My Son's Definition for Survivor

natly15
natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My son clarified/defined survivor for me. He told me before I even had my surgery that I was a survivor because I was still alive. Wow, that really impressed me. He feels that anyone who is alive and fighting this beast at whatever place of treatment is a survivor. When I had the surgery, he said mom you are now cancer free. The chemo and radiation are the reinforcements you need to remove any lingering bad cells in your body. I love his definition. We are all strong warriors and the ultimate survivors.

Comments

• Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    You Have A Wise Son
    I am so impressed with your son's wisdom. I particularly like, "Mom, you are now cancer free. The chemo and radiation are the reinforecements you need to remove any lingering bad cells in your body." I think these two statements should become a motto.

How young is your son?

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    I wholeheartedly agree with
    I wholeheartedly agree with him. I think that's the reason for the name of this site Cancer "Survivors". I'm so happy to be able to be a part of it and with such wonderful sisters, and brothers, too!! Thanks, Natly.
  • natly15

You Have A Wise Son
    I am so impressed with your son's wisdom. I particularly like, "Mom, you are now cancer free. The chemo and radiation are the reinforecements you need to remove any lingering bad cells in your body." I think these two statements should become a motto.

How young is your son?

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle

Janelle, thanks for your
    Janelle, thanks for your comments regarding my son. He turned 34 on Jan 1. He has always been a wise young man. A mom's place is to keep her kids grounded and in touch with what is real. The tables have turned and he refreshes my memory when I remotely stray.
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Hi Natly
    That is exactly what my surgeon and my oncologist told me. You have a very wise son.
    Hugs - Pat
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    It is one thing for our Drs
    It is one thing for our Drs and the Kindred Spirits here on the boards to recognize the definition of Survivor~ but quite another for someone on the outside looking in to see it and apply it to you! I second the notion that you have indeed raised a wise son, and a valuable man. Smile, Natly, "you done good!"
    I am certain his words to you meant much more than anything your medical team has said ! :-)

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • natly15
    chenheart said:

It is one thing for our Drs
    It is one thing for our Drs and the Kindred Spirits here on the boards to recognize the definition of Survivor~ but quite another for someone on the outside looking in to see it and apply it to you! I second the notion that you have indeed raised a wise son, and a valuable man. Smile, Natly, "you done good!"
    I am certain his words to you meant much more than anything your medical team has said ! :-)

Hugs,
    Claudia

Yes Chen, his words
    Yes Chen, his words certainly uplifted me. I didnt understand any of this when I was first diagnosed, particularly didnt understand the word survivor. As we all are, I was stunned by the diagnosis. I plan to continue surviving and enjoying all the good things life has to offer despite the difficulties.
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    natly15 said:

Yes Chen, his words
    Yes Chen, his words certainly uplifted me. I didnt understand any of this when I was first diagnosed, particularly didnt understand the word survivor. As we all are, I was stunned by the diagnosis. I plan to continue surviving and enjoying all the good things life has to offer despite the difficulties.

True words!
    I love what your son said to you Natly!

♥ Noel
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Noel said:

True words!
    I love what your son said to you Natly!

♥ Noel

Give him a big hug and kiss...
    from another mother! Mama G!
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    Mama G said:

Give him a big hug and kiss...
    from another mother! Mama G!

Natly, you have a great son
    Natly, you have a great son and he has one heck of a survivor MOM.
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    What a wonderful son, Natly!
    It seems he's not only intelligent, but he's also very positive. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree :))

Mar
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Marlene_K said:

What a wonderful son, Natly!
    It seems he's not only intelligent, but he's also very positive. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree :))

Mar

Wow! What a great son and
    Wow! What a great son and what great words from him!

Give him a hug for me!

Sue :)