Can you feel it spread?

A1pena
A1pena Member Posts: 92
Hi There,

My mom was diagnosed with serous carcinoma. We dont know if its of the ovaries or the uterus yet. She goes into surgery in two weeks so we dont know the stage yet either. I was just wondering if you can feel it spread? So far she says that she feels totally normal- are there any warning signs to look out for?

Kind Regards,

Amanda

Comments

• lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    I couldn't; not at all.
    I went on a 9-day hiking trip in Utah while I awaited my initial D&C pathology, and felt WONDERFUL; and came back to surgery that resulted in a Stage III-c UOSC diagnosis. Honestly, I never had a symptom BEFORE my diagnosis, and I would NEVER have guessed where/when my cancer recurred. If I would have had to guess where my cancer was returning, I would have guess somewhere under my rib cage since I am often uncomfortable there, or in the front of my pelvis because I sometimes get swelling there. As it turns out, the discomfort under my ribs is from the death of fast-growing non-cancerous cells in my digestive track. And the dwelling in the front of my pelvis is displaced fluid related to a compromised lymph system from the 25 nodes I had removed for pathology and trhe 28 rounds of pelvic IMRT radiation I had. But where the CANCER was found in the PET scan: no symptoms!!

So I'd say 'no'. It would have to be already pretty big to be pressing on something enough to be felt. That's my experience anyway. Any time I FELT scary twinges or anything, it was always a side affect of treatment and never advancement of the disease.
  • kansasgal
    kansasgal Member Posts: 122 Member
    Symptoms
    I was diagnosed post-hysterectomy with two kinds of uterine cancer, both UPSC (stage 1A) and endometrial adenocarcinoma (stage 1B). A few weeks prior to my annual exam I noticed a small creamy beige vaginal discharge (1 drop/week). Not very exciting, but different from NO discharge of any kind. At my annual exam when my PCP asked if we should skip that year's PAP because I had NEVER had an abnormal one and had NEVER experienced ANY KIND OF GYNECOLOGICAL DISCOMFORT, I told her about the slight discharge and requested that she perform the most thorough PAP possible! Both the PAP and the subsequent D&C noted the endometrial adenocarcinoma cells, as did the post-hysterectomy pathology report, but the UPSC was not discovered until a month following my hysterectomy when my hysterectomy slides underwent a quality review. At no time prior to my surgery did I experience any discomfort or notice any type of swelling as a result of the two types of cancer growing in my uterus. I felt great!
  • pjba11
    pjba11 Member Posts: 188
    kansasgal said:

Symptoms
    I was diagnosed post-hysterectomy with two kinds of uterine cancer, both UPSC (stage 1A) and endometrial adenocarcinoma (stage 1B). A few weeks prior to my annual exam I noticed a small creamy beige vaginal discharge (1 drop/week). Not very exciting, but different from NO discharge of any kind. At my annual exam when my PCP asked if we should skip that year's PAP because I had NEVER had an abnormal one and had NEVER experienced ANY KIND OF GYNECOLOGICAL DISCOMFORT, I told her about the slight discharge and requested that she perform the most thorough PAP possible! Both the PAP and the subsequent D&C noted the endometrial adenocarcinoma cells, as did the post-hysterectomy pathology report, but the UPSC was not discovered until a month following my hysterectomy when my hysterectomy slides underwent a quality review. At no time prior to my surgery did I experience any discomfort or notice any type of swelling as a result of the two types of cancer growing in my uterus. I felt great!

Amazing..........
    Once again 'extra moisture' may have been a symptom that saved your life? Through out this board we have talked about that. Has anyone ever seen that printed as a symptom for any kind of female cancer? Is this something that we need to bring to the table at the uterine cancer advocate meeting? Maybe it is already on the list for symptoms, but I have not seen it. Thanks for any input!!
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • A1pena

I couldn't; not at all.
    I went on a 9-day hiking trip in Utah while I awaited my initial D&C pathology, and felt WONDERFUL; and came back to surgery that resulted in a Stage III-c UOSC diagnosis. Honestly, I never had a symptom BEFORE my diagnosis, and I would NEVER have guessed where/when my cancer recurred. If I would have had to guess where my cancer was returning, I would have guess somewhere under my rib cage since I am often uncomfortable there, or in the front of my pelvis because I sometimes get swelling there. As it turns out, the discomfort under my ribs is from the death of fast-growing non-cancerous cells in my digestive track. And the dwelling in the front of my pelvis is displaced fluid related to a compromised lymph system from the 25 nodes I had removed for pathology and trhe 28 rounds of pelvic IMRT radiation I had. But where the CANCER was found in the PET scan: no symptoms!!

