Ejection fraction of heart

tommaseena
tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have had an echocardiogram at least every three months and for a period every week because the ejection fraction-which tells the doctors how your heart is pumping went low from the chemo treatments but never low enough to stop my treatments.

I went for one on Tuesday and my EF(ejection fraction) is at 62%--the norm they say is 40-55%. My EF is higher now then it was before I started treatment. So this is one good thing that has happened.

Hugs to all,
Margo

Comments

• Jacque101
    Jacque101 Member Posts: 75
    MUGA Scan
    MUGA Scan is what they gave me. The scoring sounds like what I received. I had a 60% and was told this was in normal range. Then in my "non-medical" experience I thought that 100% would be a better score WRONG. We are both doing good w/ our 60%. Lets hope we keep it that way. I don't know if or when I'll be having another. Good luck to you. :)
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Hey there Margo... I don't
    Hey there Margo... I don't know a thing about ejection fraction... So, if you say it's a good thing, than I will smile and happily celebrate that wonderful news with you... after all, I do know about hot water tanks, and running out of fuel... and shoveling snow...so after a week of those three, you my friend deserved to hear something good!

♥ & hugs,

~T
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Great good news! Hugs.

Great good news! Hugs.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Marcia527 said:

Great good news! Hugs.

Great good news! Hugs.

that is great news!!!!!

that is great news!!!!!
  • Zhentup
    Zhentup Member Posts: 43
    carkris said:

that is great news!!!!!

that is great news!!!!!

Excellent
    Great news Margo!!!
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Wonderful News
    That is one excellent thing that has happened! I am so relieved and happy for you, Margo.

(Just be careful up there shovelling snow, Yankee girl.)
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    WOO HOO!
    Have a GREAT weekend, dear friend!

Kindest regards,
    Susan xo
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Margo
    I will jump on the band wagon here. Because I didn't that was a good thing
    and that was even a possibility. Telling ya, learn so much on here.

So WOOOHOOOOO

Ayse
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    aysemari said:

Margo
    I will jump on the band wagon here. Because I didn't that was a good thing
    and that was even a possibility. Telling ya, learn so much on here.

So WOOOHOOOOO

Ayse

Normal
    The cardiologist that I saw a few months back said that most people ejection fraction is 40-55%. So maybe with Lisinopril and different exercise which includes shoveling snow from everywhere even the roof it has helped my heart. I was told if the ejection fraction goes below 40 then you have to take a break from your treatments or discontinue treatments all together.

I want to be able to continue my Herceptin treatments as long as my body allows so those little monsters in my body die and don't come back.

We are all warriors no matter what type of treatment we have--we will beat this beast.

Hugs,
    Margo

P.S. the ejection fraction shows how your heart is pumping the blood in and out. If the EF is low then that means your heart is not pumping as it should.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000

WOO HOO!
    Have a GREAT weekend, dear friend!

Kindest regards,
    Susan xo

That is great news
    That is great news Margo!

Megan
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member

Normal
    The cardiologist that I saw a few months back said that most people ejection fraction is 40-55%. So maybe with Lisinopril and different exercise which includes shoveling snow from everywhere even the roof it has helped my heart. I was told if the ejection fraction goes below 40 then you have to take a break from your treatments or discontinue treatments all together.

I want to be able to continue my Herceptin treatments as long as my body allows so those little monsters in my body die and don't come back.

We are all warriors no matter what type of treatment we have--we will beat this beast.

Hugs,
    Margo

P.S. the ejection fraction shows how your heart is pumping the blood in and out. If the EF is low then that means your heart is not pumping as it should.

Anybody else...?...anybody...?
    Margo,

I'm doing a happy dance on your behalf for your strong heart (how could it not be, with your strong little man in it), and your health is certainly nothing to joke about....

...but I have to ask: Is it just me, or is anyone else trying to get the subject line of your post to fit the melody of that Bonnie Tyler song from the 80s? Anyone? Anyone?

I blame chemo -- a little-known side effect, I'm sure.

:-) Traci
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    TraciInLA said:

Anybody else...?...anybody...?
    Margo,

I'm doing a happy dance on your behalf for your strong heart (how could it not be, with your strong little man in it), and your health is certainly nothing to joke about....

...but I have to ask: Is it just me, or is anyone else trying to get the subject line of your post to fit the melody of that Bonnie Tyler song from the 80s? Anyone? Anyone?

I blame chemo -- a little-known side effect, I'm sure.

:-) Traci

Traci,
    Funny you said that

Traci,
    Funny you said that about the subject line. I was trying to make it work with the School House Rock "Conjunction Junction". I think that we must somehow be related. You must be the other daughter I wanted to have. And it can't be chemo brain only because I didn't have chemo and I am not sure that I have a brain. LOL
    Stef
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    fauxma said:

Traci,
    Funny you said that

Traci,
    Funny you said that about the subject line. I was trying to make it work with the School House Rock "Conjunction Junction". I think that we must somehow be related. You must be the other daughter I wanted to have. And it can't be chemo brain only because I didn't have chemo and I am not sure that I have a brain. LOL
    Stef

Conjunction Junction, what's your function...?
    Oooh Stef, "Conjunction Junction" -- that works so much better than "Total Eclipse of the Heart"! I loved Schoolhouse Rock....

Traci
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi Margo
    I havent posted in an age...glad to hear your ejection fraction was at 62 percent. I started at 70 percent, dropped down to 66 percent then down to 52 percent after chemo and the second round of herceptin at the every 3 wk dose. I had to hold my dose for 1 month then I had a repeat muga on the 28 of dec and it was back up to 59 percent so I restarted the herceptin.

I also had my tissue expander replaced on the right side on the 4th of january and have had 3 rounds of antibiotics for cellulitis...needless to say, I am laying low to get healed, then I can start the fills...sigh...

Anywhooooo....glad you are doing well

Take care
    LInda T