would love to know

balou
balou Member Posts: 11
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
hi everyone , my sister 29 years old has been diagnosed with breast cancer stage 3b , last july , she went into chemo docetaxel =carboplatin and herceptin , got her mastectomy last december pathology result was good , she is currently taking 2 more cycles of chemo same combination herceptin every 3 weeks for 1 year and radiation for 28 sessions .. i was wondering how many of you got the herceptin and what the recurrence statistic for young women who took herceptin as far as i know it is a great drug and i am counting on it ..let's hope .. have a nice every one

Comments

• susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Hi! I didn't take chemo nor
    Hi! I didn't take chemo nor do I take Herceptin, but, I wanted to wish your sister good luck.

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • balou
    susie09 said:

Hi! I didn't take chemo nor do I take Herceptin, but, I wanted to wish your sister good luck.

♠♣ Susie ♠♣

thanks susie

thanks susie
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Sorry
    Sorry about your sister. I will be starting Herceptin tomorrow. This drug is designed to kill all cells with the HER2 marker. I am not sure about the recurrence stats but I will find out for you tomorrow.

Take care.

Pat
  • balou
    aztec45 said:

Sorry
    Sorry about your sister. I will be starting Herceptin tomorrow. This drug is designed to kill all cells with the HER2 marker. I am not sure about the recurrence stats but I will find out for you tomorrow.

Take care.

Pat

thanks a lot pat ..good luck
    thanks a lot pat ..good luck for 2morrow
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    balou said:

thanks a lot pat ..good luck
    thanks a lot pat ..good luck for 2morrow

I'm also HER2+ and on
    I'm also HER2+ and on Herceptin until Oct. I asked my oncol. what test is done to be sure the herceptin worked and he told me there is not one other than the cancer not coming back. Not very reassuring but 15 years ago without herceptin this would have been a death sentence so I'm very thankful it's available.

I wish your sister well and have her log on as well there are a lot of very caring people on this board.

Sher
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Sher43009 said:

I'm also HER2+ and on
    I'm also HER2+ and on Herceptin until Oct. I asked my oncol. what test is done to be sure the herceptin worked and he told me there is not one other than the cancer not coming back. Not very reassuring but 15 years ago without herceptin this would have been a death sentence so I'm very thankful it's available.

I wish your sister well and have her log on as well there are a lot of very caring people on this board.

Sher

I am sorry about your
    I am sorry about your sister. I pray that her journey goes smoothly for her. You are a good sister to be so concerned and to seek advice. Good luck!

Sue :)
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Hello, balou
    Sending my best wishes for your sister's behalf. With hopes that all of her treatments will be successful.

I believe that your question about recurrence stats would be best asked directly of her medical oncology doctor. Beyond the drugs themselves - no matter what they are - much depends on each individual patient's diagnosis, final post-surgery pathology results, etc. ...

My best wishes to you, too.

Kind regards, Susan
  • balou

Hello, balou
    Sending my best wishes for your sister's behalf. With hopes that all of her treatments will be successful.

I believe that your question about recurrence stats would be best asked directly of her medical oncology doctor. Beyond the drugs themselves - no matter what they are - much depends on each individual patient's diagnosis, final post-surgery pathology results, etc. ...

My best wishes to you, too.

Kind regards, Susan

hi thanks everyone for your
    hi thanks everyone for your concern ...best wishes to you all ..
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    balou said:

hi thanks everyone for your
    hi thanks everyone for your concern ...best wishes to you all ..

Well I did not have to take Herceptin since the docs looked at my chart again and discovered I did not need the drug. I will, however, be starting the 5 year maintenance drug, which one will be decided after my onc looks at my blood results. It has to do with whether you are pre or post menopausel.

Anyway back to you....I did ask the onc what the recurrence rate is and it is between 6-10 percent. I like to look at it that I have a 90% chance that it will not return. Of course this percentage is based on completing the regiment of chemo, radiation, and maintenance drugs.

Hope this helps.

P
  • balou
    aztec45 said:

Well I did not have to take Herceptin since the docs looked at my chart again and discovered I did not need the drug. I will, however, be starting the 5 year maintenance drug, which one will be decided after my onc looks at my blood results. It has to do with whether you are pre or post menopausel.

Anyway back to you....I did ask the onc what the recurrence rate is and it is between 6-10 percent. I like to look at it that I have a 90% chance that it will not return. Of course this percentage is based on completing the regiment of chemo, radiation, and maintenance drugs.

Hope this helps.

P

waw
    waw,, thanks it really helped me at least i can think positive now... that the chance is 90% .wish you all the best ...
  • peacefulheart
    peacefulheart Member Posts: 34
    susie09 said:

♠♣ Susie ♠♣

No Chemo
    Susie,

I'm curious. Did you decide to bypass chemo or did you not need it. I'm one of those rare people who made the decision not to do the recommended chemo.

Cathy
  • lafera12
    lafera12 Member Posts: 63
    balou said:

waw
    waw,, thanks it really helped me at least i can think positive now... that the chance is 90% .wish you all the best ...

would love to know--Herceptin
    I did all that--chemo-surgery-radiation and finished Herceptin.
    Started chemo Feb,2008-surgery in September and started radiation and the rest of the Herceptin in Oct.-finished the Herceptin in April..So far so good.
    If you want more information about it--there is a website.
    Herceptin.com, it tell you all that you want to know.
    Hope this helps.

Angie
  • balou
    lafera12 said:

would love to know--Herceptin
    I did all that--chemo-surgery-radiation and finished Herceptin.
    Started chemo Feb,2008-surgery in September and started radiation and the rest of the Herceptin in Oct.-finished the Herceptin in April..So far so good.
    If you want more information about it--there is a website.
    Herceptin.com, it tell you all that you want to know.
    Hope this helps.

Angie

thanks you Angie wish you
    thanks you Angie wish you luck in everything you do ...balou .
  • Jules564
    Jules564 Member Posts: 8
    Would Love to know
    Hi Balou...

I just wanted to let you know that I was diagonsed as stage 3a back in 2007. I took the same combo of chemo and the herceptin for a year too. I just had my scans, x-rays and blood work and all is well. I pray for your sister to have peace during her treatments.

Take care!
  • balou
    Jules564 said:

Would Love to know
    Hi Balou...

I just wanted to let you know that I was diagonsed as stage 3a back in 2007. I took the same combo of chemo and the herceptin for a year too. I just had my scans, x-rays and blood work and all is well. I pray for your sister to have peace during her treatments.

Take care!

thanks
    Jules god bless you thank you very much