I tryed coloring my whole two inches of hair.Help.

ppurdin
ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I seen on these boards and knew to be careful what I used on my hair.no harsh chemicals and such.I went to a beauty supply store and bought some.I got the one that did not have peroxide or amonia in it.I dyed it the first time and it did not do anything.Still had gray very gray hair.So I tryed again and to my surprise it is the ugliest light yellow .Now I found out their is worst things then gray hair Ha.Has anyone eles had this problem/And what did you do.Thanks. Pat.

Comments

• roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    My hairdresser said...
    My hairdresser said we should not have our hair colored until 6 months after treatment. She was told that coloring hair before that could cause irritation of the hair folicle. She never said the hair would get a wierd color. I would suggest you see a professional.

Good luck.

Roseann
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    i too was told to wait at
    i too was told to wait at least 6 months. I just colored my few inches for the first time. The grays covered but the color was way different than what it was suppose to be. I would recommend seeing a professional to have it corrected.
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    That Is Terrible
    I was told the same thing. Do not color my hair for 6 months. I never dreamed it would turn different colors. Go to a good hair dresser.

P
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    e_hope said:

i too was told to wait at
    i too was told to wait at least 6 months. I just colored my few inches for the first time. The grays covered but the color was way different than what it was suppose to be. I would recommend seeing a professional to have it corrected.

Pat wait
    I know you want to be pretty as soon as possible. I shaved twice to cut all of whites. Then colored on the front about 5-6 months after I finished Chemo. My friend did not shave her hair. She went to the hair stylist coloring her hair. They were not able to color her hair at all. they tried two different combinations. Second time were got light grey. She spent 4 hours there. Just wait and you will be fine again.
    New Flower
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Pat, I don't know what to
    Pat, I don't know what to suggest. I am always surprised that we are all given different information from our oncologists. I just had my first appointment with mine last week and I specifically asked if I could color my hair. She said "yes". I haven't yet because I don't believe I have enough hair. Sounds like it's a good thing. Good luck Pat on getting a more "natural" color. Let us know what you do.

I do have one questions, six months from when??? Six months from finishing chemo or radiation? Just curious. Thanks.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Talk to your DR AND - -
    See a professional cosmetologist who is experienced with post chemo/rads hair. You should be able to get some names from your local ACS. White/grey hair is pain to get true color on anyway but especially for a do-it-yourself-er.
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Rague said:

Talk to your DR AND - -
    See a professional cosmetologist who is experienced with post chemo/rads hair. You should be able to get some names from your local ACS. White/grey hair is pain to get true color on anyway but especially for a do-it-yourself-er.

wow I'm glad I read this
    I was just thinking of what color to use on my very short locks, It has been about 6 months being done with chemo, but i was wondering what to do with it, it's as soft as a baby's but mostly grey and white. Maybe i will let it grow a little while longer..LOL..at least its HAIR!!
    hugs, jackie
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Hair
    Bahahahaha! Sorry. Thought about doing mine, but will wait to see how your's turns out. yes, Ima chicken, not proud of that fact. Really am sorry, but really was just talking about doing it today. Good luck with correcting it. (((smiles)))
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    Thanks for your replys.
    My Dr. had told me it was fine to dye my hair.I had a beatician look at my hair 2wks. ago and she said she would dye it in 2 wks.Which would be about when I dyed it.I am going to leave it alone for about 8wks. and let someone do it for me at a hair salon.I have heard alott of different opinions on this subgect.When I put the dye on I Prayed that it did not make my hair fall out again.I never thought of it comming out a different color.I read somewhere that the Chemo is still in our hair for 6 months.I will just wear my lttle hats or my wig awhile longer.I just need to be more patient I guess.The gray speckled hair looked better then the yellow,ha. Pat.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    ppurdin said:

Thanks for your replys.
    My Dr. had told me it was fine to dye my hair.I had a beatician look at my hair 2wks. ago and she said she would dye it in 2 wks.Which would be about when I dyed it.I am going to leave it alone for about 8wks. and let someone do it for me at a hair salon.I have heard alott of different opinions on this subgect.When I put the dye on I Prayed that it did not make my hair fall out again.I never thought of it comming out a different color.I read somewhere that the Chemo is still in our hair for 6 months.I will just wear my lttle hats or my wig awhile longer.I just need to be more patient I guess.The gray speckled hair looked better then the yellow,ha. Pat.

I had always heard to wait
    I had always heard to wait at least 6 months too after chemo before you color your hair. You might go to a pro and see if they can maybe even turn it back gray a little sooner. Good luck Pat!

KYLEZ ♥
  • xskeetshooter
    xskeetshooter Member Posts: 169
    there is always a reason WHY the docs tell you things
    there is no pigment to your hair yet. the chemo takes it. so that is why they say i was told a year.the colour wont stick
  • MyTurnNow

there is always a reason WHY the docs tell you things
    there is no pigment to your hair yet. the chemo takes it. so that is why they say i was told a year.the colour wont stick

I don't understand why they don't ALL say the same thing????
    My oncologist told me just last week that I could color my hair and I just finished chemo on 10/15. Doesn't make sense to me!!
  • xskeetshooter
    xskeetshooter Member Posts: 169
    MyTurnNow said:

I don't understand why they don't ALL say the same thing????
    My oncologist told me just last week that I could color my hair and I just finished chemo on 10/15. Doesn't make sense to me!!

doc
    it seems your doc is the ONLY 1 saying you can lmao
  • MyTurnNow

doc
    it seems your doc is the ONLY 1 saying you can lmao

If you read the complete
    If you read the complete post, you will read that Pat's doctor also told her it was fine to color her hair. Based on the results she had it doesn't seem like the thing to do though.
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

If you read the complete
    If you read the complete post, you will read that Pat's doctor also told her it was fine to color her hair. Based on the results she had it doesn't seem like the thing to do though.

This suggestion is not going
    This suggestion is not going to help Pat but for those considering coloring your hair yourself after chemo, do a test spot. Most of the home products say to do this but I know that when I used to color my own hair I never did, but in this case I think it is the best thing you can do. Better to have one little problem than a big one. And grey, silver and white hair is hard to color yourself. That's why I now go to a stylist. I could not get good coverage. And again, Pat, sorry you are mellow yellow, but soon you will be showing your true colors. LOL
    Stef