How do you work?

pdv
pdv Member Posts: 56
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Okay, just came from the surgeon and that makes two that said if it isn't cancer it would be a miracle. I go for my biopsy tomorrow and will find out on Tuesday the news. (Also I'll be praying hard for that miracle for me and all you on this forum.)

(Let me interject here that I don't want to call this cancer anymore because I have set my mind that it's a dragon that needs to be slain. It may come in breathing fire but I'm going to put that fire out and tame this beast!)

If I decide on a treatment of either radiation or chemo, how do I do that and work also? I know there has to be some of you that still had to work after getting this awful thing. Can you give me some advice on how you coped?

Pat

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Pat, first thing is to slow
    Pat, first thing is to slow down and breathe. Until you know your diagnosis it's difficult to play the "what if" game. I will say that we all agree that the waiting is the worst part of this. If you do have to have chemo, it is not what it used to be. Nowadays, you are given anti-nausea medication prior to the chemo drugs. People actually sit around getting their treatments eating their lunch. I'm not saying there are not some complications but there are medications for those, if needed. I had a lumpectomy and had my chemo on Thursday's every 3 weeks. I took the day of chemo off and the next day, Friday. I was always back to work on the following Monday. I also continued to exercise once I healed from the surgery. When I took my 33 radiation treatments, I had those at 10:20 every morning and would leave work and go get treated and then back to work. Whatever your treatments ends up being, just know it is all doable. We'll be here to answer any questions or just provide the support that you may need. Take care.

P.S. Still hoping for a miracle for YOU!!!!
  • rrogers34
    rrogers34 Member Posts: 135
    Doable
    I have had my 2nd chemo treatment which was Tuesday. My first one was January 8th. I had surgery (Lumpectomy) December 8th. I had my port put in on January 7th and had my first Chemo the Jan 8th. I went back to work on Jan 13th. The first three days were really hard and i only worked part-time. The next week I also did 1/2 days. The next two weeks I did fine. I had my second Chemo Tuesday and have worked full days. I am not sure when or if I will have "really Down" days. But the last time, the side effects hit 5 days later. I drink alot of water/gatorade, watch what I eat. Try to get on the treadmill (slow) to keep up my energy. I drink Boost. This week I am noticing that at the end of the work day, I just want to go home and lay down. It is doeable, just not alot of fun. Hang in there.

God Bless
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    rrogers34 said:

Doable
    I have had my 2nd chemo treatment which was Tuesday. My first one was January 8th. I had surgery (Lumpectomy) December 8th. I had my port put in on January 7th and had my first Chemo the Jan 8th. I went back to work on Jan 13th. The first three days were really hard and i only worked part-time. The next week I also did 1/2 days. The next two weeks I did fine. I had my second Chemo Tuesday and have worked full days. I am not sure when or if I will have "really Down" days. But the last time, the side effects hit 5 days later. I drink alot of water/gatorade, watch what I eat. Try to get on the treadmill (slow) to keep up my energy. I drink Boost. This week I am noticing that at the end of the work day, I just want to go home and lay down. It is doeable, just not alot of fun. Hang in there.

God Bless

I'm a teacher. Most of my
    I'm a teacher. Most of my chemo was in the summer so I was out of school, but I had to do my last two while working this Fall. I just took off a couple of days each treatment . I worked all through rads with no problems.It takes a job with people willing to accomodate your needs as they come up. I had great coworkers who were willing to help in any way they could.Most people want to help. They really do....so don't be afraid to ask.
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    dyaneb123 said:

I'm a teacher. Most of my
    I'm a teacher. Most of my chemo was in the summer so I was out of school, but I had to do my last two while working this Fall. I just took off a couple of days each treatment . I worked all through rads with no problems.It takes a job with people willing to accomodate your needs as they come up. I had great coworkers who were willing to help in any way they could.Most people want to help. They really do....so don't be afraid to ask.

I am also a teacher
    and agree with everything every above has said. Want to add that getting to work is the best thing you can do to get your mind off your battle and what you're battling. I'm so blessed to have a great group of kids who keep me active and feeling so ALIVE!
    Meanwhile, just pray for that miracle!!! I will be.
    Lorraine
  • TLynn0102
    TLynn0102 Member Posts: 86
    Mama G said:

I am also a teacher
    and agree with everything every above has said. Want to add that getting to work is the best thing you can do to get your mind off your battle and what you're battling. I'm so blessed to have a great group of kids who keep me active and feeling so ALIVE!
    Meanwhile, just pray for that miracle!!! I will be.
    Lorraine

Work and Treatment
    I need to agree with Lorraine here...first breath and relax, wait until the doctors call you with the information. Should you then have news you didn't want to hear and need to go through your plan consider this...a diversion from the present situation is worth a million in gold. I worked through chemo and 4 surgeries and found that work actually kept my mind off the cancer and treatments and gave me a sense of 'normal' until the next treatment session and then I would bounce back into it the next day or so. I will keep you in my prayers.