts but i was able to work from home. For me it was mostly the numbness. I hated getting in the shower, that was the most painful for me. I felt like a thousand iceles hitting my body. Naturally, i did not take many showers, but i did not care. Most of it was a blur. I would say it did take awhile to feel normal again, about 8 months for me, i was told it could take up to a year. So hang on, it will get better
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
    Hi I had a single mastectomy
    Hi I had a single mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction 4 1/2 weeks and I have a something similar. I have a certain part of my chest, an area of my stomach and the scar on my stomach that is so tender and sensitive that I also want to tear my clothes off. The sunburn is a great description of it. Other parts of my breast and stomach are numb. I was told the same thing that it is the nerves re-knitting and it can go on for about 6 months. Forunately, for me, I work from home because the only thing that works for me is very loose pants and t-shirts.

You might want to ask your surgeon if this is normal for your case or if there is some cream that can help.
  • helen e
    helen e Member Posts: 223
    Nerves
    I am having the same problem. My oncologist told me that it's my nerves misfiring, telling my brain that I'm in pain when actually I'm not. I would wake up in the middle of the night when my tshirt rubbed against me in pain. He put me on Lyrica. It's an epilisy medicine. It took a few days but it worked. He's keeping me on it for about 6 months and I couldn't be happier. I did have a little trouble with Lyrica so he put me on Neurotin but wither way I wanted to kiss him!! Hope this helps.