new to all this

kms3566
kms3566 Member Posts: 57
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
i'm not really sure what to post...in the last 2 weeks i have had a mammogram, ultrasound, ultrasound core guided biopsy (results were positive)and yesterday an MRI and met with the radiation/oncologist. I have an appointment this afternoon with my surgeon to discuss MRI results and the surgery. The worst thing is I found the lump before Thanksgiving and thought maybe just hormones, etc, I'm 42 ( what nieve thinking huh). However by New Years lump still there and I wishing I'd have done something sooner.

I have read alot on this site in the last week and it has really helped me to keep a positive outlook, you are all amazing!

Comments

• pdv
    pdv Member Posts: 56
    I too am new
    I too am new to this forum and have only been in for two day but the dearth of information and compassion is fantastic. Information is the key to being able to face what we will face ahead and you will get it here. I am sorry you even had to come to these threads but you will find sisterhood and friendship. I hope the best for you.

Pat
  • marilyndbk
    marilyndbk Member Posts: 238 Member
    Hi and welcome to both of
    Hi and welcome to both of you to this invaluable site of pink sisters. You may be spinning with all the recent developments, procedures, emotions, decisions to make. Just know you are not alone. There are many people here that are on the same journey, maybe beginning, middle or end. You are doing the right thing in finding out all you can. I am 58, first dx in 2001, had lumpectomy and 37 rads. dx again in 2009. Had bilateral mastectomy with latissimus flap reconstruction in Sept 09. I still have the expanders in and hope to have the exchange surgery soon. This site has given me so much support and info. sometimes just knowing what I am feeling is somewhat normal. Hang in there and take good care of yourselves. Marilyn
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Welcome, kms. The worst
    Welcome, kms. The worst part of this whole situation is the waiting. By now you may have met with your surgeon so you'll have a better idea of your surgery. Once your treatment schedule has been determined, everything will seem to move along. The hardest part is waiting for all the tests and appointments required to determine the treatments for your particular type of bc. This is an amazing site full of knowledge, support, caring and love. Continue to post and we'll help get you through your journey. Take care.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Welcome, kms
    Reading your post brings me to tears, because I remember so, so well being right where you are just 8 months ago -- test after test, the unbearable waiting for results, so much incomprehensible new vocabulary, and all the decisions we have to make. I think I broke down crying in every doctor's office those first few weeks.

The most important thing to remember right now is just to take it one step at a time -- if you try to look down the entire road of treatment, you'll just paralyze yourself. And don't let ANYBODY rush you into any decisions -- take your time, take it slow, gather all the information and advice you feel you need, then make the decisions that are right for you.

In the meantime, we'll all be right here, cheering you on and up when you need it.

Traci
  • jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    pdv said:

I too am new
    I too am new to this forum and have only been in for two day but the dearth of information and compassion is fantastic. Information is the key to being able to face what we will face ahead and you will get it here. I am sorry you even had to come to these threads but you will find sisterhood and friendship. I hope the best for you.

Pat

Welcome to Both of you!
    Both of you are still early in the battle and in the 'shock' phase. TAke it one day at a time, find a notebook and take it with you to all your appointments. Jot down questions that come up in the same notebook, so you'll have them when you are talking to your surgeon/oncologist/whomever. Take someone with you to these appts...in the early phase, we are often so overwhelmed and scared you don't hear half of what is being said. Having someone with you will give you another set of ears, as well as a notetaker and someone you can just verify what you heard.

I'm 45, diagnosed Nov 12...lumpectomy. Just finished rads last week and started tamoxifen. There are lots of others that have walked a much harder road, so you'll find all the support you need here from sisters who've been there!

Blessings to both of you, no matter where the road takes you.
    Julie
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    TraciInLA said:

Welcome, kms
    Reading your post brings me to tears, because I remember so, so well being right where you are just 8 months ago -- test after test, the unbearable waiting for results, so much incomprehensible new vocabulary, and all the decisions we have to make. I think I broke down crying in every doctor's office those first few weeks.

The most important thing to remember right now is just to take it one step at a time -- if you try to look down the entire road of treatment, you'll just paralyze yourself. And don't let ANYBODY rush you into any decisions -- take your time, take it slow, gather all the information and advice you feel you need, then make the decisions that are right for you.

In the meantime, we'll all be right here, cheering you on and up when you need it.

Traci

Hi and welcome to the both
    Hi and welcome to the both of you. I don't think any of us will ever forget the beginning of our journey. The waiting is the worst and just when you think you have it all figured out something changes. Surgery, chemo, rads, drugs all doable. Scary, but doable. Somehow we get through it even when we think we have had enough. I will tell you what I was told right here on this site when I was scared like you. One day, one moment at a time. Cry when you need to, vent when you need to and come here to this wonderful site. We will always be here for you.
  • kms3566
    kms3566 Member Posts: 57
    TraciInLA said:

Welcome, kms

Traci

Well it has truly been a
    Well it has truly been a long week and it's only Wednesday! I am having a bilateral mastectomy on Friday. I'm still trying to get a grip on is this really happening, and hope I am making the right decision. I have been so anxious and just want to take steps to start to move forward. The dr said I can have reconstruction in about a year, which I am now wondering why so long? Any thoughts? I am also wondering how long I may need to be out of work, pain, will I need much help? I know they say everyone is different, but just wondering how others were. Any advice, words of wisdom or thoughts greatly appreciated.
  • misann
    misann Member Posts: 13
    kms3566 said:

Well it has truly been a
    Well it has truly been a long week and it's only Wednesday! I am having a bilateral mastectomy on Friday. I'm still trying to get a grip on is this really happening, and hope I am making the right decision. I have been so anxious and just want to take steps to start to move forward. The dr said I can have reconstruction in about a year, which I am now wondering why so long? Any thoughts? I am also wondering how long I may need to be out of work, pain, will I need much help? I know they say everyone is different, but just wondering how others were. Any advice, words of wisdom or thoughts greatly appreciated.

Good positive thoughts to you
    Good positive thoughts to you my dear. This does seem to happen all too soon and then it turns into a whirlwind from dx date on. Have faith in your doctors, come here for advice or like me to just read what everyone else has to say and you'll do fine. I'm just beginning my fight against this beast so I come here often and just read as well. Mastectomy was was an option for me but I chose lumpectomy. Only time will tell if I made the right choice. I'm sorry I can't help you with the reconstruction questions but during my surgery options while considering this I think it has to do with healing time. I healed very rapidly and I hope the same for you. I had a drain tube which frightened me but turned out to be not that bad. I was off work for three weeks. Good luck Friday and God Bless. Rest easy knowing you have many prayers coming your way!
    XOXOXOXOXO!!
    Missy