Shout out to all California Sisters!

KathiM
KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have just been reading the weather forecasts...please, please be careful...a double whammy...El Nino and the Pineapple effect...one guy from Cal State Fullerton said likely to get a whole season's worth of rain in the next 5-10 days...

Please take care and watch the forecast in your area before you venture out!!!

Hugs from Holland, Kathi

Comments

• chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Thanks, sweetie~ it is
    Thanks, sweetie~ it is indeed ugly here! We do have an El Nino coupled with the Pineapple express...most of the major piers have been closed; waves are above 25 feet! It has been raining every day this week, and promises to keep raining until Monday~ thunder and lightning ( as you know, that is very unusual for our neck of the woods!) hail, and about ( yikes!) an inch of rain an hour! Some of La Canada/Flintridge has been evacautated ~ 200 homes, I think because of the very real possobility of mudslides from the sunnmer wildfires. There were pictures of some streets in Long Beach being traversed by kayak.

I hope you are feeling better~ I was sorry when you wrote about falling while playing, and sadder yet that you REALLY hurt yourself! :-( Hope you are mending quickly.

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • chenheart
    GRRRRRRR!
    See? The wind makes the posts repeat multiple times! It isn't my fault! LOL
  • chenheart
    Multiple posts, anyone????
    Computer glitch!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • KathiM
    chenheart said:

Thanks, sweetie~ it is
    Thanks, sweetie~ it is indeed ugly here! We do have an El Nino coupled with the Pineapple express...most of the major piers have been closed; waves are above 25 feet! It has been raining every day this week, and promises to keep raining until Monday~ thunder and lightning ( as you know, that is very unusual for our neck of the woods!) hail, and about ( yikes!) an inch of rain an hour! Some of La Canada/Flintridge has been evacautated ~ 200 homes, I think because of the very real possobility of mudslides from the sunnmer wildfires. There were pictures of some streets in Long Beach being traversed by kayak.

I hope you are feeling better~ I was sorry when you wrote about falling while playing, and sadder yet that you REALLY hurt yourself! :-( Hope you are mending quickly.

Hugs,
    Chen♥

I'm much better....
    And there is no more ice to tempt me....

Please be careful, my dear...and I will look at the newspapers for the area...you are so smart!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    chenheart said:

GRRRRRRR!
    See? The wind makes the posts repeat multiple times! It isn't my fault! LOL

Kathi
    Thank you for your concerns. Yes it is very ugly almost everywhere. Some areas, especially those being burned, have bee affected more than others. Driving is very difficult I have limited it to absolutely necessary trips. It is snowing in the mountains. GrapeVine /Tejon Pass is closed. Should be better by weekend.
    New Flower
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Thanks for this thread, Kathi...
    Like you, I've been aware of the weather threats against our many SoCal pink sisters.

Claudia - Glad you're OK, and hope it stays that way for ya.

Hoping others from the area chime in here...

Kind regards,
    Susan
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Thanks for your concern!
    I am fortunately not in an area that's been affected by floods or mudslides, so am just having to deal with the inevitable traffic snarls that rain always brings to the L.A. area. It's supposed to get worse today, but then better, with a couple of days of sunshine by Sunday/Monday before we get more rain again.

We do need the moisture, but all the rain at once is not good for the hillsides that have been so recently burned.

Hope the rest of you down here are OK!
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    I am on the other side of the country
    But please be careful all of my California sisters! Hope all of your houses are safe and you can watch the rain, cozy and dry indoors. And so sorry you hurt yourself, Kathi! Hope you're much better now.

Mimi
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    mimivac said:

I am on the other side of the country
    But please be careful all of my California sisters! Hope all of your houses are safe and you can watch the rain, cozy and dry indoors. And so sorry you hurt yourself, Kathi! Hope you're much better now.

