Breast cancer, bilateral mastectomies and Lupus

Tracy329
Tracy329 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi everyone - I am brand new to the network. I was diagnosed in July 09 with breast cancer. Expected due to the high family incidence (mother, sister, 5 aunts). I underwent bilateral mastectomies, sentinel node biopsy and so far 4 of 6 chemo treatments. Chemo has not been unbearable but suffer more with the mastectomies incision site. I also have Lupus and Crohn's disease. Wondering if anyone out there experiencing issues because of these diseases and the cancer treatments?

Comments

• mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Welcome, Tracy
    It sounds like you've been through a lot. Almost done with chemo, though! I don't have experience with Lupus or Chron's disease, but I know there are a few ladies here who are also dealing with either of these conditions. Hopefully one of them will chime in. Good luck and keep posting.

Mimi
  • Darlene_Mays
    Darlene_Mays Member Posts: 20
    Krohns, etc
    Hi...I too, am new to this site, having been diagnosed w/triple negative breast cancer in December, 09. I had sentinel node surgery, lympectomy, etc. Just had a port put in yesterday (great fun). but, I also have ulcerative colitus..not quite Krohns, but related I believe. I am 62. How are you tolerating all the "stuff"? I mostly do ok, but there are days when it's all a bit over-whelming. Looking forward to hearing from you.
  • Tracy329

Krohns, etc
    Hi...I too, am new to this site, having been diagnosed w/triple negative breast cancer in December, 09. I had sentinel node surgery, lympectomy, etc. Just had a port put in yesterday (great fun). but, I also have ulcerative colitus..not quite Krohns, but related I believe. I am 62. How are you tolerating all the "stuff"? I mostly do ok, but there are days when it's all a bit over-whelming. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hi Darlene - UC is similar
    Hi Darlene - UC is similar to Crohn's. It's odd but the chemo has not really been too bad if you can get past the effects of the steroids. For 10 days after treatment I am a basket case of emotions - tears at the drop of a hat for no apparent reason. Heart racing, can't sleep even though you are exhausted. Starving all the time, yet nothing tastes or smells good. Feel like I have the flu all the time, joint aches, muscle aches, fibromyalgia. I have had bouts of a day or two with diarrhea but Imodium takes care of that. Hopefully your UC will not flare with your treatments but if it does maybe your doctor will recommend that.
    My biggest recurring issue is the scar from behind my left shoulder all the way to my right shoulder from the mastectomies. It has healed perfectly but with the chemo it feels very tight as if a metal band is strapped around me. Not sure if this is a result of the steroids or lupus. Oncologist and the nurses don't seem to know why this is happening. Also makes me very aware of the port.
    Anyway - I am looking forward to getting the last two treatments out of the way - will be done by end of Feb.
    Hope you are doing well in spite of nasty treatments. Best advice I have gotten is to get through one day at a time and try to have patience. This too will pass.
    Good luck ---
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Tracy329 said:

Hi Darlene - UC is similar
    Hi Darlene - UC is similar to Crohn's. It's odd but the chemo has not really been too bad if you can get past the effects of the steroids. For 10 days after treatment I am a basket case of emotions - tears at the drop of a hat for no apparent reason. Heart racing, can't sleep even though you are exhausted. Starving all the time, yet nothing tastes or smells good. Feel like I have the flu all the time, joint aches, muscle aches, fibromyalgia. I have had bouts of a day or two with diarrhea but Imodium takes care of that. Hopefully your UC will not flare with your treatments but if it does maybe your doctor will recommend that.
    My biggest recurring issue is the scar from behind my left shoulder all the way to my right shoulder from the mastectomies. It has healed perfectly but with the chemo it feels very tight as if a metal band is strapped around me. Not sure if this is a result of the steroids or lupus. Oncologist and the nurses don't seem to know why this is happening. Also makes me very aware of the port.
    Anyway - I am looking forward to getting the last two treatments out of the way - will be done by end of Feb.
    Hope you are doing well in spite of nasty treatments. Best advice I have gotten is to get through one day at a time and try to have patience. This too will pass.
    Good luck ---

Hi Tracy and welcome. I am
    Hi Tracy and welcome. I am so sorry that you have to go thru this. Just know that we are all here to help you. It is true, take one day at a time. You can do it!

HUGS
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Hi Tracy and welcome. I am
    Hi Tracy and welcome. I am so sorry that you have to go thru this. Just know that we are all here to help you. It is true, take one day at a time. You can do it!

HUGS

Can you get PT? I see a Pt
    Can you get PT? I see a Pt that specializeds in BC lymphedema. she checked out my scars. I know it has been difficult for me to get there as I did not have a good go of it. but it may help
  • Tracy329
    carkris said:

Can you get PT? I see a Pt
    Can you get PT? I see a Pt that specializeds in BC lymphedema. she checked out my scars. I know it has been difficult for me to get there as I did not have a good go of it. but it may help

Hi and thanks for the
    Hi and thanks for the suggestion. I do go to therapy sometimes twice a week,especially right after chemo and it helps for the day, but the therapist says the tightness is not all related to the fluid and chemo. So I was wondering how lupus affects the whole mess and if it will be an ongoing problem?
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Tracy329 said:

Hi and thanks for the
    Hi and thanks for the suggestion. I do go to therapy sometimes twice a week,especially right after chemo and it helps for the day, but the therapist says the tightness is not all related to the fluid and chemo. So I was wondering how lupus affects the whole mess and if it will be an ongoing problem?

I hope that your therapy
    I hope that your therapy works for you Tracy!

Angie