Old hand to cancer but new to this discussion board

suey13
suey13 Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi, all. I was diagnosed in May 2002, had bilateral mastectomies, then Tamoxifen. Local chest wall recurrence in 2007, had surgery, chemo, radiation, then arimidex. Just this week diagnosed with mets to bones (PET scan) and today I have a bone scan to see the extent of damage. I'm really scared but I've seen stories of women in my situation living for up to 17 years. Any such stories, to serve as encouragement that I won't be checking out right away, will be appreciated. Also, will I likely have to do chemo again?

Comments

• cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Suey
    So sorry to hear about your recurrence, but wanted to welcome you to this site.

Although my diagnosis is different from yours - I'm just in the middle of treatment now formy first (hopefully last) diagnosis - there are several others on this site that have similar stories to yours, and I'm glad to report that there are some of those with wonderful success stories to tell.

Hang in there, and check back as often as you can - we're all here for you.

Take care,
    Cindy
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Suey, welcome to this site.
    Suey, welcome to this site. I, too, am sorry to read that you are now fighting this beast for the 3rd time. This is the fear that we all live with. There are other women on this site that have mets to bones. I'm sure they will be along soon to share their stories. Please continue to post and know that we will be here for you every step of the way. Take care.
  • zahalene
    zahalene Member Posts: 670
    be encouraged...
    I lost my right breast to cancer in 1986....
    my left in 1988...a separate cancer, not a re-occurance...
    then in 1996 I was diagnosed with bone cancer in the right rib cage....the site of the first breast cancer. I was successfully treated for that with 5 years of oral medication.
    I am now 61 (I was 38 when first diagnosed), and in stable health, NED for 5 years. (No Evidence of Disease).
    I sincerely hope and pray the same (and even better) for you.
    God bless.
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    zahalene said:

be encouraged...
    then in 1996 I was diagnosed with bone cancer in the right rib cage....the site of the first breast cancer. I was successfully treated for that with 5 years of oral medication.
    I am now 61 (I was 38 when first diagnosed), and in stable health, NED for 5 years. (No Evidence of Disease).
    God bless.

ZAHALENE YOU GIVE US ALL HOPE!
    I'm so happy when I read these stories, as I end my chemo for the first time the fear of reoccurrence is becoming greater and greater. I guess that's normal. So knowing that people are treated and coming out the other side gives me HOPE!

God bless both of you and keep you safe in His loving arms.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Mama G said:

ZAHALENE YOU GIVE US ALL HOPE!
    I'm so happy when I read these stories, as I end my chemo for the first time the fear of reoccurrence is becoming greater and greater. I guess that's normal. So knowing that people are treated and coming out the other side gives me HOPE!

God bless both of you and keep you safe in His loving arms.

Sending you good luck and
    Sending you good luck and prayers Suey!
  • suey13
    suey13 Member Posts: 4
    zahalene said:

be encouraged...
    God bless.

Thanks for your words of encouragement
    Thank you so much for your story. I have a 12 year old daughter and am hoping to be able to see her graduate from high school, from college would be even better. I haven't wanted to get my hopes up if they are not realistic, but your story does give me hope. Thanks for sharing and here's hoping we are both able to enjoy many more years.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    You won't be checking out soon....
    Suey, I'm sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. You've been through so much and it's understandble that you would feel frightened. As you can see there are several women here who have been in your situation and are still around and kicking many years later. Bone mets can be stablized and treated to great effect. You have every reason to be hopeful. I wish you all the best.

Mimi
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    mimivac said:

You won't be checking out soon....
    Suey, I'm sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. You've been through so much and it's understandble that you would feel frightened. As you can see there are several women here who have been in your situation and are still around and kicking many years later. Bone mets can be stablized and treated to great effect. You have every reason to be hopeful. I wish you all the best.

Mimi

I am so sorry to read of
    I am so sorry to read of your recurrence. You can fight the beast again and we will support and encourage you every step of the way!
  • LC815
    LC815 Member Posts: 155
    If you responded well to
    If you responded well to Tamoxifen, your onc might just put you on Arimidex for awhile. They might also recommend an oopherectomy if you haven't started menopause yet. The ovaries account for 90% of your estrogen production. If you're ER+, that can starve mets quite nicely. Also, if you do well with hormonals, there are a lot of them to use. There's also medication for bone strengthening. I have mets to liver and rectum (lovely, huh?) and I hope to be around for a long time. Arimidex didn't work for me, so now I'm in a clinical trial of Taxol/Avastin. I'm bald, but it's not so bad. I'm hoping my next scan is GREAT!