breast reconstruction

Unknown
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a reoccurence of breast cancer in Oct. of 2008, had a right partial radical mastectomy on Jan, 26, 2009. I am scheduled to have the skin expander inserted on Feb 11, 2010. I am becoming very anxious about the procedure, and am having second thoughts about reconstruction after it was fully explanied to be by the surgeon on my pre-op visit. I am going to have the silicone implant after the skin has expanded enough. I would like some feed back on experiences of persons with the silicone implant.

Comments

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    I had a lumpectomy so I
    I had a lumpectomy so I can't offer you info, but, wanted to wish you good luck!
  • JanInMN
    JanInMN Member Posts: 149
    I haven't gone through it
    I haven't gone through it yet, but my dear friend had a prophalactic (i'm sure i spelled that wrong) mastectomy in Sept. and had expanders. Her silicone implants went in 3 weeks ago, and she is very pleased. The recovery, for her, was not very difficult, and she looks and feels great. I hope that your experience goes just as well. Many hugs!
    Jan
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    I Love the Silicone Implants
    I had a double mastectomy. Silicone implants have been in my body for 1-1/2 years. They feel great - soft - pliable - probably as close to the real breast as possible. Initially I had planned on having saline implants but I listened to my plastic surgeon. I can't remember everything he told, but it was all positive. I trusted my him, so...5 days before surgery I switched my decision and went with the silicone AND I VERY HAPPY THAT I DID. I have the MENTOR Memory Ge implant. I also had the nipple constructed and the aerola tattooed. Both make the breast look real.

It might help you to see and feel the silicone implant before your surgery. Your doctor should have samples of both the saline and silicone implants for your to examine.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769

I Love the Silicone Implants
    I had a double mastectomy. Silicone implants have been in my body for 1-1/2 years. They feel great - soft - pliable - probably as close to the real breast as possible. Initially I had planned on having saline implants but I listened to my plastic surgeon. I can't remember everything he told, but it was all positive. I trusted my him, so...5 days before surgery I switched my decision and went with the silicone AND I VERY HAPPY THAT I DID. I have the MENTOR Memory Ge implant. I also had the nipple constructed and the aerola tattooed. Both make the breast look real.

It might help you to see and feel the silicone implant before your surgery. Your doctor should have samples of both the saline and silicone implants for your to examine.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle

Silicone implants for me
    I had a double mastectomy 2/2/09 and had tissue expanders put in at that time. I then had the exchange in November 2009 with silicone implants and like Janelle said--they feel great-soft -pliable. Saline implants are hard and feel like the tissue expanders.
    Silicone is better in my mind.

Margo