Sedation for diagnosis procedures

jbryant
jbryant Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have been diagnosied with breast cancer and had a lumpectomy and will have 6 weeks rad. My question is-

Why don't they tell us about the pain related to the diagnostic procedures?

The "needle" biopsy was not a needle- It was a drill bit into the breast. It was no needele, it was the diameter of a straw. Pure torture.

Then I had a localization and sentinal nobe with no sedation. Just a topical application of creme that did NOTHING. Who thought it was a good idea to insert a long needle into the breast, then do 5 injections into the nimple with no sedation?

I would like to warn all- ASK YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT PRE-MEDS. NO ONE SHOULD HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS!!!!!!!

Please know I am not a chicken- two kids- natural child birth, numerous MRI's, CT's, bone scans- not a problem.

Comments

• DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    I am so sorry. I had a core
    I am so sorry. I had a core needle biopsy and the needle was big, but, they numbed me so I felt absolutely nothing. They had also prescribed a nerve pill for me to make sure that I would be calm prior to this biopsy. Your doctors should have done the same for you. Sending you big hugs!

Debby
  • jbryant
    jbryant Member Posts: 6
    DebbyM said:

I am so sorry. I had a core
    I am so sorry. I had a core needle biopsy and the needle was big, but, they numbed me so I felt absolutely nothing. They had also prescribed a nerve pill for me to make sure that I would be calm prior to this biopsy. Your doctors should have done the same for you. Sending you big hugs!

Debby

thanks
    Yes- I wish I had known about a nerve pill. Just something to take the edge off.

During the procedure I was holding very still, but they had a tech stand over me holding down my back and shoulder during the procedure. Like I said- pure torture. I just want to warn others.
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    jbryant said:

thanks
    Yes- I wish I had known about a nerve pill. Just something to take the edge off.

During the procedure I was holding very still, but they had a tech stand over me holding down my back and shoulder during the procedure. Like I said- pure torture. I just want to warn others.

Hi Jbryant ♥
    You should never have had to go thru that pain. That is not right. I am so sorry about it. I was also given an anxiety pill to take that morning and I was also numbed for the core biopsy. It is good that you warned others as everyone might not know to ask for the anxiety or nerve pill and the numbing agent. Good luck to you.

Love, Jeanne ♥</♥</font>
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Jeanne D said:

Hi Jbryant ♥
    You should never have had to go thru that pain. That is not right. I am so sorry about it. I was also given an anxiety pill to take that morning and I was also numbed for the core biopsy. It is good that you warned others as everyone might not know to ask for the anxiety or nerve pill and the numbing agent. Good luck to you.

Love, Jeanne ♥</♥</font>

YOU CAN MAKE A CHANGE!
    I did! The same thing happened to me with the Sentinal NOde biopsy and I complained to my surgeon who said the only one who can make a change is YOU... so I wrote to the Nuclear Medical dept, the Radiology Dept and the Onc Dept at the hospital and told them my horrendous story. I actually cried every time I thought about that torture for about a month after the surgery. They made a change and women are now getting numbed before the biopsy. I still don't think that is enough, and if I ever have to go through it again I will go to a hospital/doctor that will allow you to be put out before the procedure. The surgery was scheduled for 30 minutes later, so I don't see the big deal.

I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Know that you have "sisters" here who FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! I too had 4 kids naturally, so I can handle it, believe me.

God bless,
    Lorraine
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Mama G said:

YOU CAN MAKE A CHANGE!
    I did! The same thing happened to me with the Sentinal NOde biopsy and I complained to my surgeon who said the only one who can make a change is YOU... so I wrote to the Nuclear Medical dept, the Radiology Dept and the Onc Dept at the hospital and told them my horrendous story. I actually cried every time I thought about that torture for about a month after the surgery. They made a change and women are now getting numbed before the biopsy. I still don't think that is enough, and if I ever have to go through it again I will go to a hospital/doctor that will allow you to be put out before the procedure. The surgery was scheduled for 30 minutes later, so I don't see the big deal.

