Big Mistake - Did I Get An E-mail From One of the Bad People?

Different Ballgame
Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Below is the e-mail I received today.

"Beloved, I am is Judith Alexander, I am suffering from breast cancer. I have something important to discuss with you. REPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Regards, Mrs. Judith Alexander."

Is she one of "those bad people"?

I made a mistake. Before I read the posting WARNING, unfortunately on another posting I posted my e-mail address because I am new and did not know the in's and out's of this site.

So now I am wondering how many "bad people" will be contacting me.

Janelle

Comments

• fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    I would not reply to anyone
    I would not reply to anyone you do not know. If someone wants to get in touch with you on a one on one level they can PM from here. We do have at least one Judy but not sure of her last name and I think she would explain better who she is in her email. The wording on this email sounds hinkey to me. I don't think you will be overrun with bad people emailing you and this could be legitimate but the best thing is to ignore any emails from anyone you don't know. Better safe than sorry. It's easy to forget that there are people out there who will prey on someone who has a serious illness or disease. Kind souls expect to find that from others but it is not always the case.
    Stef
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    My solution
    Janelle I would simply not open any e-mail from any source you are not familiar with. If you do not know them delete without opening. Here on CSN there is an email system set up where we can contact one another so if they are legit they can contact you through that service. Also some emails have the ability to block someone from contacting you so you may want to see if this is an option with your email service.

If the original email you posted here containing your personal e-mail address is still available you can go back and delete it if you wish to do so.

Hope this helps.

RE
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    RE said:

My solution
    Janelle I would simply not open any e-mail from any source you are not familiar with. If you do not know them delete without opening. Here on CSN there is an email system set up where we can contact one another so if they are legit they can contact you through that service. Also some emails have the ability to block someone from contacting you so you may want to see if this is an option with your email service.

If the original email you posted here containing your personal e-mail address is still available you can go back and delete it if you wish to do so.

Hope this helps.

RE

Thank You, RE
    You are a sweetheart. I never thought to go back to edit. Now I will be able to breathe easier.

I am computer literate and know when to be on the alert. I was just wondering and curious as how these bad people approach you with their words. Her e-mail address was also suspicious.

Another question, do the "bad people" also try to reach you via private message?

Janelle
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988

Thank You, RE
    You are a sweetheart. I never thought to go back to edit. Now I will be able to breathe easier.

I am computer literate and know when to be on the alert. I was just wondering and curious as how these bad people approach you with their words. Her e-mail address was also suspicious.

Another question, do the "bad people" also try to reach you via private message?

Janelle

Janelle, I have never been
    Janelle, I have never been contacted by anyone on PM that I didn't recognize their name on the boards, so, for me, the answer is no. I am sure if they wanted to contact you thru PM you would know who you were answering. There are lots of people on this site, but I recognize the names of most everyone that I would care to answer. By the way, my last name isn't Alexander, and my given name is Judy...not Judith. Stef is right...there are a couple of Judy's on here recently, and I know there must be more out there that are reading our posts. You are so wise to be cautious. Let's all hope the "bad people" will soon just give up trying to beat the system. Hugs to you and yours, Judy
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member

Janelle, I have never been
    Janelle, I have never been contacted by anyone on PM that I didn't recognize their name on the boards, so, for me, the answer is no. I am sure if they wanted to contact you thru PM you would know who you were answering. There are lots of people on this site, but I recognize the names of most everyone that I would care to answer. By the way, my last name isn't Alexander, and my given name is Judy...not Judith. Stef is right...there are a couple of Judy's on here recently, and I know there must be more out there that are reading our posts. You are so wise to be cautious. Let's all hope the "bad people" will soon just give up trying to beat the system. Hugs to you and yours, Judy

Janelle...IT'S NOT ME!
    I would not answer that email if I were you. There is no valid reason to email you and not give the reason in the email you rec'd. This info goes for all discussion boards or anytime you are talking on the internet. Sounds like a set-up for a request for money etc.

Although I became a member in Aug 09, I didn't really post much, just read and got info and then was too sick during chemo and have become more active since Dec when I finished my chemo. It's a great group of women (and a couple of gentlemen) so please don't let one bad experience keep you from participating.

