Forgotten Emend

GayleMc
GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Had my first chemo on Tues., Feb.2. As we were finishing I heard oops we forot her Emend. The next day while in for my shot of Neulasta, I talked to the onc PA and she was very apologetic, but didn't ell me I should not take the dexamethosone for days 3 and 4 since I'd had no Emend. Yesterday, day 3 I was so wired. Couldn't even hold a drinking glass. Having a little bit better today but still feel bad. My cocktail is Taxotere/Cytoxan. Can anyone venture that I may not feel this bad next time.

Comments

• dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    OMG Gayle! What an
    OMG Gayle! What an incompetent bunch of nimcompoops! oops? They forgot the Emend?I would e livid! So sorry you were put through this....You need to remind them everytime you see them from now on what they put you through , and make sure they don't do it again! I know it was human error but it should not have happened and you need to be proactive and very loud about making sure it doesn't happen again. There is a reason for each protacol ...I did 6 chemos TAC(Taxotere/Cytoxan/and Adrimycin and although I had days where I just wanted to lay around , I was never nauseated and I never experienced the shakiness you're describing.I'm so sorry you went through this...but it will be better next time...
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    dyaneb123 said:

OMG Gayle! What an
    OMG Gayle! What an incompetent bunch of nimcompoops! oops? They forgot the Emend?I would e livid! So sorry you were put through this....You need to remind them everytime you see them from now on what they put you through , and make sure they don't do it again! I know it was human error but it should not have happened and you need to be proactive and very loud about making sure it doesn't happen again. There is a reason for each protacol ...I did 6 chemos TAC(Taxotere/Cytoxan/and Adrimycin and although I had days where I just wanted to lay around , I was never nauseated and I never experienced the shakiness you're describing.I'm so sorry you went through this...but it will be better next time...

You should have a
    You should have a prescription for Emend, have it filled and bring it with you for every treatment. I'm sorry you didn't have it before this treatment. If you don't have a prescription call your doctor and get one. This drug is very expensive so if you don't have insurance coverage also ask your doctor about getting it free from the manufacturer. I did and my doctors office filled out all the paperwork to make sure I was approved.
    Good luck with your next treatment.
  • GayleMc
    Sher43009 said:

You should have a
    You should have a prescription for Emend, have it filled and bring it with you for every treatment. I'm sorry you didn't have it before this treatment. If you don't have a prescription call your doctor and get one. This drug is very expensive so if you don't have insurance coverage also ask your doctor about getting it free from the manufacturer. I did and my doctors office filled out all the paperwork to make sure I was approved.
    Good luck with your next treatment.

Thank you ladies. I knew I
    Thank you ladies. I knew I would feel better hearing from you. I didnot have a bit of nausea or other bad s/e but can't stop thinking about how much better I might feel without this problem. The doctor was going to have the Emend for me when I arrived as I have no rx coverage. In my nervousness I assumed they gave it in my iv. Well, lessons learned.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    GayleMc said:

Thank you ladies. I knew I
    Thank you ladies. I knew I would feel better hearing from you. I didnot have a bit of nausea or other bad s/e but can't stop thinking about how much better I might feel without this problem. The doctor was going to have the Emend for me when I arrived as I have no rx coverage. In my nervousness I assumed they gave it in my iv. Well, lessons learned.

Emend can not be given
    Emend can not be given through the IV. Ask your doctor for the pills if they are willing to give them to you so you can be in control. There is anti nausea drugs that can be given through your IV to. There is also a drug ( not to expensive ) called sofran. I had emend & sofran through my first 4 rounds of ac plus what they put in the IV and I was never sick and I was never shakey. I did however not feel well about the 3rd day after treatment, but it only lasted a day or 2 and I was fine again. I did get very tired towards the end of chemo.
  • GayleMc
    Kat11 said:

Emend can not be given
    Emend can not be given through the IV. Ask your doctor for the pills if they are willing to give them to you so you can be in control. There is anti nausea drugs that can be given through your IV to. There is also a drug ( not to expensive ) called sofran. I had emend & sofran through my first 4 rounds of ac plus what they put in the IV and I was never sick and I was never shakey. I did however not feel well about the 3rd day after treatment, but it only lasted a day or 2 and I was fine again. I did get very tired towards the end of chemo.

Thank you for the info. I
    Thank you for the info. I am more encouraged now. It's all so new to me and so many things running through my mind. This support really helps.