Shoulder Pain/Funding Treatment... Scared

breathingwater76
breathingwater76 Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was diagnosed last week. My biopsy was 2 weeks ago. I have no insurance & not sure how anything beyond this will be paid as I'm unemployed. I'm only 33. I can't tell if I'm being paranoid or it's anxiety but my armpit & shoulder & right arm all hurt a little. My breast hurts too. Obviously I'm still recovering from the biopsy but I'm terrified that if I don't get treatment ASAP the cancer is spreading all over me & it'll be too late. Has anyone else had this? Chest pain, shoulder, arm pit? I can't tell if I feel anything there but I'm so scared. Please help me relax. I'm about to jump out of my skin! I hate waiting all the time to see if it's cancer, then to know if I qualify for Medicaid---what if I don't? What do I do?

Comments

• Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Hi ♥
    You are not being paranoid, you are just scared like all of us are. It is very normal. You are still pretty fresh out of surgery, but, you might want to call your plastic surgeon and go over the pain that you are having with him. He should be able to tell you if it normal or if he should see you.

As far as money, contact the American Cancer Society. They can put you in touch with someone that might be able to help you. Also, contact your hospital, the social worker there or even your doctor and explain your situation to them. I am sure they will be willing to work with you.

Please breathe and try to relax. We are here for you..always!

Love, Jeanne ♥</♥</font>
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Breathingwater76, I am so
    Breathingwater76, I am so sorry you are facing your diagnosis and money worries, too. You will receive the treatment you need. There are local and national programs, such as ACS and Komen, and Medicaid assistance should be available also. Many sisters in pink, I regret to say, have been without insurance and yet received full treatment. Your doctors will also be able to direct you to clinic/hospital programs there. One thing you can do any time, day or night, is to call the ACS. The number is on the main page of this site.

It sounds as if you are having a panic attack. Lord knows, a cancer diagnosis is just cause for a panic reaction. After my first appt with him, my onc. later wrote that "patient appeared very anxious." Well, if he'd been on the other end of the diagnosis, he might have felt "anxious" too.!

As far as your shoulder, etc, pain, most cancers do not spread that quickly. Also, some cancerous tumors are painful, but most are not. Whatever you usually do to relax, that is what I suggest. I have taken Benadryl to help me sleep. Your docs can prescribe Zanax or Ativan or something milder to help you. Many of us who have been diagnosed have gotten by with help from a sedative from time to time. Anything that distracts you is a good thing right now as well.

Wish I could help you more, Breathingwater76. Maybe it will help you to know now is about the worst time--the in-between time, before treatment begins,when you are imagining the worst. It will get better. Other women will chime in, I'm sure. You will find much support and understanding here. You are not alone.
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Breathingwater please take a
    Breathingwater please take a deep breath and try to chill for a moment. Cancer doesnt spread that fast. The chest pain could be stress induced. There is discomfort after a biopsy but stress exacerbates things. A cancer diagnosis is unnerving, but the treatments today far exceed what they had 10 years ago. Get in contact with all the avenues suggested. There is help for you and you will get thru this.

Take it a day at a time, or a minute at a time and if you believe in prayer, please pray for calm. God did not bring you this far to abandon you. You will not be abandoned. Keep on posting and let us know how you are doing. It is so hard not to worry about all the things you have going on, please let that worry turn to positive action. We are all survivors and you will survive. My prayers are going out to you. Sending cyber hugs your way.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    natly15 said:

Breathingwater please take a
    Breathingwater please take a deep breath and try to chill for a moment. Cancer doesnt spread that fast. The chest pain could be stress induced. There is discomfort after a biopsy but stress exacerbates things. A cancer diagnosis is unnerving, but the treatments today far exceed what they had 10 years ago. Get in contact with all the avenues suggested. There is help for you and you will get thru this.

Take it a day at a time, or a minute at a time and if you believe in prayer, please pray for calm. God did not bring you this far to abandon you. You will not be abandoned. Keep on posting and let us know how you are doing. It is so hard not to worry about all the things you have going on, please let that worry turn to positive action. We are all survivors and you will survive. My prayers are going out to you. Sending cyber hugs your way.

Sending you a hug
    I hope you contacted the places that everyone told you about. They can help you. Let us know what you find out and how you are doing.

Hugs, Leeza