Hugs, Judy (not Judith Alexander and that is probably not her or his real name) :-)
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    I feel certain, from the
    I feel certain, from the wording of your suspicious email, that you have probably been contacted by the sister/wife/niece/ of a certain Barrister from Nigeria who always writes to inform me that I have won a lottery I didn't even know I had entered! LOL

Some emails, which are written in a slightly better format "warn" me that my Payal account is possibly in jeopardy, and if I would please send my full name, SS#, PayPal account # and so on, this department ( bless their hearts! ) will take care of everything for me! Aren't people kind???? LOL LOL LOL

No need to remind you not to open things from ppl you don't know...it's just that you have entered the world of BC; and as a Kindred Spirit cannot imagine that some are not who they claim to be. Out of every 100 , no 200 who join CSN, a scant less than 1% are not who or what they appear to be. And in my opinion, they are to be pitied~ who in their right mind would come to a cancer site if they did NOT have or care for someone visited by the Beast?

Fret not, dear sister~ you are surrounded by a strong army of warrior survivors!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    RE said:

My solution

Hope this helps.

RE

If you can't edit the post
    If you can't edit the post to remove your email address (if someone has replied to it) you can contact CSN (at the top right) and request that they delete the post.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    chenheart said:

I feel certain, from the
    I feel certain, from the wording of your suspicious email, that you have probably been contacted by the sister/wife/niece/ of a certain Barrister from Nigeria who always writes to inform me that I have won a lottery I didn't even know I had entered! LOL

Some emails, which are written in a slightly better format "warn" me that my Payal account is possibly in jeopardy, and if I would please send my full name, SS#, PayPal account # and so on, this department ( bless their hearts! ) will take care of everything for me! Aren't people kind???? LOL LOL LOL

No need to remind you not to open things from ppl you don't know...it's just that you have entered the world of BC; and as a Kindred Spirit cannot imagine that some are not who they claim to be. Out of every 100 , no 200 who join CSN, a scant less than 1% are not who or what they appear to be. And in my opinion, they are to be pitied~ who in their right mind would come to a cancer site if they did NOT have or care for someone visited by the Beast?

Fret not, dear sister~ you are surrounded by a strong army of warrior survivors!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

I am glad that you got to
    I am glad that you got to delete your email. That thread from Alexis is good for everyone to read every now and then. Noone likes to think that there are bad people on here, but, there have been and still are. Like they said, just don't get out your personal info to someone on here unless you are sure of them. Now relax!

Sue :)
  • Ritzy said:

I am glad that you got to
    I am glad that you got to delete your email. That thread from Alexis is good for everyone to read every now and then. Noone likes to think that there are bad people on here, but, there have been and still are. Like they said, just don't get out your personal info to someone on here unless you are sure of them. Now relax!

I Still Have The Problem
    When I tried to delete my e-mail address, I could not find my message to the person on that posting and I am not exactly sure how I sent the message to that person. So...i don't know what to do. I'll just be very careful with incoming e-mails.

Janelle
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

I Still Have The Problem
    When I tried to delete my e-mail address, I could not find my message to the person on that posting and I am not exactly sure how I sent the message to that person. So...i don't know what to do. I'll just be very careful with incoming e-mails.

Janelle

Can you block them from your
    Can you block them from your email? I know on mine I can. You should have a copy of your email in your sent folder if you have one.

• Ritzy said:

Can you block them from your
    Can you block them from your email? I know on mine I can. You should have a copy of your email in your sent folder if you have one.

Magic Words
    The Magic Words are - look in your Sent Folder. I am happy to report that i sent my e-mail address via private message. Yea!!!!! I did send it correctly - private message.

Now, I am curious as how that Judy Alexander got my e-mail. Another mystery.

At least I can rest knowing that I did send the message via private message.

I was wondering where my sent message were> You forced me to take a better look at the In and Sent Messages. Before I was focusing on the IN messages.

Many thanks for your input.

Janelle
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    chenheart said:

I feel certain, from the

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Geez
    Geez Chen, I thought I was the only one blessed with a Nigerian friend. He wrote me only last week! LOL Knocked his butt to the spam file!!!!
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    padee6339 said:

Geez
    Geez Chen, I thought I was the only one blessed with a Nigerian friend. He wrote me only last week! LOL Knocked his butt to the spam file!!!!

What??? You didnt send him
    What??? You didnt send him your SS# and your bank acct routing number??? How on earth do you think he's going to be able to send your winnings to you? LOL Oh well, I guess that means more money for me, huh? But being as you and I are Kindred Spirits here on the boards, if you send ME your banking info, I will send you your share! HAHAHAHA

Hugs,
    Chen♥