Army of Women

MyTurnNow
MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I replied to a post regarding being finished with treatments but didn't want this information to get lost, or not get out to the majority of you, so I'm cutting some of my reply from that post and pasting it here.

Several months ago I joined an organization called Army of Women. It is a partnership between the Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation and the Avon Foundation for Women. Their goal is to search for the cause for breast cancer. They have studies that are participated in by members of the Army of Women. I have recently signed up for their Pathways to Recovery After Breast Cancer Study. I am awaiting information being mailed to me. One of their slogans is "It's time for an Army of Women to end breast cancer". I wholeheartedly agree!! Perhaps there are more of you out there that would be interested in joining this group. I believe if we equip ourselves with as much information as possible, it may assist in our recovery.

I really believe that this group may make a difference. Anyone can join, you don't have to be a breast cancer patient. I think those of us that have read Dr. Susan Love's book on breast cancer have a lot of respect for her and to think that she is a partner in this organization, I feel speaks volumes about it. I also believe that with enough research perhaps the end to breast cancer will occur in our lifetimes. We can only HOPE.

Comments

• Dot53
    Dot53 Member Posts: 239 Member
    Hi
    I joined the Army of Love over a year ago to participate in their Sister Study. Less than a year later I was diagnosed with BC...
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Thanks!
    I just joined and am going to also send this to some other women.

I believe that research has come a long way in making the treatments more effective and more tolerable and that it is the best tool we have to eradicate this once and for all!

Your army buddy & sister,
    Cindy
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    I too have joined this
    I too have joined this research group. Thought the info was very helpful and could totally relate to the woman in the video's.. I think you will be pleasantly happy with the program information
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    MTN
    I quickly read your post earlier today about the Army of Women and thought it sounded like an awesome idea. I then went to my Cancer Center to have a PetScan done and low and behold there was a magnet with The Power of 15 risk prevention tips on it and #15 is "Join the Army of Women!" I took this as a "sign"! :-) Can't wait to get more info on it & join. Thank you so much for posting this! I have been thinking about what I could do to really make a difference, and this just may be the place to start.
    ♥ Cathy
  • crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
    "Cure" or "Cause"?
    When I was going through treatment I used to say, "I would rather see research on the Cause, not so much on the Cure.’Curing' cancer means the big pharmaceutical companies can continue to make trillions of dollars off women with cancer. Finding the Cause would cut them out of the picture!" Where I couldn't whole-heartedly support walks and runs 'for the cure', I was ecstatic when I found the Army of Women. There isn't a lot of call for women with only DCIS, but I am part of one of their studies.

Please tell all your friends about it, not just those with breast cancer. There are studies looking for women who have NOT been dx-ed with it. There are studies looking for nursing women. Women of color are especially needed!
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    I'm in the Pathways to Recovery study, too!
    Thank you so much, MyTurn, for getting the word out about this.

I joined the Army of Women about 6 months ago, and tried very hard to get all my female friends to sign up. It's such a small commitment -- you get only 1 or 2 emails a month, and they make it very easy for you. But I was only successful in getting 2 women to sign up -- a co-worker and the minister of my church. It's frustrating to me that no one else I knew could be bothered.

MyTurn makes a very good point that the Army also needs women who have *not* had breast cancer -- they need to not only research why we got breast cancer, but also why other women *don't*.

I also signed up for the Pathways to Recovery study last week -- it required a 20-minute phone call (at my convenience) to the National Cancer Institute, they're going to mail me information designed to help breast cancer survivors with our recovery, and then call me a couple of times over the next 6 months to ask me how I'm doing. So easy!

Traci