OFF TOPIC: Superbowl/Oscars/TV party recipes?

TraciInLA
TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi, everyone -

Some of us talked a little about this on shortscake's thread earlier in the week, and I thought it might be a fun weekend thread to share some recipes.

With the Superbowl this weekend and the Oscars coming up in just a few weeks: Do you have any favorite tv/viewing-party recipes?

I'm not into football, but love to park myself on the couch in front of the tv from the first minute of Oscars red-carpet coverage. I load up the coffee table with lots of snackies to keep up my stamina for all the "what the heck is she wearing?" commentary that it is my responsibility to provide. :-)

Any party recipes to share, from your couch to ours?

Traci

Comments

• natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Hey Cousin Tracy we need to
    Hey Cousin Tracy we need to share Oscar critiques. One of my very favorite things to do. I'm not cooking a thing for super bowl or Oscars but I'll have plenty to say about the hair, jewels, and gowns worn for the Oscars. You are quite the wit. I cannot come up with the comical and so true comments you make, but I could give it a try.
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    natly15 said:

Hey Cousin Tracy we need to
    Hey Cousin Tracy we need to share Oscar critiques. One of my very favorite things to do. I'm not cooking a thing for super bowl or Oscars but I'll have plenty to say about the hair, jewels, and gowns worn for the Oscars. You are quite the wit. I cannot come up with the comical and so true comments you make, but I could give it a try.

Bean Dip
    This is the easiest to make (I'm known for my non-cooking skills) so here it goes:
    1 can Refried beans
    1 jar salsa, hot, medium or mild your choice
    1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Mix together heat on stove or microwave until cheese is melted.
    Serve with corn chips, or on hot dogs.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    SuperBowl fare
    Crockpot Carnitas

Ingredients:
    3 pounds pork butt roast
    4 garlic cloves
    1 fresh jalapeno pepper
    1 bunch fresh cilantro
    1 can lite beer
    corn tortillas

Directions:

Insert garlic cloves in roast; place in crock pot with whole pepper and half bunch of cilantro which has been chopped. Season to taste. Pour in beer.

Cook on high 4 to 6 hours until fork tender. Remove meat; shred. Serve in steamed tortillas.

Traci, after I shred the meat, I put it on a baking sheet and broil it for a few minutes to crisp it up a bit. I am also making quacamole, rice to go along with it. That and the ubiquitous chip,dips and buffalo wings,with celery sticks and blue cheese dressing, of course! Need I even mention ice cold beer? I didn't think so! LOL

All of this cooking and serving keeps me IN the kitchen and out of the living room~ as I mentioned in an earlier post, I couldn't care any less about football! But friends here and good food? That's what I'm talking about!

The Santa Barbara film festival is happening this week...and Sandra Bullock was here last night ( no, not at my house, but in SB!) getting an award. Someone gave us ONE ticket to a screening and an after party on Thursday ( the Jeff Bridges film) but neither Reggie not I wanted to go without the other one, so the now obsolete ticket is still on my coffee-table!

Have fun!

Claudia
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    chili dip
    1 can chili and beans
    1 pkg cream cheese

Put togetther in bowl and microwave, stirring about every 45 seconds, until hot and bubbly.

Serve with Fritos or tortilla chips.

So easy and extremely yummy!