Mimi

Be careful and stay safe

Be careful and stay safe
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Kat11 said:

Be careful and stay safe

Be careful and stay safe

We have had lots of rain,
    We have had lots of rain, thunder, lightening and trees falling but we are okay in my area. Other areas around Northern California are experiencing some road slides and flooding and Pacifica is having some major cliff fallling issues (an apartment complex has been evacuated and is in serious danger) They are working on trying to shore up the cliff but with waves 21 ft and serge and high tides it might be futile. But all in all, we seem to be weathering the storms and we need the rain. Just didn't need it all in one week. LOL
    Stef
  • peacefulheart
    peacefulheart Member Posts: 34
    California
    Kathi,

It was pouring rain this morning and I debated about driving to radiation. On the way over it wasn't too bad but on the way home traffic was going 35 mph and usually here in San Diego 75 mph is the norm. I got home safe and believe my guardian angel was with me. And I was glad I didn't miss radiation.

Thanks for your good wishes!

Cathy
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988

California
    Kathi,

It was pouring rain this morning and I debated about driving to radiation. On the way over it wasn't too bad but on the way home traffic was going 35 mph and usually here in San Diego 75 mph is the norm. I got home safe and believe my guardian angel was with me. And I was glad I didn't miss radiation.

Thanks for your good wishes!

Cathy

Good to hear that all of you
    Good to hear that all of you are safe and sound. I have been in touch with my brother and his family who live in the San Diego area, and they are doing okay so far. Just be cautious, and watch the weather reports. I know you guys need the rain, but this is a bit much. Besides, it seems that what California gets, we eventually get here in East Texas. I'm just about soaked up with all of the rain we have had this year. (Lots of tornados in our area last night, in fact.) Keep dry everyone, and keep us posted on how the rains go in your area. You all are in my thoughts. Thanks, Kathi for posting. Hugs, Judy
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Our California Friends
    Yes,thanks, Kathi, for posting this. I have been thinking of Cat and Stef, RE and Joy and Claudia and all of our CA sisters and hoping they are not affected.
  • liz011808
    liz011808 Member Posts: 21

Good to hear that all of you
    Good to hear that all of you are safe and sound. I have been in touch with my brother and his family who live in the San Diego area, and they are doing okay so far. Just be cautious, and watch the weather reports. I know you guys need the rain, but this is a bit much. Besides, it seems that what California gets, we eventually get here in East Texas. I'm just about soaked up with all of the rain we have had this year. (Lots of tornados in our area last night, in fact.) Keep dry everyone, and keep us posted on how the rains go in your area. You all are in my thoughts. Thanks, Kathi for posting. Hugs, Judy

Rain,Rain and more rain
    Here in the South Bay (San Jose)the rain seems endless.
    It is pouring everyday and driving is so hard. Good thing
    I work at night and the rain stop but will come back the
    next day and I'm already home when it start to pour again.
    Some of my orchids and cactus are getting too much of water,
    not good for them.

God bless,
    Liz
  • KathiM
    I heard from my daughter...
    Other than LOTS of rain, everything is ok in Redlands...that's in So Calif.

She has been to lunch with my mom, and so I know they are both ok...

Hugs to you all!!!!
    Kathi
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    KathiM said:

I heard from my daughter...
    Other than LOTS of rain, everything is ok in Redlands...that's in So Calif.

She has been to lunch with my mom, and so I know they are both ok...

Hugs to you all!!!!
    Kathi

Ok in SoCal
    Very glad to hear this. Thanks again, Kathi, and everyone who posted in.

Kathi, glad to hear your mom and daughter are ok. You and Hans must be relieved. Now you can enjoy that skate you put on hold. (what a beautiful scene, you in your blue against the white snow).
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    thanks for the shout out Kathi
    We are hanging on here in So Cal. Rain, rain and more rain, watching the news, Long Beach had a tornado?? Weird. We have had lots of thunder, lightning, hail, winds etc. Not normal for us. Our front steps were covered in mud the first day of heavy rain, but all seems to be staying where it belongs now.
    Thanks!
    Cat
  • sallyf
    sallyf Member Posts: 33
    Rain, Rain, Rain
    Thanks Kathi!

I live in Santa Barbara, CA. Yeah, we're almost floating out to sea. This kind of weather can make a chemo girl depressed, but I say, "Get up off my butt and DO something." That'll make me feel better : )