stage iv breast cancer: life options/insurance/financial

deanerick
deanerick Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
my wife just complete right breast cancer last year, diagnosed 2008. left breast diag new in dec 2009, stage iv due to nodes/thorax enlargement - no other organs, but bone scan not positive or neg. yet. we live in houston, and luckily, maybe, she is at md anderson. note: md did not find the new cancer, she started feeling pain during period last month....

she is still working, mostly for insurance purposes, but would like to consider options. i have seen ssi long term disabilty is a option with cobra. cobra would be high $1000+ per month. would private insurance be same? i saw a news report for a guy, forget cancer type, who found private insur. for $800 a month. another guy with stage iv was paying $1300 for cobra.

her cancer is stage iv and aggressive. dr. has been vague and we have not pressed, news too new. she only said 10% make it. never said for how long, but many stage iv live 3+ years if not more, no?

so basically looking for options, advice on insurance, ssi-long term disability.

thanks

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Welcome
    sorry for your wife situation.
    If your wife has long term disability from work it is a way to go from my point of view. You need to ask Human Resources to explain Short term disability and Long term disability options. They could also tell you how much you have to pay for COBRA. Due to Stimulus package unemployed workers suppose to pay30% of what the amount of COBRA payment used to be. Human Resources should give you exact number for your wife's COBRA. At the same time you can and I think should file for SSDI Social Security Disability Insurance. The process ca take up to 6 months. Ask your oncologist office and hospital to help with paperwork. Clinical social worker could be helpful navigate you through bureaucracy.
    She is in good hands and hopefully she will be ok. We have members with similar stage and they are doing well. Let us know what route you decide to do.If she need emotional support tell her to come here and chat with us.

I was diagnosed with Stage IIIC in 2008 and was on Short Term Disability and on Long Term disability now. I keep the same insurance from my employer, my COBRA portion is $150.
    Good Luck
    New Flower
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I live in Texas also and the
    I live in Texas also and the state has a high risk pool. The monthly rates depend on which plan you choose. Here is the link if you want to check it out. http://www.txhealthpool.org/

It's not cheap but they do give you policies if you have cancer. I was denied private insurance.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Marcia527 said:

I live in Texas also and the
    I live in Texas also and the state has a high risk pool. The monthly rates depend on which plan you choose. Here is the link if you want to check it out. http://www.txhealthpool.org/

It's not cheap but they do give you policies if you have cancer. I was denied private insurance.

Luckily, hubby and I took
    Luckily, hubby and I took out life insurance years ago. I wish you good luck in finding some coverage. Contact the American Cancer Society. They might have some ideas.

Sue :)
  • pinkflutterby
    pinkflutterby Member Posts: 615 Member
    I also live in Texas :)
    I

I am also stage IV :(

I had no insurance when diagnosed and the cancer center where I go, The Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders, set me up with the medicade nurse for BCCCP and I was accepted. Its a special part of medicade for breast cancer cervical cancer prevention - so it only covers my cancer treatment. I am single and have my 2 daughters and 2 granddaughters living with me -- but its worth a try. I have paid nothing out of pocket so far and I was diagnosed on March 17, 2009.

I have read and there are people on here who are 10 yr survivors living with stage IV -- so thats my plan and Im sure ya'lls plan for your wife!!!!

Libby
  • deanerick
    deanerick Member Posts: 7

I

I am also stage IV :(

I had no insurance when diagnosed and the cancer center where I go, The Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders, set me up with the medicade nurse for BCCCP and I was accepted. Its a special part of medicade for breast cancer cervical cancer prevention - so it only covers my cancer treatment. I am single and have my 2 daughters and 2 granddaughters living with me -- but its worth a try. I have paid nothing out of pocket so far and I was diagnosed on March 17, 2009.

I have read and there are people on here who are 10 yr survivors living with stage IV -- so thats my plan and Im sure ya'lls plan for your wife!!!!

Libby

hi libby,
    thanks for the

hi libby,

thanks for the info.

we have read up too, and have seen someone going on 17 years! we hope 10+ years too!