So I'd say 'no'. It would have to be already pretty big to be pressing on something enough to be felt. That's my experience anyway. Any time I FELT scary twinges or anything, it was always a side affect of treatment and never advancement of the disease.

Thank you!
    Thank you for your notes. I was hoping for a different response but I guess we'll just have to wait and see if it has spread when we get the results back from her multitude of tests :(

Kind Regards,

Amanda
  • pjba11
    pjba11 Member Posts: 188
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

advocate
    If you scroll on the messages to about the 12th of Jan you will find the discussion. Hope this helps!
  • TiggersDoBounce
    TiggersDoBounce Member Posts: 408
    Amanda
    Amanda,

I guess everyone is different. I had menstrual like pain for 4 months prior to my D & C.

The pain started mild and by month 4 was God awful....but only lasted for about 1-2 hrs a
    day. But I had it every day...

My D & C showed a Polyp...which upon Pathology examination, proved the Cancer.

It is scary how our bodies can sometimes betray us...as in so many women on this board not having any symptoms...

Best of luck for your Mom...

Laurie
  • A1pena

Amanda
    Amanda,

I guess everyone is different. I had menstrual like pain for 4 months prior to my D & C.

The pain started mild and by month 4 was God awful....but only lasted for about 1-2 hrs a
    day. But I had it every day...

My D & C showed a Polyp...which upon Pathology examination, proved the Cancer.

It is scary how our bodies can sometimes betray us...as in so many women on this board not having any symptoms...

Best of luck for your Mom...

Laurie

Da Vinci Robot
    Hi Laurie,

Thank you for your note! I read your profile and noticed you had your surgery via the da vinci robot. My mom's surgeon said she was a good candidate for it and is pushing to use it on her. Can you tell me what it was like? How long was your recovery time? How long were you in the hospital for? sorry if i seem like i am prying, i am just hoping to get a sense of what to expect for my mom.

Kind Regards,

Amanda
  • Ro10
    Ro10 Member Posts: 1,561 Member
    A1pena said:

Da Vinci Robot
    Hi Laurie,

Thank you for your note! I read your profile and noticed you had your surgery via the da vinci robot. My mom's surgeon said she was a good candidate for it and is pushing to use it on her. Can you tell me what it was like? How long was your recovery time? How long were you in the hospital for? sorry if i seem like i am prying, i am just hoping to get a sense of what to expect for my mom.

Kind Regards,

Amanda

Amanda I hope your Mom's surgery goes well
    I too was a candidate for the DaVinci Robotic surgery. The surgery was 6 hours long by the time the staging was done. They took out 25 lymph nodes in addition to the hysterectomy, taking out tubes and ovaries, and biopsy of the omentum. I was only in the hospital overnight. The recovery period was very quick. My biggest problem was the bloating after the surgery. It took weeks for that to get better. There was minimal pain after the surgery. I was able to resume my walking a little more each day. My stage was III-C UPSC so I started chemo 3 weeks after my surgery. I was 60 when I had the surgery. I had no symptoms but had an irregular PAP test and then an endometrial biopsy which both showed "highly suggestive of endometrial adenocarcinoma ".

I hope the surgery goes well for your Mother. Take care of yourself, too. In peace and caring.
  • Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Now that I look back, here
    Now that I look back, here are some of my symptoms that I believe played a part of it. Prior to my surgery in 2005, during the previous years, I would "burb" a lot. Basically everyday, especially after eating. Sometimes, I would have trouble swallowing (like dry mouth). But early on, I had discomfort with intercourse (which I never brought up to my doctor). Then I started having problems like IBS (which is what made me seek a doctor). It was through the last two items that I was persistent in finding out what was wrong. I also had a thought that something was wrong although most days I felt fine.

