canoegirl
canoegirl Member Posts: 169
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi Everybody. Just started coming to the site. Had my surgery last Thurs (1/14/10) Mammo showed a 3.4 cm mass, plus 2 other areas that all came back positive for IDC. Not sure why I couldn't feel it myself, but it was "deep". Radiation is up in the air until after the pathology reports are in, so I am postponing reconstruction, but they did put in a tissue expander. I go back Friday to have the drains removed (hopefully) and get the pathology report. I've been doing well, not TOO much pain, etc., but tonight I feel like someone has put a huge rubberband around my chest. Is this normal? Am I not stretching enough? Too much? when I do the exercises I can put my arm straigt out. They said to not go over my shoulder level till after they remove the drains.
All advise/comments welcome,
Thanks,Marcy

Comments

• jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    Welcome Marcy!
    Welcome to the site! You are gonna find a wealth of love and support here. There are lots of women that have had the full gamut of treatments and will be able to support you all the way thru. It sounds like you already had a mastectomy as you mentioned a tissue expander...

I was diagnosed Nov 12, 09 w/IDC, had a lumpectomy, sentinel node bx was negative, ER/PR + and HER2 negative. I'm just finishing a course of radiation (last treatment is TOMORROW!) and will start tamoxifen on 27 Jan.

It sounds like you still have a lot of data to collect, info about your tumor type, hormone receptivity (that's what the ER/PR stuff means)...you'll be amazed at how fast you will learn to speak the language of bc.

Anyway, mostly just wanted to welcome you to the site. Lots of others will be chiming in on sensations post-mastectomy.

God Bless...
    Julie
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    jbug said:

Welcome Marcy!
    Welcome to the site! You are gonna find a wealth of love and support here. There are lots of women that have had the full gamut of treatments and will be able to support you all the way thru. It sounds like you already had a mastectomy as you mentioned a tissue expander...

I was diagnosed Nov 12, 09 w/IDC, had a lumpectomy, sentinel node bx was negative, ER/PR + and HER2 negative. I'm just finishing a course of radiation (last treatment is TOMORROW!) and will start tamoxifen on 27 Jan.

It sounds like you still have a lot of data to collect, info about your tumor type, hormone receptivity (that's what the ER/PR stuff means)...you'll be amazed at how fast you will learn to speak the language of bc.

Anyway, mostly just wanted to welcome you to the site. Lots of others will be chiming in on sensations post-mastectomy.

God Bless...
    Julie

Hi Marcy
    I was diagnosed in April 09 with IDC. Had lumpectomy. Had 2 nodes positive so had to do chemo. I am now in Rads. The next few weeks you will be getting a lot of information. I know how scared you are, just hang in there. It not a picnic, but it is all doable. Hugs
    Kathy
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Kat11 said:

Hi Marcy
    I was diagnosed in April 09 with IDC. Had lumpectomy. Had 2 nodes positive so had to do chemo. I am now in Rads. The next few weeks you will be getting a lot of information. I know how scared you are, just hang in there. It not a picnic, but it is all doable. Hugs
    Kathy

Hi Marcy,
    Welcome to the site. I had a mastecomy 9-11 and don't recall that feeling, but I am not having reconstruction so didn't have any expander. The drain is a huge pain in the neck and it's great when it comes out. Are you able to breath easily? Do you still have that same feeling around your chest? If you are not able to breath maybe you sould call your doctor or go to the ER. If it's just a tight feeling call your doc in the morning. Perhaps you have exercised too much. Your doc can advise you. Once you get your pathology report you will know where you are going and what course of treatment. Everyone here is full of great love and support. Everyone is hoping for the best report possible. Please keep us posted.

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Skeezie said:

Hi Marcy,
    Welcome to the site. I had a mastecomy 9-11 and don't recall that feeling, but I am not having reconstruction so didn't have any expander. The drain is a huge pain in the neck and it's great when it comes out. Are you able to breath easily? Do you still have that same feeling around your chest? If you are not able to breath maybe you sould call your doctor or go to the ER. If it's just a tight feeling call your doc in the morning. Perhaps you have exercised too much. Your doc can advise you. Once you get your pathology report you will know where you are going and what course of treatment. Everyone here is full of great love and support. Everyone is hoping for the best report possible. Please keep us posted.

Hugs, Judy :-)

Hi Marcy ♥
    I would like to welcome you to the site, though sorry for the reason. I wish you the best of luck with your pathology report. Praying that it is clean! Let us know when you can! Rest and relax for now!

Love, Jeanne ♥</♥</font>
  • sallyf
    sallyf Member Posts: 33
    Hi Marcy!
    Welcome to this awesome site.
    I'm sorry you're having pain across your chest. There could be many reasons for this, so I agree you should call your doctor in the AM. I will tell you that I tried to do a little vacuuming about 10 days after my 2nd surgery, and boy did I pay for it. Both arm and chest pain!
    If you think it's muscular pain, like it hurts when you touch that area, a heating pad on low can feel nice.

