No scarf on my head to work yesterday!!

pattimc
pattimc Member Posts: 431
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi all,

Well, I finally decided to come to work "sans scarf!" I was a little apprehensive but everyone was very kind and excited for me! I should say that I work for a congregation of nuns so lots of them have had cancer and are survivors, too. Also, the fact that I work with mostly women, made the transition from scarf to very short hair much easier!

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Way to go!
    Isn't it wonderful to finally be able to ditch the wig? And all the scarves and hats? I did it about 3 weeks ago.......I now have short about 3/4-1 inch of CHEMO CURLS! And I love it! The easiet hair do I have ever had.....wash it, fluff the curls and away I go......it dries in less than 10 minutes.....just like a baby's......

Congrats!
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    I think that's great news,
    I think that's great news, too, Patti. I can't wait for my day to ditch the scarfs. I still have a couple of weeks to go until I can color my hair and then, I, too, will be au natural!!

About your comment "that I work for a congregation of nuns so lots of them have had cancer", is this true?
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    MyTurnNow said:

I think that's great news, too, Patti. I can't wait for my day to ditch the scarfs. I still have a couple of weeks to go until I can color my hair and then, I, too, will be au natural!!

About your comment "that I work for a congregation of nuns so lots of them have had cancer", is this true?

I'm jealous Patti
    I want to

I'm jealous Patti
    I want to ditch the wig so bad...but my hair is soooooooooooo short on the sides and back...barely there....oh well can't rush it I guess!
  • pattimc
    MyTurnNow said:

nuns
    Yes, it's true. I don't mean that in general nuns have more cancer than anyone else. Just that there are alot of survivors that I work with. Because of that, I have had so much support, prayers and understanding about my illness. Not sure I would have had that if I worked for a big male oriented corporation!
  • MyTurnNow
    pattimc said:

nuns
    Yes, it's true. I don't mean that in general nuns have more cancer than anyone else. Just that there are alot of survivors that I work with. Because of that, I have had so much support, prayers and understanding about my illness. Not sure I would have had that if I worked for a big male oriented corporation!

Wow, very interesting. I'm
    Wow, very interesting. I'm glad that you got the support, prayers and understanding that you did; it does make all the difference in the world. Take care.
  • lisamnovak
    lisamnovak Member Posts: 27
    Well....
    Well, I think that is FABULOUS!!! Congratulations!
  • mickeymom
    mickeymom Member Posts: 117
    Envy!
    I'm at work - still in my scarf - feeling completely envious of you! Congratulations!! I think that's just great. I can't wait until I can join you!
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    WOW...I stand in awe! Going
    WOW...I stand in awe! Going "au naturelle" was something I was never able to come to terms with, much as I wanted to! I didn't even go without here at home! I slept with a bandana, and got up b4 morning light to make sure it was on! I wore fake eyelashes and never left the house without some sort of head covering, be it a wig, bandana or hat, and big sunglasses. I showered in the dark so as not to have to see myself when I got out of the shower. Not for the breast scar, or the port, but for the baldness. It was far worse for me than the surgery, rads, or chemo.

Funny thing is, I never, ever feel repulsed or otherwise put-off by any bald or otherwise obvious chemo-sisters. I know no one would have felt repulsed by me~ or if they did, I wouldn't have had them in my circle of friends, anyway! But I just hated it so very much!

So bless your heart.... and your head! LOL

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    chenheart said:

WOW...I stand in awe! Going
    WOW...I stand in awe! Going "au naturelle" was something I was never able to come to terms with, much as I wanted to! I didn't even go without here at home! I slept with a bandana, and got up b4 morning light to make sure it was on! I wore fake eyelashes and never left the house without some sort of head covering, be it a wig, bandana or hat, and big sunglasses. I showered in the dark so as not to have to see myself when I got out of the shower. Not for the breast scar, or the port, but for the baldness. It was far worse for me than the surgery, rads, or chemo.

Funny thing is, I never, ever feel repulsed or otherwise put-off by any bald or otherwise obvious chemo-sisters. I know no one would have felt repulsed by me~ or if they did, I wouldn't have had them in my circle of friends, anyway! But I just hated it so very much!

So bless your heart.... and your head! LOL

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Congrats!
    That is a very big accomplishment! Glad everyone was nice to you, but, why shouldn't they be? Proud of you!