I went to my GP and he said I was find. I was having anxiety. He prescribed a colonoscopy. That was good. I still wasn't convinced so I went to my gyne. He told me that "you know you have endometriosis". I guess that was from having three C-Sections. Anyway, he decided to do an internal ultrasound. That came back good. and a laparoscopy. It was around this time that the severe pain started. The laparascopy showed severe endometriosis (but no cancer). Therefore I was ordered a total hysterectomy. I had asked about a scan. But was told that wouldn't show anything. I was put on Lupron for six months to help soften the lesions for surgery.

I finally had my total hysterectomy. It wasn't until then and my ultimate staging surgery that it was determined that I had Grade 2 Stage 3a endometrial cancer. It was in the uteris and part of my left ovary (which didn't show on ultrasound)

Oh. Another thing I found out was that I was hungry but as soon as I started to eat I felt full. Also if you get bloating higher up towards your chest.

I was treated in 2005 and since then I have had no burping, no anxiety, no IBS problems like before.

Like on other threads here, I believe intuition is a big part of it. Recently, I have been experiencing a pain which required me to take a tylenol or two. I have told the doctors about it at my appointments for the past year saying it feels like a hemmroid. I do have a lot of scarring. I have recently had two CT scans, two PET scans and an MRI which all indicate that it is inflammation or scarring (or below the range to indicate cancer). However, I had the area biopsyied and it came back positive for endo cancer.

So bottom line, always stay positive, trust in your own intuition. Never be afraid or embarrassed to discuss things with your doctor which you feel might be a problem or important.
    Hugs to you and your mom.
  • TiggersDoBounce
    TiggersDoBounce Member Posts: 408
    A1pena said:

Da Vinci Robot
    Hi Laurie,

Kind Regards,

Amanda

DaVinci Robot
    Amanda,

You are not prying...

The surgery went well...around 6 hrs. I had 5 punctures to the abdomen to heal from vs.
    a bigger abdominal cut. I was in the hospital 2 days vs. overnight due to my need to have
    a PET scan...also my surgery was scheduled earlier in the day but got pushed back to later due to the first patient running late.

Walking was difficult for a few days...however like Ro said it got better each day.

I was back to work in 2 weeks...I am hoping if your Mom can get it done this way to go for it!

Any other questions, please let me know. I agree with Ro that my bladder was weird for about a month...

Laurie
  • bonnyboop
    bonnyboop Member Posts: 9
    pjba11 said:

Amazing..........
    Once again 'extra moisture' may have been a symptom that saved your life? Through out this board we have talked about that. Has anyone ever seen that printed as a symptom for any kind of female cancer? Is this something that we need to bring to the table at the uterine cancer advocate meeting? Maybe it is already on the list for symptoms, but I have not seen it. Thanks for any input!!

symptoms
    I too had a vaginal discharge, was like egg whites....and my gp felt it was a part of menopause,....this happens when you ovulate... well, I had it EVERY day....then the cramping started, every day, all day....mild to excruciating, and the bleeding, to the point of clotts and was put on progeterone. Had 2 paps, both normal. At that time I was refered to gyn/ob, who did a swab of my uterise and found cancer.....stage 2b adenocarcinoma....it was 5 months of symptoms before a diagnosis, underwent a complete hysterectomy nov '08, radiation/chemo jan-june 09.....am feeling great now, but still tired and very stiff muscles and joints....all women should have a standard swab of uterise as well as a pap as part of their check up...I know my daughter will now, just because of me, and when the time comes, my wee grand-daughter too.....perhaps a god-send that I did have symptoms...if I hadn't....this letter would never be written.....good health to all of you ladies....good luck to your mom Amanda....
  • Caradavin
    Caradavin Member Posts: 49 Member
    Kaleena said:

Now that I look back, here
    Now that I look back, here are some of my symptoms that I believe played a part of it. Prior to my surgery in 2005, during the previous years, I would "burb" a lot. Basically everyday, especially after eating. Sometimes, I would have trouble swallowing (like dry mouth). But early on, I had discomfort with intercourse (which I never brought up to my doctor). Then I started having problems like IBS (which is what made me seek a doctor). It was through the last two items that I was persistent in finding out what was wrong. I also had a thought that something was wrong although most days I felt fine.