Hope you feel better soon! Call you doc : )

Sally
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Warm welcome, Marcy
    We're all here to support and encourage each other. Regarding the pain you're experiencing - I suggest you contact your surgeon. Healing can be quite different for each of us.

In the meantime, will be hoping for the best possible results from your final post-surgery pathology report.

Keep us posted. Best wishes to you.

Kind regards,
    Susan
  • canoegirl
    canoegirl Member Posts: 169

Warm welcome, Marcy
    We're all here to support and encourage each other. Regarding the pain you're experiencing - I suggest you contact your surgeon. Healing can be quite different for each of us.

In the meantime, will be hoping for the best possible results from your final post-surgery pathology report.

Kind regards,
    Susan

Better this morning
    Hi everybody.

Thanks for the welcome.

The tightness seems better this morning and last night one of my drains kicked out 40cc in 8 hours after totalling 30cc for 3 days straight. Maybe it was just fluid build-up or something. Nothing is hot, stitches look fines, etc. I was hoping to get the drains out tomorrow, but not sure they'll take out drain #1 now. Go to the PS on Monday, so he can take it out then if need be. I do know from my original biopsi (over 2 months ago at a different hospital where they were going to wait another few weeks for surgery) that I am ER/PR and HER/2 positive. The surgeon that did my surgery said to plan on chemo and herceptin. She said they couldn't rule out radiation till they know the node status.

Marcy
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    canoegirl said:

Better this morning
    Hi everybody.

Thanks for the welcome.

The tightness seems better this morning and last night one of my drains kicked out 40cc in 8 hours after totalling 30cc for 3 days straight. Maybe it was just fluid build-up or something. Nothing is hot, stitches look fines, etc. I was hoping to get the drains out tomorrow, but not sure they'll take out drain #1 now. Go to the PS on Monday, so he can take it out then if need be. I do know from my original biopsi (over 2 months ago at a different hospital where they were going to wait another few weeks for surgery) that I am ER/PR and HER/2 positive. The surgeon that did my surgery said to plan on chemo and herceptin. She said they couldn't rule out radiation till they know the node status.

Marcy

marcy
    I am also Her/2 positive. I finish the chemo part and now am continuing herceptin and I am currently doing Rads.I also just started the 5 year pill Tamoxifen. The Herceptin for me has no side affects. I now go every 3 weeks for that treatment.
    Kathy
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    canoegirl said:

Better this morning
    Hi everybody.

Thanks for the welcome.

Marcy

Marcy, glad to read you are
    Marcy, glad to read you are feeling better today!! I just wanted to welcome you to the site full of amazing people. And, I mean people that are supportive, caring, knowledgeable and loving. I have recently, Christmas Eve, finished my chemo and radiation treatments. I am off to the oncologist in an hour or so to discuss Arimidex. Keep posting here and we'll walk with you through all your treatments. Best of luck and take care.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    MyTurnNow said:

Marcy, glad to read you are
    Marcy, glad to read you are feeling better today!! I just wanted to welcome you to the site full of amazing people. And, I mean people that are supportive, caring, knowledgeable and loving. I have recently, Christmas Eve, finished my chemo and radiation treatments. I am off to the oncologist in an hour or so to discuss Arimidex. Keep posting here and we'll walk with you through all your treatments. Best of luck and take care.

Hey Marcy
    I am happy that you are better today. Good luck!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    canoegirl said:

Better this morning
    Hi everybody.

Thanks for the welcome.

Marcy

Hi Marcy and Welcome! Glad
    Hi Marcy and Welcome! Glad you are better. Always call your surgeon or oncologist if you feel you need to with any questions. That is their job. Hoping you continue to feel better!

Angie
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598

Warm welcome, Marcy

Kind regards,
    Susan

Welcome Marcy! You should
    Welcome Marcy! You should call your surgeon about the pain. He would be able to answer your questions better. Post and let us know what you find out.

Lex♥
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000

Warm welcome, Marcy

Kind regards,
    Susan

Hi Marcy and welcome! You
    Hi Marcy and welcome! You should call and talk to your surgeon about any pain you are having. Sending you healing thoughts!

Megan
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Welcome to the
    tribe, Marcy. There a lot of wonderful women on here. They
    will support, encourage and inspire you!

Ayse
  • newbiefromcananda
    newbiefromcananda Member Posts: 234
    welcome marcy!! you will
    welcome marcy!! you will find great advice and always someone to talk to on here as well...((hugs)))Lisa xo
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

welcome marcy!! you will
    welcome marcy!! you will find great advice and always someone to talk to on here as well...((hugs)))Lisa xo

Just want to welcome you
    Just want to welcome you Marcy and let you know that you are in with a great support group now.

HUGS
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Welcome
    Marcy!
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Welcome
    Welcome to the group. I am glad you are feeling better.

P