Monmouth County Radiation Facility

lucks
lucks Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi my lumpectomy surgery is scheduled in NYC followed by radiation. Anybody out there use a facility in Monmouth COunty, NJ to do radiation treatments?

Comments

• canoegirl
    canoegirl Member Posts: 169
    Also in Mnmouth
    Hi, I'm also in Monmouth county. I WAS going to do everything at Monmouth Med in Long Branch and I've heard they're really good. It's a long story, but I ended up switching to NYC. I'm doing my chemo (and maybe rads) in Basking Ridge (Sloan Kettering). Had a friend who went there last year and really was happy with them. You could also checkout Riverview in Red Bank, they have a new Women's Center and I had a bone density scan there.
    Good luck!
    Marcy
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    Trying to find out his name, but
    I'm in Ocean County and I've heard the guy in charge of Radiology in Toms River (my town) practically wrote the book on Radiology. I'm just hoping he accepts my insurance.
  • lucks
    canoegirl said:

Also in Mnmouth
    Hi, I'm also in Monmouth county. I WAS going to do everything at Monmouth Med in Long Branch and I've heard they're really good. It's a long story, but I ended up switching to NYC. I'm doing my chemo (and maybe rads) in Basking Ridge (Sloan Kettering). Had a friend who went there last year and really was happy with them. You could also checkout Riverview in Red Bank, they have a new Women's Center and I had a bone density scan there.
    Good luck!
    Marcy

Monmouth County
    Thanks Marcy, my surgery is at Sloan in NYC. I had my stereotactic biopsy done at RIverview and the dr. there was great! There was no way I was going to do my surgery there so I went with Sloan. So far I am hearing good things about Riverview for radiation.
  • canoegirl
    lucks said:

Monmouth County
    Thanks Marcy, my surgery is at Sloan in NYC. I had my stereotactic biopsy done at RIverview and the dr. there was great! There was no way I was going to do my surgery there so I went with Sloan. So far I am hearing good things about Riverview for radiation.

Chemo?
    Are you doing chemo? If so, where are you doing that? I'm hoping to avoid the radiation, but won't know for a while. THey said it depends on how chemo goes or something. Only 2 nodes were positive, but one was encapsulated (?). Hoping I know more after I speak with the oncologist. I've been happy with Sloan (other than sitting in the outpatient surgical waiting room for 4 hours waiting for surgery. Didn't get out of recovery until 9:30 PM and I barely was awake at that point.

ALso, have you been to the Riverview cancer support group? I'm thinking about checking them out once I get back to work.
  • lucks
    canoegirl said:

Chemo?
    Are you doing chemo? If so, where are you doing that? I'm hoping to avoid the radiation, but won't know for a while. THey said it depends on how chemo goes or something. Only 2 nodes were positive, but one was encapsulated (?). Hoping I know more after I speak with the oncologist. I've been happy with Sloan (other than sitting in the outpatient surgical waiting room for 4 hours waiting for surgery. Didn't get out of recovery until 9:30 PM and I barely was awake at that point.

ALso, have you been to the Riverview cancer support group? I'm thinking about checking them out once I get back to work.

No Chemo for me
    Hi canoegirl, no chemo scheduled on tap for me. Lumpetomy for 2/16 with biosy of sentinel nodes - oncologist feels DCIS is contained within the ducts - no family history either. Good luck! That's for the heads up on surgical waiting.
  • canoegirl
    lucks said:

No Chemo for me
    Hi canoegirl, no chemo scheduled on tap for me. Lumpetomy for 2/16 with biosy of sentinel nodes - oncologist feels DCIS is contained within the ducts - no family history either. Good luck! That's for the heads up on surgical waiting.

waiting
    In case you have a lap top, there were several people in the waiting room using them. There apparently are two different surgical floors with different setups, but I was in the day-surgery area. Anyway, it was very crowded and no TV's or anything to look at, so bring something mindless to distract you. I had to wait till 4 and by then I was starving! My poor husband and dad-in-law were there for 8 1/2 hours...they were the only ones there by the time I was done. The waiting room is the only part of Sloan that I haven't liked....OK, I didn't like having surgery either, but there's not much that can be done about that. I'm still waiting for a new treatment where I just take a cruise and wake up cured!
    Good luck with surgery!