Calling for am MRI

Options
Kat11
Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
They want me to have a MRI because of my leg pains that won't go away. I hate that machine, I would rather have surgery. I am already having an attack over this. I have only had one once for my shoulder and I said I would Never do that again. Help, how do I get through this.

Comments

• fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    Kat,
    I would call them and

Kat,
    I would call them and tell them that you need something for anxiety. And if you need something strong have someone drive you and pick you up. We all have things like this that freak up out. I can totally relate to your "I would rather have surgery" statement. I too have a "basic" procedure that I used to completely freak out over. I think we all have things that just are so overwhelming for us to do. This is yours. So ask for medication to help you through it. My prayers are that you get through this just fine and that they find what is causing the leg pains.
    Stef
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Kathi, I can only agree with
    Kathi, I can only agree with Steff, and especially encourage you to ask for something to help you with the anxiety. I get upset and anxious just being at the lab for completely non-cancer related things. So of course you are anxious about the MRI.

One thing we all have found after our cancer diagnosis is that any time we complain of pain, we get scheduled for major tests that would not have been suggested before we had a cancer history. The good thing is no doctor is taking any chances with our health. The bad thing is that we have to go through the anxiety, every time. It is just a fact of our lives now. You know, I actually enjoyed going to see my PCP a couple of weeks ago for sinusitis. I mean--wow, a completely ordinarily, everyday ailment. Didn't even call for any x-ray at all.

So, of course you are scared. Just keep in mind it is way too early for you to have any kind of cancer recurrence. You are not even through with rads. I will add extra prayers for you, your health and peace of mind. So much has been going on, I know. You will be in my thoughts, and I'll be with you in spirit as you get the MRI which will show NED.
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

Kathi, I can only agree with
    Kathi, I can only agree with Steff, and especially encourage you to ask for something to help you with the anxiety. I get upset and anxious just being at the lab for completely non-cancer related things. So of course you are anxious about the MRI.

One thing we all have found after our cancer diagnosis is that any time we complain of pain, we get scheduled for major tests that would not have been suggested before we had a cancer history. The good thing is no doctor is taking any chances with our health. The bad thing is that we have to go through the anxiety, every time. It is just a fact of our lives now. You know, I actually enjoyed going to see my PCP a couple of weeks ago for sinusitis. I mean--wow, a completely ordinarily, everyday ailment. Didn't even call for any x-ray at all.

So, of course you are scared. Just keep in mind it is way too early for you to have any kind of cancer recurrence. You are not even through with rads. I will add extra prayers for you, your health and peace of mind. So much has been going on, I know. You will be in my thoughts, and I'll be with you in spirit as you get the MRI which will show NED.

Kathi, I totally know how
    Kathi, I totally know how you feel. I was scheduled for an MRI early on in my diagnosis and was a basket case the day before. I finally called my dr and told her I couldn't have the MRI. She said no probem. There are other options and rescheduled me for a 3D ultrasound, which I've had twice. Maybe there is another option or an open MRI. I have asthma and knew I wouldn't be able to stay in the MRI machine very long. I would panic knowing I had no room to breathe. I'm starting to dread a stress test in a couple of weeks because the last time I had one I felt like I was dying. This is not the treadmill test but one where you're laying on a table and an iv drip is placed in your vein, chemically stressing your heart. Last time I almost didn't make it so now I'm stressed over the stress test. My dr. has assured me it will be okay because its what they use for asthma patients but I still dread it. Ask your dr if there is another option for you. Best wishes and let us know how it goes. My thoughts are with you.