reconstruction concerns

ak_survivor
ak_survivor Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a double Mastectomy 11/14/08 and finished all treatment. I've have decided to start my reconstruction. I'm a good candidate for the DIEP flap but due to cost and travel I'm unable to have this operation. My question is, has anyone had just the Trans Flap for a double reconstruction? I'm really concerned because of the amount of muscle they will be using. I'm also concerned with implants because my body hasn't done well with other operations and scar tissue. Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• marilyndbk
    marilyndbk Member Posts: 238 Member
    Hi. Welcome to the board.
    Hi. Welcome to the board. I had a little different experience with bc. I had bilateral mastectomy with Lattisimus flap reconstruction in Sept 09. At the time of surgery, expanders were inserted and I am continuing to go in every 2 wks for "filling". I hope to have the exchange surgery soon for silicone implants. I am sure someone will be able to give you the information you are looking for your situation. This board has been a lifesaver for me and I get much info from it. Take care. Marilyn
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
    I had the DIEP flap so I

I had the DIEP flap so I don't know much about the Trans. I had my surgery recently on 1/5 and am still recovering however the results are pretty amazing. I did read about the Trans flap and the muscle that is used, some doctors don't actually recommend it for a double mastectomy because too much muscle is used and other doctors actually place a piece of mesh like gauze over the muscle to reinforce it. Apparently you don't have quite the strength in the stomach as before. As I said this is from what i have read and not my own experience.

I do have to admit though, with the DIEP flap, they do part the muscles to get underneath however 3 weeks later and my stomach muscles feel almost back to normal strength.

For me personally, I did not want implants, I just didn't want a foreign thing in my body and the Trans and DIEP I understood would give it a much more natural look and feel. I only had it on one breast and my other droppie one needs to be tucked and lifted a little to match but for you with both, the results will probably be great.
  • jdubious
    jdubious Member Posts: 113
    Seattle?
    Hi AK - are you in Alaska? I had a DIEP on 1/6 at the University of Washington in Seattle. It is really worth it if you can swing it. Since the UW is a teaching center, you can probably work out the finance part, if you can get there. The results are amazing. They also do a modified (free) TRAM (if they have to) where they only take a minimal amount of muscle and only if they can't find a good blood source without it.

You could ask about this procedure (free TRAM flap) they don't tunnel it and they only take a small amount of muscle.

j
  • ak_survivor
    ak_survivor Member Posts: 3
    jdubious said:

Seattle?
    Hi AK - are you in Alaska? I had a DIEP on 1/6 at the University of Washington in Seattle. It is really worth it if you can swing it. Since the UW is a teaching center, you can probably work out the finance part, if you can get there. The results are amazing. They also do a modified (free) TRAM (if they have to) where they only take a minimal amount of muscle and only if they can't find a good blood source without it.

You could ask about this procedure (free TRAM flap) they don't tunnel it and they only take a small amount of muscle.

j

thinking about implants
    I tried University of Washington sounded like a great place and everyone was really helpful. Just couldn't be away from family for 2 months and the cost would of been too much for my family. We have great doctors here in Alaska just very limited in what they offer. I have decided to look into implants on Monday, any feed back on them? I would still love to get the DIEP flap, but I really should just be happy to be able to make the choice. When so many women aren't so lucky!