♥ Noel
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Wow, very interesting. I'm
    Wow, very interesting. I'm glad that you got the support, prayers and understanding that you did; it does make all the difference in the world. Take care.

Nuns and breast cancer
    I do remember reading somewhere (though I don't now remember where) that the incidence of breast cancer may be somewhat higher among nuns because, generally speaking, they're more likely to have never had a baby.

I don't remember the specifics at all, but I thought the theory was interesting -- speaking as someone who has never had a baby, and was diagnosed with breast cancer at 40.

Traci
  • pattimc
    Noel said:

Congrats!
    That is a very big accomplishment! Glad everyone was nice to you, but, why shouldn't they be? Proud of you!

♥ Noel

Thanks everyone.....
    This is day three w/o a head covering and it's easier and easier each day! Not sure I could go to the store w/o a hat on or something, but here at work is my safe zone. Everyone is rejoicing in this next phase of recovery...including me!!

Patti
  • pitt
    pitt Member Posts: 387
    Congratulations! I am so
    Congratulations! I am so envious of your scarf-less status!!! I finished chemo in December and am maybe another month away from being at your point. My hair is growing in like Jamie Lee Curtis' in the yogurt commercial...used to be blonde, now dishwater with lots of gray and I LOVE IT!!! I can't wait to be at the point where you are. Enjoy!!! Pitt
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    pitt said:

Congratulations! I am so
    Congratulations! I am so envious of your scarf-less status!!! I finished chemo in December and am maybe another month away from being at your point. My hair is growing in like Jamie Lee Curtis' in the yogurt commercial...used to be blonde, now dishwater with lots of gray and I LOVE IT!!! I can't wait to be at the point where you are. Enjoy!!! Pitt

YOU GO GIRL!!
    I'm about to do the same as soon as the weather allows.

I walked around the school today without my hat and it was weird that no one seemed to notice. hahaha maybe I waited too long?!
  • Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233
    wow
    I cant wait...my head is covered with hair but not quite at that point yet...sooooooo close! How long since you had your last chemo?
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    Congratuations.
    I am really happy for you.I keep looking every day for mine to be long enough to shed the wig and hats.I am like chen and would not let anyone see me with out something on my head.Only when I am home by myself do I go bald.My hair came in a very ugly gray and real thin.I sometimes wonder if I will ever get my hair back.I know I will in time.It sure is taking a long time.It used to grow fast.I can only imagine how good that must feel. Pat.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    ppurdin said:

Congratuations.
    I am really happy for you.I keep looking every day for mine to be long enough to shed the wig and hats.I am like chen and would not let anyone see me with out something on my head.Only when I am home by myself do I go bald.My hair came in a very ugly gray and real thin.I sometimes wonder if I will ever get my hair back.I know I will in time.It sure is taking a long time.It used to grow fast.I can only imagine how good that must feel. Pat.

Congrats!

Congrats!
  • pattimc
    pitt said:

Congratulations! I am so

Still scarfless
    Pitt, I finished my last chemo on October 9th. My hair is growing in salt and pepper (mostly salt I'm afraid!) and I, too, look a bit like Jamie Lee Curtis! So funny that you said that!

You will get there!!
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Hatless
    Happy "hatless" to you. My hair about 2" long, but I work in surgery, so must wear a head covering. Kind of funny, but no one really notices me cause I'm wearing a bonnet, cause everyone's wearing one! lol
  • MyTurnNow
    pattimc said:

Still scarfless
    Pitt, I finished my last chemo on October 9th. My hair is growing in salt and pepper (mostly salt I'm afraid!) and I, too, look a bit like Jamie Lee Curtis! So funny that you said that!

You will get there!!

Patti and Pitt, I think
    Patti and Pitt, I think we're ALL a bunch of Jamie Lee Curtis look-a-likes. My daughter just said the same thing to me last night. Too funny!!
  • pattimc
    MyTurnNow said:

Patti and Pitt, I think
    Patti and Pitt, I think we're ALL a bunch of Jamie Lee Curtis look-a-likes. My daughter just said the same thing to me last night. Too funny!!

Jamie Lee Curtis Look a likes
    As I sit here eating my daily Activia!!!

LOL