decadron--need help!!!

Tinabug
Tinabug Member Posts: 158
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I start chemo tomorrow & I'm trying to make sure I have everything in order. I have a prescription for Decadron, but I don't know when I am supposed to take it. I called the pharmacy who filled it this wk & she said she couldn't read my doctors writting. So now it is Sunday night & I don't know what to do...please help if you can. The bottle states to take twice daily for 2 days with chemo...is that today & tomorrow or tomorrow & Tuesday.

Thanks,
Tina

Comments

• Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Decadron
    Hi Tina,

As I remember, and others will correct me if I'm wrong, Decadron is a steroid to help stave off the effects of chemo. You shouldn't need to take it until the day of your chemo.

Take it with you to get your chemo, and give it to the nurses at your treatment center. Call your doctors office tomorrow and ask how you should take it. That's so frustrating that they couldn't be helpful at the pharmacy! Staring chemo is scary enough and then not sure how to take your meds. So not what you need right now.

I'm sorry that you have to go through this, and I'm praying that your first day of chemo will be peaceful and completely uneventful.

Bless you,
    dh
  • boppel
    boppel Member Posts: 26

Decadron
    Hi Tina,

As I remember, and others will correct me if I'm wrong, Decadron is a steroid to help stave off the effects of chemo. You shouldn't need to take it until the day of your chemo.

Take it with you to get your chemo, and give it to the nurses at your treatment center. Call your doctors office tomorrow and ask how you should take it. That's so frustrating that they couldn't be helpful at the pharmacy! Staring chemo is scary enough and then not sure how to take your meds. So not what you need right now.

I'm sorry that you have to go through this, and I'm praying that your first day of chemo will be peaceful and completely uneventful.

Bless you,
    dh

Decadron
    DH is right, I also received it at the oncos office with the fluid IV before the chemo, it helped with the nausea. So sorry they could not help you at the pharmacy. I wish you the best and hope it will be smooth sailing. Hugs emmi
  • Whoknowz
    Whoknowz Member Posts: 82
    My prescription was for 3
    My prescription was for 3 days -- the day before, the day of and the day after. I'd wait and ask though. They always watch closely during chemo especially the first time, so they'll make sure you're OK. The pharmacist should have called the dr's office to clarify the prescription before giving it to you.

Good luck.

Angela
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Decadron is a steriod given to help with side effects
    The script I had was for 2 pills to be taken twice a day am and pm the day before chemo and the day after chemo. They also gave me decadron as a pre-med with chemo.

Emend is taken the day of chemo and 2 days after. Super drug also for side effects

Donna
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762

Decadron is a steriod given to help with side effects
    The script I had was for 2 pills to be taken twice a day am and pm the day before chemo and the day after chemo. They also gave me decadron as a pre-med with chemo.

Emend is taken the day of chemo and 2 days after. Super drug also for side effects

Donna

I know this will only confuse you...
    But I'm taking it right before the Taxol intravenously. It WORKS!!! What is your chemo you're taking tomorrow?
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Mama G said:

I know this will only confuse you...
    But I'm taking it right before the Taxol intravenously. It WORKS!!! What is your chemo you're taking tomorrow?

Donna is correct
    Day before Chemo and day after Chemo. When you have Chemo they give you steroids via IV. You do not need to take Decandron pills on the day of your Chemo, because they suppose to do it. Talk to your doctor!
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Tinabug,
    How did it go for

Tinabug,

How did it go for you today? Please post when able.

Hugs & prayers, Sue