how does Dr. find out what your tumor markers number are? I know so little.....

czsteve
czsteve Member Posts: 11
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I know so little about my cancer even though I am at Stage 4. Maybe a bad oncologist? I don't know. I read here many times about tumor markers, ER/PR negative or positive. Do they get these numbers through blood work?

Thanks,
Peggy

Comments

• dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Wow Peggy. My Surgical Onc.
    Wow Peggy. My Surgical Onc. sat down and explained all my test results right away. He drew everything out on a big white board and explained all the estrogen positive/or negative results.What kind of surgery was recommended and why...etc.He even took a photo of the board so I could look at it later. My friend came with me to take notes, because she knew I would be too freaked out to remember anything. So if you havn't had this talk with your ONC, yes ....I'd say bad ONC! Call immediately and ask when he intends to discuss your test results with you.There are a couple of links on the ACS site that give you a list of questions you need to take with you.
    Dee
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    dyaneb123 said:

Wow Peggy. My Surgical Onc.
    Wow Peggy. My Surgical Onc. sat down and explained all my test results right away. He drew everything out on a big white board and explained all the estrogen positive/or negative results.What kind of surgery was recommended and why...etc.He even took a photo of the board so I could look at it later. My friend came with me to take notes, because she knew I would be too freaked out to remember anything. So if you havn't had this talk with your ONC, yes ....I'd say bad ONC! Call immediately and ask when he intends to discuss your test results with you.There are a couple of links on the ACS site that give you a list of questions you need to take with you.
    Dee

tumor markers
    tumor markers are most often checked through blood work.
  • helen e
    helen e Member Posts: 223
    Peggy
    I got my results after my biopsy so I thought the docs got the tests from the pathology report. Not sure.
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    You can ask
    You can ask for copies of all of your tests & results--you have a legal right to them. Then ask your doctor to explain everything. As mentioned, take a friend along to take notes and to help you ask questions. I took one of my professors along--she offered--and she took extensive notes and helped ask questions to get things clarified.

Ask what each number means, how it relates to your stage/grade, and how it relates to your treatment. Different kinds of cancer--which are determined by ER/PR status, HER2 status, etc.--require different treatments. Make him/her explain everything.

Also, you might want to get "Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book"--current edition--in which she explains what a lot of these things mean. That way you'll have a back-up reference to help you understand when you're not on the spot and under stress in the doctor's office.

If you aren't comfortable with the way he/she answers--or doesn't answer--you can find a different oncologist. You don't have to live through treatment with a doctor you don't like or who won't answer your questions.

Best of luck to you, Peggy!

Sandy
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member

You can ask
    You can ask for copies of all of your tests & results--you have a legal right to them. Then ask your doctor to explain everything. As mentioned, take a friend along to take notes and to help you ask questions. I took one of my professors along--she offered--and she took extensive notes and helped ask questions to get things clarified.

Ask what each number means, how it relates to your stage/grade, and how it relates to your treatment. Different kinds of cancer--which are determined by ER/PR status, HER2 status, etc.--require different treatments. Make him/her explain everything.

Also, you might want to get "Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book"--current edition--in which she explains what a lot of these things mean. That way you'll have a back-up reference to help you understand when you're not on the spot and under stress in the doctor's office.

If you aren't comfortable with the way he/she answers--or doesn't answer--you can find a different oncologist. You don't have to live through treatment with a doctor you don't like or who won't answer your questions.

Best of luck to you, Peggy!

Sandy

My surgeon gave me a packet
    My surgeon gave me a packet of information for me to read. She then gave me a copy of my biopsy reports and went through it line by line. The best booklet she gave me is called "Breast Cancer Treatment Guidelines for Patients" written by the American Cancer Society and National Comprehensive Cancer Network. It explains everything.

Hope this helps.
    Sher
  • sallyf
    sallyf Member Posts: 33
    Your Dr. owes it to you......
    to answer all your questions, to give you copies of your path.reports, where they come from and what they mean. It this point in your journey, I am talking about your surgeon. If your onc. is rushing you in and out, and not listening to your concerns, you might consider getting a 2nd opinion. That's a very acceptable thing to do in the medical community!

Please let us know what you find out, and we can help you even more : )

Sally