has anyone had to face tooth extraction while on chemo

hamish1
hamish1 Member Posts: 34
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have begun my chemo treatments (1) of 4. 2 days after receiving my first chemo, I developed an abcessed tooth from a tooth that I had lost a cap off, but thought it would be okay, since it didn't hurt. The Onco immediately started me on an antibiotic and had me go to my dentist.(saw him 3 days later) He suggested I just wait to have it extracted after the chemo is finished since it was no longer hurting me. It's now sore again, and I can see a swelling along the gum line. I know it needs to come out, but I'm scared to death now since I'm taking the chemo, lnowing what it does to my white blood count. Has anybody else out there had to have a tooth pulled during Chemo time?

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Yes, I did. The tooth was a
    Yes, I did. The tooth was a molar and I had it extracted on the week before my chemo treatment. That was the "best" week as far as all of my counts, etc. were concerned. I took chemo every 3 weeks. I didn't have any problem with it. Did you ask your onco about having it extracted? If not, I would recommend that you do that first. I did ask mine and was instructed to have my blood draws weekly as usual and they would decide right after looking at the counts. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Take care.
  • xskeetshooter
    xskeetshooter Member Posts: 169
    tooth
    i had 2 bad teeth before chemo, and my doc wouldnt start chemo till i had it out. that infection that is going thru you while you have a bad tooth is no good, i would ask your doc right away.good luck
  • hamish1
    hamish1 Member Posts: 34

tooth
    i had 2 bad teeth before chemo, and my doc wouldnt start chemo till i had it out. that infection that is going thru you while you have a bad tooth is no good, i would ask your doc right away.good luck

Thanks for your replies!
    I made contact with my Oncologist after I posted today, and he wants to see me in the morning. They will check the tooth and order some blood work, then decide what to do with me. Please pray for me, because everything new that pops up, scares me to death.
  • imackie48
    imackie48 Member Posts: 96
    hamish1 said:

Thanks for your replies!
    I made contact with my Oncologist after I posted today, and he wants to see me in the morning. They will check the tooth and order some blood work, then decide what to do with me. Please pray for me, because everything new that pops up, scares me to death.

Same problem
    I know its been a while,,but I'm in the same situation my dentist wants to pull my old root canal. On antibiotics
    Irene
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    imackie48 said:

Same problem
    I know its been a while,,but I'm in the same situation my dentist wants to pull my old root canal. On antibiotics
    Irene

Just had it done...
    I just had a molar extracted two weeks ago...and I am on chemo, on 7 days and off 7 days....with an abscessed tooth, the infection must be cleared up before they will extract it...abcess was not my problem....long story.......and I would HIGHLY recommend letting an oral surgeon do it rather than a general dentist...I even went to sleep to have it extracted...nice.....I had no choice...it had to come out...the oral surgeon did put me on an antibiotic for 10 days as a precaution....have not had the first problem....my blood work was fine before and remains so....I was very surprised at how very current and up to date my dentist and the oral surgeon were on chemo drugs and their effect on our dental health....

Good luck,
    Hugs, Nancy