I went to my GP and he said I was find. I was having anxiety. He prescribed a colonoscopy. That was good. I still wasn't convinced so I went to my gyne. He told me that "you know you have endometriosis". I guess that was from having three C-Sections. Anyway, he decided to do an internal ultrasound. That came back good. and a laparoscopy. It was around this time that the severe pain started. The laparascopy showed severe endometriosis (but no cancer). Therefore I was ordered a total hysterectomy. I had asked about a scan. But was told that wouldn't show anything. I was put on Lupron for six months to help soften the lesions for surgery.

I finally had my total hysterectomy. It wasn't until then and my ultimate staging surgery that it was determined that I had Grade 2 Stage 3a endometrial cancer. It was in the uteris and part of my left ovary (which didn't show on ultrasound)

Oh. Another thing I found out was that I was hungry but as soon as I started to eat I felt full. Also if you get bloating higher up towards your chest.

I was treated in 2005 and since then I have had no burping, no anxiety, no IBS problems like before.

Like on other threads here, I believe intuition is a big part of it. Recently, I have been experiencing a pain which required me to take a tylenol or two. I have told the doctors about it at my appointments for the past year saying it feels like a hemmroid. I do have a lot of scarring. I have recently had two CT scans, two PET scans and an MRI which all indicate that it is inflammation or scarring (or below the range to indicate cancer). However, I had the area biopsyied and it came back positive for endo cancer.

So bottom line, always stay positive, trust in your own intuition. Never be afraid or embarrassed to discuss things with your doctor which you feel might be a problem or important.
    Hugs to you and your mom.

My symptoms were
    My symptoms were excruciating. I was in the ER every week with intense cramps and bleeding. I lost a baby one month before the diagnosis, and then went through what felt like my miscarriage every day for a month after that. It was emotionally and physically exhausting and traumatic for me. My mom is a nurse and an obgyn she knows came to see me. Scans showed nothing wrong with me, but the biopsy told a different story. Before the miscarriage, each period was getting more and more painful and the bleeding more intense as well.
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    Caradavin said:

My symptoms were
    My symptoms were excruciating. I was in the ER every week with intense cramps and bleeding. I lost a baby one month before the diagnosis, and then went through what felt like my miscarriage every day for a month after that. It was emotionally and physically exhausting and traumatic for me. My mom is a nurse and an obgyn she knows came to see me. Scans showed nothing wrong with me, but the biopsy told a different story. Before the miscarriage, each period was getting more and more painful and the bleeding more intense as well.

It definitely depands on the type of uterine cancer you have.
    The very rare UPSC type of uterine cancer mimics ovarian cancer in that it rarely exhibits any symptoms until it is in late stages, and the symptoms are so mild and only 'whisper' that something may be wrong.
  • kkstef
    kkstef Member Posts: 688 Member
    Caradavin said:

My symptoms were

Uterine Cancer is silent...
    I don't think it matters what type of uterine cancer you have, it is typically "silent". I had Stage 3A adenocarcinoma of the uterus and really had NO symptoms....Annual pap smears were negative. I had some L sided pain that showed NOTHING in spite of an intravaginal ultrasound and a CT. A few months later I had just a small amount of pinkish vaginal drainage.... My dr. did a D&C and that led to my diagnosis...I was referred to a GYN oncologist and after surgery he told me that I had had cancer for at least 2 years based on the fact it had invaded the vascular space of the uterus and eroded through the uterus... SO.... overall, this is a very SILENT cancer, essentially.

Karen
  • Caradavin
    Caradavin Member Posts: 49 Member
    kkstef said:

Uterine Cancer is silent...
    I don't think it matters what type of uterine cancer you have, it is typically "silent". I had Stage 3A adenocarcinoma of the uterus and really had NO symptoms....Annual pap smears were negative. I had some L sided pain that showed NOTHING in spite of an intravaginal ultrasound and a CT. A few months later I had just a small amount of pinkish vaginal drainage.... My dr. did a D&C and that led to my diagnosis...I was referred to a GYN oncologist and after surgery he told me that I had had cancer for at least 2 years based on the fact it had invaded the vascular space of the uterus and eroded through the uterus... SO.... overall, this is a very SILENT cancer, essentially.

Karen

That is true because I had
    That is true because I had no symptoms at all until last year and was told by the doctor that it had been growing for at least ten years. So it was definitely silent for quite some time. I should have mentioned that first.