I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Know that you have "sisters" here who FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! I too had 4 kids naturally, so I can handle it, believe me.

God bless,
    Lorraine

Wow you guys!
    I was under general anesthetic for my 2nd biopsy (wide re-excision) and Sentinel Node Biopsy. I thought it would be IV sedation like the first biopsy but no and in fact I was given a "trunk block" in the event they would have had to do a lot of lymph nodes. I googled all of the biopsy procedures and insisted on an incisional biopsy. Mine all had to be done with a needle locatization because the lump was deep in the breast but I would not have the core biopsy after I read about it on the Mayo Clinic site that I Googled in. As soon as I found the lump I started taking an Ativan daily...that way I was able to sleep and get thru the day without having hysterics. I firmly believe in taking tranquilizers in times of great stress. Since the chemo finished in Dec. I haven't taken one..dn't need them now. But they got me thru a very dark, scary time.

Oh, the dye for the Sentinel Node Biopsy was done before the surgery and that dye really burns for about 10 seconds. My niece told me her Sentinal Node Biopsy was done in the doctors office and I still can't believe it...that's just barbaric! I just can't imagine how a local anesthetic would be bearable. That is a big deal. I only had one needle stick and it was just under the skin and was not in the nipple..I can't even imagine that!

We have to be proactive and educate ourselves about these tests before they happen and demand sedation..we go thru so much that we deserve to be as comfortable and pain free as possible when possible.

Good luck to you and Google is your friend for information about procedures etc. I prefer the info from the Mayo Clinic.

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Skeezie said:

Wow you guys!
    I was under general anesthetic for my 2nd biopsy (wide re-excision) and Sentinel Node Biopsy. I thought it would be IV sedation like the first biopsy but no and in fact I was given a "trunk block" in the event they would have had to do a lot of lymph nodes. I googled all of the biopsy procedures and insisted on an incisional biopsy. Mine all had to be done with a needle locatization because the lump was deep in the breast but I would not have the core biopsy after I read about it on the Mayo Clinic site that I Googled in. As soon as I found the lump I started taking an Ativan daily...that way I was able to sleep and get thru the day without having hysterics. I firmly believe in taking tranquilizers in times of great stress. Since the chemo finished in Dec. I haven't taken one..dn't need them now. But they got me thru a very dark, scary time.

Oh, the dye for the Sentinel Node Biopsy was done before the surgery and that dye really burns for about 10 seconds. My niece told me her Sentinal Node Biopsy was done in the doctors office and I still can't believe it...that's just barbaric! I just can't imagine how a local anesthetic would be bearable. That is a big deal. I only had one needle stick and it was just under the skin and was not in the nipple..I can't even imagine that!

We have to be proactive and educate ourselves about these tests before they happen and demand sedation..we go thru so much that we deserve to be as comfortable and pain free as possible when possible.

Good luck to you and Google is your friend for information about procedures etc. I prefer the info from the Mayo Clinic.

Hugs, Judy :-)

There is something else that
    There is something else that I don't know if everyone knows or not. When you get an MRI, if you it terrifies you, they can sedate you so that you don't care what they do to you. They asked me if I wanted it and I said no. They said they can also have a patient totally knocked out if they need that too. So, always ask, you are paying big bucks for all of this and you have the right to be comfortable and even knocked out if you need.

Sue :)
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Mama G said:

YOU CAN MAKE A CHANGE!

God bless,
    Lorraine

I had the sentinel node
    I had the sentinel node biopsy and yes it did HURT! BUT, the Radiologist was compationate and so was the tech helping him. I'll tell you what though, my first biopsy that found out that my cancer was IDC I was numbed and that really wasn't too bad. The biopsy they did on my left axillary hurt like crazy! they weren't cancer tumors, they were neurofibromas! Meaning turmors with nerves in them. OH man did that hurt when they went taking snipping samples!