Recurrence Very Rare for Initial Cancer 0 Stage DCIS

2»

Comments

• lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member

Good Idea To Post Where I Live - Another Question
    I live in Park Ridge, Illinois which is a northwest suburb directly adjacent to Chicago, Illinois. If any anyone reading this reply lives in my area and would like to get together just to talk, please contact me. Now, how do i have you contact me?

I am very sorry for your
    I am very sorry for your recurrance. I have a friend who is your age and a Nurse who lives in Schumburg,ill. I live in PA. Wishing you the best. I am taking Arimidex, I was told by my Drs I had to take it.
  • Barb A
    Barb A Member Posts: 123
    I'm sorry to hear of your recurrance. I had stage 0 calcifications in 2001, age 37. The calcifications were wide spread in my right breast. I had a mastectomy with tram flap reconstruction and took Tamoxifen for five years. In October 2007 I felt a large lump in the reconstructed breast and soon found out it was stage 3A, IDC. I had a mammogram six months earlier and it wasn't there. My onc said it was a very aggressive, fast growing tumor. No kidding! No node involvement either time. The second time I had a lumpectomy, chemo and rads. I'm now on Arimidex.

My surgeon and oncologist disagreed on whether this is a new cancer or a recurrance. They also disagreed on the stage. The surgeon told me it was stage 4, but I obtained my lab reports and through research and discussion with my onc, I go with stage 3A.

Even though I try not to dwell on another recurrance or mets, I still think of the probability often. Every ache or pain, that's what my first thought is. I do have some pain in my hip and thigh and a couple areas in my rib/back, but my onc attributes it to Arimidex and sciatica. I've asked for scans or tests to rule out mets, but he won't do them. Peace of mind doesn't count as a reason for asking insurance to pay for tests. It is scary though when I read of others discovering they have mets with the same symptoms. So, I try to ignore them and think positive. Other than joint pain (some days better than others), I have tolerated the Arimidex fairly well.

Aside from bc, I am fortunate that I have a wonderful husband, parents, family and friends. I have a good job and enjoy life. I try to focus on all of that and help others through volunteering or just being there for them.

I live in Portage, WI and work in Madison, so we're probably two hours away. If you want to contact me separately, please do.

Barb
  • marilyndbk
    marilyndbk Member Posts: 238 Member

Dear Marilyndbk
    Marilyn, oh my goodness. You had a recurrence with calcifications 8 years later. I guess they are calling it a new primary because it is 8 years later. I think it is much more difficult to be positive the second time around. You certainly are shocked - compare it to a slap in the face. In my case what was more surprising was the anger that was hidden inside of me. I think I was more shocked at my anger than I was at the cancer. The most important thing that you have to keep telling yourself is, "Positive thinking is healthier. Positive thinking is less damaging to the body and mind. Maintain your positiveness. You have to keep talking to yourself, keep telling yourself to stay positive. Call it a brain wasbhing." It is not easy to maintain your positiveness but I firmly believe it is the road to healing. Good luck to you.

Fondly,
    Janelle

Janelle. Thank you for the
    Janelle. Thank you for the kind words. You are so right. I have much to be thankful for. Not sure why I was chosen to have bc not once, but twice. I believe I have also been chosen to be a survivor. God has a good plan for our lives and we are stronger than we think. This board has been such an inspiration and source of info for me. Thank all you pink sisters. Marilyn